Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SHTF? Do you Team up, or go it alone?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by clearconscience, Oct 6, 2012.

1. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I know that for most of us the main game plan would be escape the city. That's where the hand out people live and will be looking to screw over or kill whoever they can to get a scrap.
    But for the people who are able and willing to take to the woods, would you look to the society approach or go into a escape and evade mode?

I was talking to a friend who said he knew a gun shop owner in CA who used to let guns owners hide stock piles in his basement for the escape base. Not really a good idea in my mind, but he had an old man that would come into his shop to BS daily he told the shop owner he had a similar "bomb shelter" that had months of food and supplies but the old man didn't believe in guns. After WW2 he wouldn't own one.
    The shop owner looked at this like a friend, but told my friend he would kill that guy first and take his supply.
    D

2. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

It seems like in society in the city or not there's two kinds of people. Those who only care for themselves and those closest to them, and those who believe in the community approach.

Who are you?

3. Cuthbert Allgood

Cuthbert Allgood Clark County, WA Well-Known Member

i'll be rollin' solo. that way, i can pick up and leave without any debate or anything of the sort. plus, it'll be my own welfare and ethics i answer to and not somebody else.

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  4. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

Teaming up with neighbors here - not so much for resources, but joint security/eyes and help.

5. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

There's strength in numbers if you know your team. The key is getting a team together of like minded people with a common goal. The lone wolf is an easy target, too easy in my mind. I'm sure there'll be all kinds of examples of folks who go it alone and do just fine. But in my opinion I'd like someone watching my back.

6. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ditto!

7. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Teaming up sounds great, but remember people will be starving and desperate. When people have nothing, they have nothing to lose, and they lose it (G. Celente).

Don't be surprised if members of your 'team' decide it is worth shooting you in the back for your buckets of rice.

8. Bunny

Bunny Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I think it's kind of a crapshoot. Both have their pros and cons. Both have risks. And you can't control everything no matter how much you try. But I think initially, I'd feel more inclined to stay away from people I don't know, and maybe attempt to make contact with others if/when things calmed down. If people can, I think the best thing is to stick with the people they know they can trust, which are usually family and long time friends. I think the more people you can trust, the better. But I'd make sure to be prepared for the alternative.

9. mosinguy

mosinguy by the ocean Member

our neighbors are good and our area is easy to defend so i think we will stay here plus there is a ton of woodlands all around us

10. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

Team is a lot better, as long as it's people you trust. More resources, both material and skill-wise.

11. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Family and only very close friends which there is very few.
    I could not allow any non firearm folks in my group. The possibility of not engaging or fighting is not an option. There are no civilians in time of war or SHTF.
    Also note if you bug out and set up a permanent to semi permanent BC you have to be ready to either let them join or in some cases take out the meanderer. Unfortunately letting the wanderer or wanderers go may be a poor tactic they may inform others of your location or use your location as an escape or barter tactic.
    We'd like to think we're all better than that but people are not. We'll all revert back to animals in nature.

12. viehmann7680

viehmann7680 Centralia Active Member

I think depending on the situation and how long you expect anything to last would determine this. Also i think it's more of, how long you need to go it alone? You can't go your whole life alone or only a couple people. At some point you're going to need to team up or form a community. Like people have said, you need someone to watch your back. Gangs and other people WILL form groups to take from others... and no matter how rambo you think you are, a time will come. There is always someone bigger and badder than you. For me, I'd go it alone until I figure the majority of the hoards are dead or gone. Then try to find a good community or place to start one. I would like to think after a couple months, anyone who has started or maintained a good community is like minded and a good place to be. With keeping a plan B in mind if you join. Just make sure you do some recon before just walking up to any person, group, or community.

