JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Remaining series, by DJ Molles. Post-apocalyptic zombie stuff. Good reads, written by a former cop, so the gun and military details are spot on.

The Remaining series, by DJ Molles. Post-apocalyptic zombie stuff. Good reads, written by a former cop, so the gun and military details are spot on.

If we are including zombie fiction I'd include JL Bourne's Day by Day series.

I also just read the first of the Five Roads to Texas series that's pretty great as well.

Day of Wrath by Fortschen

Scariest book that I've read in a very long time.
Not end of the world per se, but definitely EOTWAWKI

I'll second "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" which was an excellent work, real good read. Haven't read the other works of his. Doesn't the author, Mathew Bracken, post here occasionally? You can get them from his website, and he use to sign them for you. Enemies Foreign and Domestic

Anyway, one of the granddaddys of SHTF books turned into movies was Nevil Shutes 1959 book "On The Beach" which ends badly for mankind. The book is a classic, but strangely I never really cared all that much for the movie which starred some great actors including Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner.

I'll second "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" which was an excellent work, real good read. Haven't read the other works of his. Doesn't the author, Mathew Bracken, post here occasionally? You can get them from his website, and he use to sign them for you. Enemies Foreign and Domestic

Anyway, one of the granddaddys of SHTF books turned into movies was Nevil Shutes 1959 book "On The Beach" which ends badly for mankind. The book is a classic, but strangely I never really cared all that much for the movie which starred some great actors including Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner.
I don't recall Matt posting here, but he did over at gunsnet.net before it became insignificant. All three of his books are good especially listening to them via Audible.com

The first survival book I ever read, How to Survive in the Woods by Bradford Angier seems to have been brought back to life in the show Dual Survival. I really love to hate this show. I while I have tremendous general respect for the two guys on it, Cody comes across to me as a liability with his bare feet. Though out of all the other outdoor survival shows, this one keeps reminding me of Bradford Angier's book.

I'll second One Second After, would be fantastic.

My top choice!!! (ETA: along with the sequels)

The first survival book I ever read, How to Survive in the Woods by Bradford Angier seems to have been brought back to life in the show Dual Survival. I really love to hate this show. I while I have tremendous general respect for the two guys on it, Cody comes across to me as a liability with his bare feet. Though out of all the other outdoor survival shows, this one keeps reminding me of Bradford Angier's book.

Read the book when I was 17, I'm 67 now and it's still the best. Love the book, hate the show! :p;) Then why do I keep watching it? :rolleyes: Cuz it's better than that Brit ex-commando and all his celebrity airheads? (Instead of Dances with Wolves, he goes by Drinks His Own Pee!)

Last Edited:
Unintended Consequences is another Must Read book for everyone. The first 3/4 of the book is a fictional adaptation of the history of Gun Control in the 20th century, very well done. The last 1/4 is a shoot'em up fantasy, not as good as I would've hoped.

I am also a big fan of Unintended Consequences. I am not sure how much of the first 3/4 is fantasy though. Just for kicks, I was doing some goggle searches of some of the topics mentioned and actually found that they were true events. Ad and Plinky Topperwein were impressive marksmen and a number of the other events actually took place.

Ron

Anything from James Wesley Rawles. All of his books on surviving a SHTF scenario are first class. While fiction, he goes into a great amount of real detail on all manner of SHTF survivability (including weapons). Rawles is a devout Christian, so sometimes he leans a little too heavily on bible stuff, but otherwise his work is very readable and very informative. If one cuts down on the religious stuff, they might make some great movies.

The title kind of says it. Are there any good SHTF books you'd like to see turned into a film?

I'll get us started:

• Lucifer's Hammer (1977): As far as I know, it never has been made into a film. It is one of the better ones in the genre. It could either be set in the original time (mid-1970s) or the present day and it would still work.
  • Alas, Babylon (1959): Technically, this already exists in the form of a made-for-television, Playhouse 90 episode. I've never seen it, nor can find it on physical media or on the web. I think this one should be set in the original time and place (central Florida, late 1950s) to really work.
  • One Second After (2009) and sequels: There were plans to make a film out of this, but as of yet, it has not come to fruition. It is a good story in general, but it also might educate the public about the threat posed by an EMP strike.
  • First Angel (1988): It is never going to happen due to it being a no-name author, but it is easily one of the best preparedness fictional works I've read.
Honorable mentions:
  • Warday (1984): Interesting read, but I don't know how well it would translate to the big screen.
  • Damnation Alley (1969): There already is a movie based upon said, but it is loosely so, and, frankly, it sucked.
What are some you'd like to see? :)
Lucifer's Hammer could easily be adapted to nowadays and tops my list because of the keepin' it real factor. Earth's been hit before by celestial objects and it could happen again.

Here's one -- it's sort of Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court idea, but it is incredibly well put together. It is Sci-Fi but really well done -- the writer is both a real scientist and a veteran:

Olan Thorensen is a pen name for a writer of science fiction/alternative history/post-apocalyptic novels - at least I hope to get to all these. ... Many years ago I served in US Special Forces (Vietnam: SOG unit), then went to college for a BA in Zoology and Phd in Genetics. I'm author/co-author of about 200 papers on genetics, molecular biology, and bioinformatics, and am a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

https://www.olanthorensen.com/bio

It isn't exactly SHTF, but it does follow a person suddenly thrust into the position of living in a world (not ours) in which he doesn't know the language or culture and where the technology level approximates Earth's of about 1700s.

First book in the series (4 books plus one of short stories): https://www.amazon.com/Cast-Under-Alien-Destinys-Crucible-ebook/dp/B01I8DTAKQ

Unfamiliar with his books, but Dr. Arthur Bradley's EMP testing you tube videos are the best I've ever seen, hands down. Looks like I need to check this stuff out. Thank you.

Anything from James Wesley Rawles. All of his books on surviving a SHTF scenario are first class. While fiction, he goes into a great amount of real detail on all manner of SHTF survivability (including weapons). Rawles is a devout Christian, so sometimes he leans a little too heavily on bible stuff, but otherwise his work is very readable and very informative. If one cuts down on the religious stuff, they might make some great movies.
I like Rawles' work too, if you can get past the absolutely cringeworthy dialogue between the characters, and yes, the Bible-thumping.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top