JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

5.56㎜ versus .30 Carbine

• .30 Carbine; kick it old school.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • 5.56㎜ NATO for me.

Votes: 85 78.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Being prepared isn't important and guns are scary.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Eh ... (burp) wut? Lost ma train of thought.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Old school is really cool.... but along with the numerous reasons listed above the 5.56 can punch through level III armor. That alone gives it a solid edge.

I'd be comfortable taking my M1 through SHTF, even my 1873.... but in reality the most practical firearm is an AR in good old 5.56

Depends. If alone on the move or on foot, an AR based 5.56 platform. If stationary or vehicle bound, 30 cal. Natural disasters aside, I can't see a long term scenario widespread in the last 100 years that would cause a region of the US to need such a decision but that hasn't stopped me from covering the basics.

That said, coming from California I recall in the early 80s being taught of the Owens Valley water wars. Ranchers/Farmers fought state/city government. Real fighting. I tried to look up some figures but Goggle didn't cover it. In the 80s, only 50-70 years prior, we were told it was a righteous war. Not just in the courts. There was also fighting in the Banana wars of the early 1900s. Better to have a carbine or two than not.

I went through this same process when choosing my first long gun. I found that parts, accessories and ammunition all favored the AR. The capabilities and versatility of the chambering I found later to also favor the AR. I would only choose the carbine over the AR if it was more accessible to me at the moment. I honestly have no qualms with a carbine, and would only rather a 30 carbine to an AR as a personal preference.

At the end of the day, I'd pick whichever is closer in the moment.

How 'bout 9×19 vs 30 carbine? There's pretty much zero 30 carbine ammo on the planet compared to 9mm.
80962309_1_x.jpg

Still waiting for one of these to fall in my lap. Especially when I have a couple dozen m9 mags with no purpose in life.

So, a trip to the home range,* and seeing some footage from the Watts Riots got me to thinking about this:

What do you consider the better SHTF cartridge. The definition we'll use for said is: a self-loading carbine used by private citizens or local law enforcement in a disaster situation.

Option One: The venerable .30 Carbine. Developed around the time of the biggest conflict in human history. The most numerically produced rifle in American history, the M1 Carbine, has soldiered on in the hands of military personnel, law enforcement, and private citizens for decades. And has been used by both friend and foe on every continent. The little thirty-caliber is no longer the hip new thing, to put it mildly, but can still hold it's own.

Carbines in said are generally light, handy, and feature decent capacity (15 and 30 round magazines being standard.). Time was they were a dime a dozen, but they now go for premiums.

Option Two: Just as venerable, the Cold War classic made famous by the Armalite line. It has served as the primary American military rifle cartridge longer than any other. Used by the standing armies of the free world (and plenty others), countless law enforcement, and tens of millions of armed citizens, it would be impossible to argue with the popularity of the 5.56㎜ NATO.

As with the first, carbines are generally light, handy, and readily available to most. Ammo on tap is 20 or 30 rounds, but larger options do exist. ARs are, according to most reports, the most popular selling firearm in the US and can be had in a dizzying array of configurations and price points.

So, what say you, the .30 or the .223 for when things go bad in a hurry? Thanks for sharing!

* These lil' carbines tagged along.
View attachment 1021106
5.56 because of the availability of the round. I like both guns equally but if the shtf you are going to need a round in great abundance. I have never seen the numbers of .30 caliber carbine in stores over 5.56. It's strictly a numbers game.

Like others have said, to be practical I'd have to go with the AR. BUT, emotionally I still like the M1. So I closed the gap a bit with these two guns and I'm pleased with both. The M1 is basically a 1942 Inland, with aftermarket barrel, rail, stock, and optic. If needed, I can mount a light or bi-pod. It's also about two lbs. lighter than the LMT AR.

Generational Twins.jpg AR M1.jpg

I have to go with the AR of the two choices you gave. Reasons are simple Ammo is available even in times like this with all the panic buying, yes it may be expensive but attainable.

As some have said almost everybody has an AR so in a SHTF you may come across extra mags and ammo where the 30 cal is more of a specialty collector item anymore and most new gun folks have never seen one much less held one.

Accessories like lights, red dots and coffee cup holders are all available for the AR but not the M1 and after a good SHTF battle a good cup of coffee may just be the thing needed to calm the nerves.

I like the 30 carbine and feel it is a good gun to have in the collection but not as the main choice more like maybe your 5th choice.

I would take a 9mm PCC like a Ruger rifle or a Scorpion rifle over the 30 Carbine for the same reasons as I stated about the AR.

Got plenty to make up .223. As to .30 Carbine, just found this in an old Castrol oil box that looked out of place. Some were $5, but had to pay $7 for most of them. So, whichever falls more readily to hand.

IMG_3075 copy.png

IMG_3076 copy.png

I agree that the 5.56 is generally superior for all the reasons others have stated. I'll make three in favor of the M1 Carbine .30: 1) If you shoot it more in normal times, you'll be more proficient in a SHTF situation...and they are FUN to shoot! 2) The M1 Carbine is a little easier to get new shooters oriented to, so it could fill that role nicely. 3) In any "in between" phase before all law and order breaks down, I think an M1 Carbine would be easier to move around with, because it doesn't look "evil", but this a very minor point. (I have a couple AR's and got my first M1 Carbine a year ago...and it IS very handy and really fun to shoot.)

Both are light fast and handy, with the slight edge to the M1, but that depends on the AR! For most needs, ether would work just fine, though the AR does have a slight edge, still, both would serve well! There have been horror stories of the old .30 Carbine not being able to penetrate thick layers of clothing but I have not ever seen that happen, still today's bullets should fix any issues there! For the 5.56 one needs to decide what ammo to run based on twist and length, not all ARs will shoot every thing accurately or produce the desired results! There is a ton of good info out there to help get you on the right track and shooting with good results!
Given that I have both options, I wouldn't have any issue with ether in a pinch, I know their limitations, and what I can expect from them, so its all good!

Got plenty to make up .223. As to .30 Carbine, just found this in an old Castrol oil box that looked out of place. Some were $5, but had to pay $7 for most of them. So, whichever falls more readily to hand.

View attachment 1021830

View attachment 1021831
Ahhhhhh
1995 . That was a good year. Used mossbergs were still $150 a pop all day. Taco bell could fill up several drunk stoners for $20 or less. Shannon Tweed was still making NC17 movies.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top