13. Cuthbert Allgood

Cuthbert Allgood Clark County, WA Well-Known Member

yeah, a community is great idea until you come across a seemingly good place like woodbury and meet the town's leader. what if that leader kills each survivor he and his cronies find? what if he keeps them around to torture them a bit before killing them? screw that! i don't want to take my chance with somebody like "the governor"/brian/philip blake!

in a SHTF scenario, it won't take long before somebody in the group, or all of them become scared out of their minds and lose it. it doesn't matter how mentally prepared one is. all it takes is one negative nancy to bring your entire group to ruin. what if that negative person is your s/o? even worse, what if the negative person is one of your own children? will you be willing to kill the person for the greater good of the group? i doubt it!

there will be many morally questionable things in a situation like that. in my case, cannibalism is definitely an option. i won't be looking forward to it, though. food will become scarce. you will have to resort to some ungodly things to stay alive. if you were to go back in time and tell the donner party they would resort to it. they would probably laugh or kill you on the spot for suggesting such a ghastly thing.

i'm confident in my marksmanship that i can take down more than a few people from 100+ yards away without the use of a scope. that might be enough to demoralize the weaker ones, send them scattering, running back to where they came from, or simply running elsewhere since their core leadership was wiped out before ever spotting the shooter.

14. Hook686

Hook686 Northern California Active Member

I'm thinking that if you 'Solo' it you better keep moving. If you stop and hole up you are a sitting duck. One cannot stay awake 24/7 and if you are busy doing any chore you sure cannot be vigilant. Sure one can get shot in the back from inside the wire, but I suspect the odds are more likey you will get shot from outside the wire if you do not have someone covering your back.

15. good2eat

good2eat Great NW Member

IMHO, part of one's preps should be to develop a group of like minded and similarly prepared people with whom to create a alliance for mutual security, protection, labor division, etc. Unless you have a very large family, there will not be enough bodies to do what needs to be done. Security alone could take up 100% of a small group's time.

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  16. MissJ

MissJ Clackamas County Active Member

Hope this doesn't come across as belittling.....it's not intended that way

But I think the idea of going it alone is a highly romanticized and unrealistic survival strategy.

I won't sit here and tell you it cannot be done....but how long can somebody keep that up?

How can you gather firewood and cook up your jack-rabbit dinner while your gun is at the ready? How can you sleep? How can you take a poop?

I think, in the end....with proper training, dedication, luck and skill the lone wolf Rambo guy can pull it off...for a while....until he can't...

My opinion is probably biased because I have a family; and so my obvious choice is to form a group since I won't be leaving my child and I won't be going "Rambo" carrying a 3 year old who is crying for animal crackers....

17. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Community in SHTF? Don't make me laugh...unless you live in a rural area and are prepping with your neighbors prior to the S hitting the fan, there is no "community approach". Just a bunch of desperate people expecting a hand-out from your hard earned provisions.

Also, there are way more than just two types of people...there will be your takers (Raiders, Rapers, Murders), your heros (Cops that stay on the job and try to still protect the community, pastors that give their own shirt off their backs for those in need) your "doomsday preppers" (the guys that have been wanting a collapse to happen for years and now suddenly get to play out their fantasies of shooting raiders and UN troops) your survivors (the guys that just want to pack out and find someplace to hide with friends and family or hold up somewhere) your group members (those that have been planning for a "just in case" scenario but go on with their normal lives in hopes that they never have to crack open their larder or case of ammunition) and then those that just plain give up and wait for the noose to wrap around their necks.

18. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I'm quite sure things will be different for city folks versus country. My family of origin still lives in country so remote and self sufficient that they haven't noticed the recession yet. They've been living by barter and hunting/trapping and gardening for so long that in a total meltdown they would likely view the change as positive and welcome the absence of government interference and taxes.

As for myself, I'm a city dweller now but a country boy at heart. I haven't forgot how to hunt, fish and trap and I haven't forgot how to live confortablyly in the wilderness with very little. These skills can be learned by anyone but it's only once you practice them that the confidence begins to build in your own ability to survive.

Country folk have already formed their groups. It's part of country living. Only one road enters the place where my family of origin lives and of course only one road back out. No where to escape to in a matter of speaking but also no surprises by unknown visitors.

I believe we will see a collapse coming with enough time to take measures. Already we see enough so that we are stock piling food and supplies. As things worsen, it will be best to relocate if possible to where the hoards are not.

19. irierider

irierider PDX Member

depends who you can trust...
    i dont have many up here i can trust, due to family being in Ca.. flying pretty solo with the family!

20. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

It also depends on the situation. if its economic collapse, you would be better off getting together with others. If its a H1N1 outbreak, you would be better off as far away from other people as you can.