JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You just made my point for me. If your dog, with sensory perception thousands of times better than your own.....can be surprised by something as common as another dog, who's managing to be a ninja simply by NOT barking....than what's that say for his ability to behave as a proper resource for you? Also, take into account that you CANNOT trust that his behavior in a normal, routine life is going to be the same in a shtf scenario where everything will be different. The rules, the dangers, the emotions, the needs, the sensory inputs. It'll all be different. If it's what we're preparing for, than you're trusting at least one small part, (and maybe not so small) to an animal that would be willing, I'm sure, to die for you.......but has no logical judgment to decide when it's that time. I suppose that makes him a perfect distraction, and possible body shield of sorts. Unfortunately, distractions work two ways, and you've got to worry about what your dog is doing, and the safety of that animal. As for me...I can't do it.

P.S....Two guy's surprising each other in the woods wasn't the subject. But if it had been, that is one scenario where a dog might come in handy, I'll admit it. But I'd still choose to be the guy aware of the dog, than the guy responsible for the dog.
I've spent a lot of time in the woods......never yet been surprised by a man and a dog. You ALWAYS know they're coming. Well trained dogs respond to vocal commands. Wait........does your dog know combat hand signals??????

I came across a situation that made me think about the highlighted part of your statement. I was walking with my dog through the woods a couple days ago. We came on a younger guy walking the same direction as us. We surprised the bubblegum out of him. Had we pulled back a little we could have easily gone undetected. Which made me realize, . you've never yet been surprised by a man and a dog, that you knew was there. You ALWAYS know, the ones you are aware of, they're coming.

Well the kid at the local store said his girlfriend was hunting down the road from my place.She thought something was following her and she did in fact,find cougar dung.
I called mushrooms,as she had eaten them before hand.

Then I walked my dogs out there.My GSP mix always needs to be in front out about 20-30 yards. She wouldn't go but 10 feet in front of me with her head high and ears back.The big girl doing the same.I guess there may be a cat in there
They both stop when they hear someone coming,but then they both go to see what it is.

Sometimes they know things we don't,sometimes they react wrong to what they hear.
And when SHTF,they will react differently than they do now.You will act different and they will follow your lead.
Don't your dogs know when to GTFO of the way when you're mad?
Mine can feed themselves with whatever they find,**** they do that already.So food isn't a big problem

I would have to take them,but my big girl can't walk as far as me and the little girl isn't a whole lot better.

Actually Mel's dog in Road warriors would be a great dog to have around.They are very smart,good watch dogs and don't bark much.

I'll be set: my girlfriend's 5 pound Pomeranian and my 18 pound cat. Of course, I'll probably have to factor in all of my neighbor's cats too. They seem to be around my place all the time.

Gonna have to teach him to be a Gangsta like SVT-ROY's cat!

I'll be set: my girlfriend's 5 pound Pomeranian and my 18 pound cat. Of course, I'll probably have to factor in all of my neighbor's cats too. They seem to be around my place all the time.

Gonna have to teach him to be a Gangsta like SVT-ROY's cat!

At least you would have fresh bird all the time.

Two thumbs up for an Australian cattle dog.

IMGP0690.JPG

She keeps track of the house when we are away.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top