JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like the book, "Daybreak 2250 AD" by Andre Norton. I read this when I was a teenager. It was first published in 1951 and deals with a post nuclear war scenario.

The title kind of says it. Are there any good SHTF books you'd like to see turned into a film?

I'll get us started:

• Lucifer's Hammer (1977): As far as I know, it never has been made into a film. It is one of the better ones in the genre. It could either be set in the original time (mid-1970s) or the present day and it would still work.
  • Alas, Babylon (1959): Technically, this already exists in the form of a made-for-television, Playhouse 90 episode. I've never seen it, nor can find it on physical media or on the web. I think this one should be set in the original time and place (central Florida, late 1950s) to really work.
  • One Second After (2009) and sequels: There were plans to make a film out of this, but as of yet, it has not come to fruition. It is a good story in general, but it also might educate the public about the threat posed by an EMP strike.
  • First Angel (1988): It is never going to happen due to it being a no-name author, but it is easily one of the best preparedness fictional works I've read.
Honorable mentions:
  • Warday (1984): Interesting read, but I don't know how well it would translate to the big screen.
  • Damnation Alley (1969): There already is a movie based upon said, but it is loosely so, and, frankly, it sucked.
What are some you'd like to see? :)
"The Day After Never" by Russell Blake. Great series of books. The hero is a little bit 2 dimensional, but that could be fleshed out. It's also set in the PNW with Portland, Corvallis, Salem, Astoria, and the Columbia river area used as locations.

I'm rereading Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. What I love about visiting old books, is they, obviously, don't change but the reader does. (I've read Stoker's Dracula many times since tween age to the present, and I always learn something new.) Anyway, a couple thoughts:

• This needs to be made into a movie.
  • The book was written in 1966 and set in 2075. As a graying computer programmer, circa 2019, my view might be somewhat different than others. How do I put this: authors from that era thought computers would become more human. I know the reverse is true; humanity has become more like the machines. ;)

I'm rereading Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. What I love about visiting old books, is they, obviously, don't change but the reader does. (I've read Stoker's Dracula many times since tween age to the present, and I always learn something new.) Anyway, a couple thoughts:

• This needs to be made into a movie.
  • The book was written in 1966 and set in 2075. As a graying computer programmer, circa 2019, my view might be somewhat different than others. How do I put this: authors from that era thought computers would become more human. I know the reverse is true; humanity has become more like the machines. ;)

I would like see a remake of Heinlein's, "Starship Troopers" book the right way. The movie doesn't shows the power suit at all and shows the troops as "bug fodder".

If it were up to me there would be way more post apocalypse/survival movies and TV series's. Sans Zombies
Jericho was a tease. NUTS!

+1 for One second after

Angry American's Home series and Charlie's requiem spin-off would be epic as a TV series..

The Tom Abraham's Traveler Series would be cool... western:s0155:

Josh Gayou's Commune series could be a good movie

The day after never series for sure, but also probably be better as a TV series
Unless lots of sequels

What I would love to see is World War Z made as a series on Netflix. Each chapter could be an episode or 2 and would tell it as it should have been, not that pale attempt by Brad Pitt. Beyond the title IMHO, the movie had little to do with the book.

I'm on the very last chapter of one second after now, and my goodness, if there ever was a book that needed to be a movie, this is it. One of the best I've read. Older thread, I know, however the state of the world really adds that extra something to this book. Thanks to all who suggested it!

One that might work on the big screen, or as a short series online, is Resurrection Day (1999), by Brendan DuBois. It is in the alternative history genre, as well as disaster. Basically the Cuban Missile Crisis didn't end well. I'll leave it at that lest the book be ruined for others.

We have an entire bookshelf dedicated to preparedness books. All but the bottom most shelf are nonfiction (guides, how tos, scientific, et al.). But the bottom shelf has a small assortment of SHTF novels, including some referenced in this thread. I, evidently, picked this one up, but haven't read it yet:

BreakWind.jpg

Doom Wind, eh? Fast paced disaster film or comedy (insert Mel Brooks' grade flatulence joke here.)? :p

When I saw the idea here I thought it sounded silly. The problem is so many good to excellent books were made into movies that SUCKED! Like the "GOR" series. OK, the first book sort of sucked, but the second book was great and after that the series took off like a rocket! The movie has nothing to do with the book and is comic stupid/funny/horrible and I am embarrassed to admit I watch it every five or six years (when I forget how bad it really is) to laugh at the silly stupidity and cringe at the horrible formula stupidity.

Another great series/too horrible for words movie is The Destroyer series. Chien is the North Korean assassin, last of a 3,000 year line of assassins who trains an American ("pale piece of pig's ear!") to be the next master of Sinanju. Funny as all get out, great action, a little preachy and sometimes falls down at the end, I love them. The original writers were great, the dozen or so writers after them range from fantastic to "ummmm... Okkkkk", but still, all the books are fun reads. The movie nearly killed the series. The movie has NOTHING to do with the book(s) other than the title, is so PC I nearly threw up and the acting and dialog would embarrass Ed Woods.

Unintended Consequences is one of my favorite books. The first half is a pretty straight-up telling of actual/factual history and the second half is "the present" which is fiction. Notable that the gov't tried to stop the sale of the book (for exposing what they were/are up to?). Great read and if followed closely and not PCed/idioted up would make a killer movie classic!

One Second After. Took me about four tries to get past the first five pages, did not improve much after that. The "hero" is an incompetent idiot who can barely sit and chew gum at the same time and he's the best they can find?! The list of stupidities, dumb shift, reckless, ignorant, dangerously/criminally dumb arse sheet they do STILL gives me a migraine thinking about it. MIGHT be a good movie if all that was corrected, someone who had a clue wrote the scren play, had a clue directed, decent actors, etc. Yeah, like that would happen. Expect another "Leonard part 6", "Ishtar", or "Water World".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top