JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see your logic, and for the most part, I agree with you're take on the abilities and advantages. I just don't agree that the advantages overcome the disadvantages.....for me, and my dog. Maybe they would work out for you. Obviously you would not have come up with such a well-thought argument, if you had not given the subject the thought it deserves. The point of my earlier post, was to cause exactly that, with anyone who might read it. Many people look to these threads for some form of guidance when preparing. Every portion of the preparation should be deliberate, based on facts and not the romantic views that Hollywood pumps out. Everyone knows that dogs are mans best friend. No one will disagree that dogs haven't played an important part in the history of our culture. From honest to god "dogs of war", to fending off wild animal attacks.......history is full of examples of the wonderful relationship that humans have with our best friends..........but............Nah, no but. It just doesn't work for me. I've never owned a Lassie. I guess you either trust your dog or you don't...right? No offense, I didn't mean to judge your dog, just the idea in general. Everybody chooses what's best for them right? Cheers....

Also, since you seem to think we are putting too much stock in our dogs to provide extra "sensory" awareness, what are YOU counting on for this extra "sensory" awareness?

I'm not.........I just feel that my own perceptions are the best I can come up with. I guess it's sort of like the difference between guys who believe strongly in expensive gadgets -v- those who believe in only the basics. I trust certain people, certain equipment, and certain tools. Relying on too much (to me) other than your mind, is an invitation for a disastrous failure somewhere.

One last thing on advantages vs. disadvantages, for every time my dog has barked unnecessarily and there by (potentially) given my position away he has alerted me to the presence of another person, deer, squirrel, turkey, dog, etc X 10 without barking (by his posture, ear position, sniffing etc.) long before I was aware of the potential threat/food source. I understand dogs aren't for everyone, if you don't currently have a dog, a dog probably isn't for you in a SHTF scenario.

Last Edited:
I'd shut up and give you the last word, but I think it's important to re-state that I do have a dog. I've always had dogs, good ones. If someone is reading these posts for perspective, I would hate for them to get the idea that the person presenting one side of the argument is doing so from a state of ignorance.

Modern humans suffer from ruined senses, eyesight, smell and hearing are damaged in the 1st few years of thier artificaly extended lives.
Dogs, though bred into sub-catagorys maintain highly accute senses that work even while they sleep.
If you think keeping a dog is a 'burden' you have the option of depending on a cat.

I've spent a lot of time in the woods......never yet been surprised by a man and a dog. You ALWAYS know they're coming. Well trained dogs respond to vocal commands. Wait........does your dog know combat hand signals??????

I would agree with you on this point. Two of my dogs are trained with basic hand commands but mostly because I hate being the guy that has to yell at his dogs. If you've not trained your dogs for hand commands now's a good time to start ;)

-d

I would take my dog with on the road, in a shtf situation. He is big and furry, and keeps me warm at night. He doesn't like people and barks and growls whenever anybody comes up. He chases deer and rabbits. Maybe I could teach him to herd them my way so I could shoot them for food.

NOT that I'm arguing in favor of keeping cats as "guard" animals.....but I do have a cat who has acted in that capacity. On a few occasions he has been the one to wake us in the night by growling when bum's came into the yard. Dunno if he'd actually attack an intruder........but he WILL come and hurt anyone who talks on a cellphone with speakerphone on. For some reason it makes him reeeeeeeally pissed off!

You have to sleep sometime. You won't find a better night watchman for cheaper. My dogs are not hunters, but 99 percent of the time they let me know when someone has pulled into the driveway before I can hear them. The only prob is dog food storage. If we are putting out the claymores then there is not going to be grocery store trip for a while. Hard to store enough food for a 90 pound lab.

if you're not leaving the fort, an alternative option is guineas. They make great guard birds, and will forage for food. Stupid as ****, but they'll raise a ruckus if anything is going on.

if you're not leaving the fort, an alternative option is guineas. They make great guard birds, and will forage for food. Stupid as ****, but they'll raise a ruckus if anything is going on.

I'll testify to that. They are dumb as a rock, loud as ****...and have incredibly keen eyes. They are also insanely territorial. Only downside to that (aside from the irritation factor) is that you can't tell 'em to shut the **** up and the uncontrollable noise they do make would draw a hunter in pretty quickly.

One issue with dogs that are "pets" , or considered family members. Is that in a so-called SHTF scenario,the emotional attachment could lead you, or a family member into a very bad situation trying to protect your dog.

I am a dog lover. In 1970 I applied for Navy K9 Guard and Perimeter Dog school. I was rejected because the Basic Battery ["Psych Test"] entry exam indicated that I would develop too much emotional attachment to the
Dog, and would tend to rush in to protect it.

I would most definitely take my dog or dogs, but I wouldn't depend on them for anything other than possibly carrying a small pack, or acting as an alarm system. I would protect and defend them as quickly as I would any other family member.

you have the option of depending on a cat.
:s0114: Makes me think of MY cat. Fat lazy, can't even catch a fly. I wouldn't depend it for anything but a meager meal in SHTF situation. As for my dogs
1- 180 lb Rott male
1- 80 lb Rott female
1- 90 lb American Bulldog female
The only one I think I'd keep around would be the Bulldog, best guard dog I've got, doesn't just bark at everything, but is certainly AWARE of everything, and loyal to the death. The other two... maybe dog food?

My Retriever would probably be more of a PITA than anything but I love her like a kid so I guess I would have to compensate for any disadvantages the dog might cause me. Hopefully I could identify and alleviate those disadvantages in advance

Modern humans suffer from ruined senses, eyesight, smell and hearing are damaged in the 1st few years of thier artificaly extended lives.
Dogs, though bred into sub-catagorys maintain highly accute senses that work even while they sleep.
If you think keeping a dog is a 'burden' you have the option of depending on a cat.

I have no dog but if I did he would not be left behind. But I do have a cat who is a gangster.

IMG_20100927_044903.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads