JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dogs will stay/go with us. Better hearing, sense of smell, and night vision for sure. Plus they always agree with me, which helps when I ask for a "second opinion."

dontreadonme has the right idea with the Claymores. Who says you have to buy them. A little ingenuity, some fleshettes or BB shot, heavy curved plastic or even liquid plastic, a good shielded detonator and electrical generation source and you have a nice home made Claymore. Not that I would ever dream of doing such a thing...(for any ATF types snooping in). Just a mental exercise in what if the SHTF. Directional specific models using pipes, culverts, etc would also control specific high speed routes of entry, etc. Try a little variety for wide open spaces, like thin wire with split lead shot strung along it. Great for clearing brush as well.

Well its a good plan, but my dogs are to stupid for SHTF dogs.. One is a Pomeranian (annoying as he**) ok its her dogs but still... lol... and I have a 125 Chocolate lab thats pretty damn stupid... so they can come with but they wouldnt know good from bad lol

I'm not very sure that many of you are truly thinking this through. You've probably spent days, weeks, maybe months preparing for various scenario's. Packing, buying , digging, hiding, constructing, loading and practicing....and now SOME of you, are going to discard it. Rule #1 of survival.......low profile. Whether you're tracking through the woods, or sitting tight n dry in your home, what we've all been preparing for is the "just-in-case" we can't rely on society scenario. Your dog, whether a well trained hunting machine, or the ultimate home protection beast....is going to draw attention like fly's to crap. Dog's ALWAYS make noise. It's in their nature to bark. If you think you're dog would at least make a decent meal if necessary, what will every other jerk in the woods think of that noise? That "other" guy and his hungry family were probably about to walk right by your home, or your camp without even noticing it....but now your four legged best friend is advertising...."MEAT HERE...COME AND GET IT"! And guess what, that guy has his very own AK that he bought off NW forums. None of us are Luis or Clark...we are not stamping across the country looking for new lands. We are not armed with overwhelming firepower, no matter how expensive your AR was. We do not have guides. There is no romance, or adventure in Survival. One guy, up on a ridge with his 4X scope and trusty 10/22 who see's you first because your dog is yapping away at a squirrel....is gonna pop your *** before you know what happened. Probably not because he wants to eat your dog, but because he see's you......he see's your rifle....and he's scared. That's just one scenario.

We had a yellow lab for about 7 years, every time she barked I grabbed my gun because she did not bark without there being a serious threat. She really wasn't very well trained at all, just didn't bark lightly. She barked three times (when we were home) twice when someone wiggled our front door handle in the middle of the night and once when there was a stranger walking on our back deck. She loved chasing squirrels, snake, birds but never barked, it wasn't her nature. Our new dog (8 month old terrier) is something of a "little monster" but doesn't bark lightly either. He barks when another dog barks at him, when someone is knocking at our door, or when someone or something (like a non barking dog) surprises us when we're out on a walk. The last thing I look at as an advantage in a "them or me" situation, everything else being equal. Two men carrying rifles surprise each other in the woods, I want to be the one with the dog.

I'm not very sure that many of you are truly thinking this through. You've probably spent days, weeks, maybe months preparing for various scenario's. Packing, buying , digging, hiding, constructing, loading and practicing....and now SOME of you, are going to discard it. Rule #1 of survival.......low profile. Whether you're tracking through the woods, or sitting tight n dry in your home, what we've all been preparing for is the "just-in-case" we can't rely on society scenario. Your dog, whether a well trained hunting machine, or the ultimate home protection beast....is going to draw attention like fly's to crap. Dog's ALWAYS make noise. It's in their nature to bark. If you think you're dog would at least make a decent meal if necessary, what will every other jerk in the woods think of that noise? That "other" guy and his hungry family were probably about to walk right by your home, or your camp without even noticing it....but now your four legged best friend is advertising...."MEAT HERE...COME AND GET IT"! And guess what, that guy has his very own AK that he bought off NW forums. None of us are Luis or Clark...we are not stamping across the country looking for new lands. We are not armed with overwhelming firepower, no matter how expensive your AR was. We do not have guides. There is no romance, or adventure in Survival. One guy, up on a ridge with his 4X scope and trusty 10/22 who see's you first because your dog is yapping away at a squirrel....is gonna pop your *** before you know what happened. Probably not because he wants to eat your dog, but because he see's you......he see's your rifle....and he's scared. That's just one scenario.

