JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Shft Barter List

I was reading Meet your preparedness minded neighbor here and thought we should take it one step further. As some of us live in rural areas and will have livestock and the ability to garden on a large scale, we will be able to barter for necessary items that others will have procured. In the event of an economic disaster and the possibility of our money being worthless it would be a good idea to have a hard copy list of people in you immediate area to barter with. Might take some time to figure out the best way to organize such a list, but in would come in very handy. Here is an idea of what you'd be looking for:

1. Area
2. Contact information (hard address or off the grid way of communications)
3. Items or services to barter

Perhaps even a secure market area for locals to meet.

This is a hard thing to do and still keep infosec and opsec. As many criminal groups have discovered over the years, a single informant can cause a lot of trouble in your organization.

It is hard enough to keep infosec and opsec information within a family, not to mention a group of families, friends, etc...

Perhaps a cell network type of organization would be in order, but every type of plan has it's strong points and weak ones.

I'll have to give this idea some thought.

M67

I like the idea of knowing some people close by I can contact, barter, and get to know. But like mentioned it only takes 1 to ruin it for a whole group and an open forum that can be accessed by all could cause problems for a honey man trying to provide a meal for his family.

Maybe set it up as a monthly meeting or group activity for the different areas so we know one another and within thy group decide a common meeting area and set day for shtf trading. Essentially setting up our own market with reused individuals.

while I believe a good mental list is a great idea, I would never publicise a list of what I have for thieves as covered above very well.

But, getting to know people and business where bartering can be done is a great idea, but I personally would do it covertly, in another words stop by businesses and spark up conversations and get to know the people, shtf fan them recognizing your voice or face might save your life and it would definitely make it easier to spark up a deal.

If a person see's someone broke down, stuck or moving cows across the road, if you see its safe stop a lend a hand, a year from now when it is you in that situation they will remember it. I have done this many times and was surprised how just what I needed when I needed magically appeared or someone stopped and helped a family member with a flat tire. As stated before be safe doing it, but many a friendships have grown from a little kindness or helping hand.

dealing with local small business owners may cost you more now. But when things are bad, they will be more understanding and approachable.

Take note of who has what, where it is and your best gestimate of how much of it they have, then remember they are going to be thinking of number first and foremost.

And keep what you have a closely guarded secret, because there will always people out there who will think that because they need it you should give it to them no matter what.

the way i see it if all hell brakes loose traveling a mile could kill you and get you robed or shot for your tuna by some unprepared dude looking to feed his kids. Trading with close by neighbours fine, but that 5 miles drive through ambush points will get you dead over batteries or a chicken. Better stock what you need and trade real close to your bug out or in location.

And no way myself or most preppers want on any list for any reason. One loose lip could kill your ship. If there is a food shortage don't think for a second if the government knew you had extra they wouldn't take it to hand out. And with all the government lists i wouldnt dought it if there are prepper lists out there and FBI- ATF trolls on the net.

I didn't mean a public list, and it should be between friends and neighbors. Networking and friends is the key to long term survival. Especially in town. Where I live, we have everything we need. We will just need to protect it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top