JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The title kind of says it. Are there any good SHTF books you'd like to see turned into a film?

I'll get us started:

• Lucifer's Hammer (1977): As far as I know, it never has been made into a film. It is one of the better ones in the genre. It could either be set in the original time (mid-1970s) or the present day and it would still work.
  • Alas, Babylon (1959): Technically, this already exists in the form of a made-for-television, Playhouse 90 episode. I've never seen it, nor can find it on physical media or on the web. I think this one should be set in the original time and place (central Florida, late 1950s) to really work.
  • One Second After (2009) and sequels: There were plans to make a film out of this, but as of yet, it has not come to fruition. It is a good story in general, but it also might educate the public about the threat posed by an EMP strike.
  • First Angel (1988): It is never going to happen due to it being a no-name author, but it is easily one of the best preparedness fictional works I've read.
Honorable mentions:
  • Warday (1984): Interesting read, but I don't know how well it would translate to the big screen.
  • Damnation Alley (1969): There already is a movie based upon said, but it is loosely so, and, frankly, it sucked.
What are some you'd like to see? :)

The Dog Stars
https://amzn.to/30BPMu3

Summary:
Hig somehow survived the flu pandemic that killed everyone he knows. Now his wife is gone, his friends are dead, and he lives in the hangar of a small abandoned airport with his dog, Jasper, and a mercurial, gun-toting misanthrope named Bangley.

But when a random transmission beams through the radio of his 1956 Cessna, the voice ignites a hope deep inside him that a better life exists outside their tightly controlled perimeter. Risking everything, he flies past his point of no return and follows its static-broken trail, only to find something that is both better and worse than anything he could ever hope for.

A few I forgot in the original post:

• Earth Abides (1949): It is a haunting text that, done properly, might work in film.
  • Eumeswil (1977): Though more of a philosophical book focusing on abstract themes, Jünger's work is set in a post-apocalyptic world.
  • Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse (2008): Totally silly and action-packed, this one would translate very well to a fun, goofy movie.

Lucifer's hammer should be required reading.
Go Go Girls had some interesting concepts but not enough for a movie.

Has anyone read the 'Dies the Fire' series by SM Stirling? Something, never explained, shuts down technology on Earth. Gunpowder burns slow, Electrons don't flow through metal, presure vessels won't hold more than 125 psi.

Its set in the PNW with Portland, Corvallis and the Columbia river area used as locations.

... Has anyone read the 'Dies the Fire' series by SM Stirling? Something, never explained, shuts down technology on Earth. Gunpowder burns slow, Electrons don't flow through metal, presure vessels won't hold more than 125 psi. ...

I like the first several of those books but at some point, the author just started milking it for all it was worth. The same repetitive formulations to describe fights and short stories bulked up to novel size with filler. I eventually just quit. I see he's up to 14 books now with a 15th in the works: The Emberverse series - Wikipedia

Author name? Not an easy search.

Ed Mann.

CamRJCg.jpg

Cheers. :)

Would love to see Karate Man on the big screen mowing down a huge group of biker gangbangers with a happy mode AK.

"Lights Out"
"Enemies Foreign and Domestic" series
"Unintended Consequences"

Unintended Consequences is another Must Read book for everyone. The first 3/4 of the book is a fictional adaptation of the history of Gun Control in the 20th century, very well done. The last 1/4 is a shoot'em up fantasy, not as good as I would've hoped.

I'm another vote for Unintended Consequences.
"Patriots" might be good as well. It was a fairly groundbreaking theme at the time that opened a lot of peoples eyes to prepping.
While it wasn't the most realistic portrayal of prepping, it provided a window into it for lots of folks who may have never been exposed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top