None of us are Luis or Clark.............Spell check.

"we are not stamping" ............ Gave up stamping to collect guns. :s0114:

We are not armed with overwhelming firepower,............ Oh yes we are:s0155:

You just made my point for me. If your dog, with sensory perception thousands of times better than your own.....can be surprised by something as common as another dog, who's managing to be a ninja simply by NOT barking....than what's that say for his ability to behave as a proper resource for you? Also, take into account that you CANNOT trust that his behavior in a normal, routine life is going to be the same in a shtf scenario where everything will be different. The rules, the dangers, the emotions, the needs, the sensory inputs. It'll all be different. If it's what we're preparing for, than you're trusting at least one small part, (and maybe not so small) to an animal that would be willing, I'm sure, to die for you.......but has no logical judgment to decide when it's that time. I suppose that makes him a perfect distraction, and possible body shield of sorts. Unfortunately, distractions work two ways, and you've got to worry about what your dog is doing, and the safety of that animal. As for me...I can't do it.

P.S....Two guy's surprising each other in the woods wasn't the subject. But if it had been, that is one scenario where a dog might come in handy, I'll admit it. But I'd still choose to be the guy aware of the dog, than the guy responsible for the dog.
I've spent a lot of time in the woods......never yet been surprised by a man and a dog. You ALWAYS know they're coming. Well trained dogs respond to vocal commands. Wait........does your dog know combat hand signals??????

None of us are Luis or Clark.............Spell check.

"we are not stamping" ............ Gave up stamping to collect guns. :s0114:

We are not armed with overwhelming firepower,............ Oh yes we are:s0155:

I'm pretty sure at least a few of us are "Luis" or "Clark". Spell check can't catch everything.

overwhelming firepower? It's a stupid assumption, when you have no idea what your opponent has.

You just made my point for me. If your dog, with sensory perception thousands of times better than your own.....can be surprised by something as common as another dog, who's managing to be a ninja simply by NOT barking....than what's that say for his ability to behave as a proper resource for you? Also, take into account that you CANNOT trust that his behavior in a normal, routine life is going to be the same in a shtf scenario where everything will be different. The rules, the dangers, the emotions, the needs, the sensory inputs. It'll all be different. If it's what we're preparing for, than you're trusting at least one small part, (and maybe not so small) to an animal that would be willing, I'm sure, to die for you.......but has no logical judgment to decide when it's that time. I suppose that makes him a perfect distraction, and possible body shield of sorts. Unfortunately, distractions work two ways, and you've got to worry about what your dog is doing, and the safety of that animal. As for me...I can't do it.

P.S....Two guy's surprising each other in the woods wasn't the subject. But if it had been, that is one scenario where a dog might come in handy, I'll admit it. But I'd still choose to be the guy aware of the dog, than the guy responsible for the dog.
I've spent a lot of time in the woods......never yet been surprised by a man and a dog. You ALWAYS know they're coming. Well trained dogs respond to vocal commands. Wait........does your dog know combat hand signals??????

I seriously doubt my dog's emotions and needs are gonna change much in a SHTF situation, certainly not as much as my own. I'm am not going to trust his instincts any more in a SHTF situation than I do now. I am not going to shut down my senses because I have a dog and only trust his, that would be retarded. More eyes,ears, noses, and teeth increases my chances more than the CHANCE of my dog barking (at a non-threat) decreases my odds. I will certainly have to do my part to keep him from being surprised, which would be easy enough. An example of when he gets surprised is (and this has happened a couple times), walking along a fence that has a blind corner with a dog on the other side, sniffing or eliminating (being quiet and not moving around much). If I am in a heightened state of cautiousness because of SHTF I would avoid "surprise" situations to keep my dog from being a barking beacon of an easy target. My dog doesn't need to be a super combat dog or a ninja (because I am not), he just needs to be an extra set (of easily maintained) eye, ears and teeth.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top