JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
'Shroom-Tripping Man Grabs Cop's Gun, Fires Shot | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns
Shroom-Tripping Man Grabs Cop’s Gun, Fires Shot

Posted on July 30, 2013 by Dan Zimmerman

YouTube Preview Image
We’ve all heard tales of superhuman strength exhibited by those those soaring on PCP, but psilocybin? Huh. At least Jared Steven Leone knew he needed some help, right? Which is why he strolled into the Beaverton, Oregon police records office at city hall last week and made his presence (and condition) known. “Three officers came out to the lobby and that’s when police said Leone took a swing at one of the officers and a “melee” ensued. Detective Sergeant Jim Shumway reviewed surveillance video of the fight. He said it took the officers six minutes to restrain Leone and take him into custody.” But not before . . .

the ‘shroom-fueled yoot broke a pair of handcuffs (!), grabbed an officer’s gun and fired off a shot.

The officers used Tasers on Leone seven times during the fight, but they had no effect. Shumway said Leone appeared to be unable to feel pain. He was speaking gibberish and acting like he was on drugs.

“Somebody could have been killed from this. This could have been a real tragedy,” Shumway said.

So, retention holster, right?

Bruce McCain, a former Multnomah County Sheriff’s captain, told KATU News that a big concern is about the officer’s holster.

“The whole idea is if you’re in a scuffle, you cannot pull this gun out – even if you popped the top, this does not come out,” he said, demonstrating on his old holster with an unloaded Glock.

He says holsters are typically designed with three security mechanisms to keep anyone from grabbing the gun.

The Beaverton sergeant’s holster may have had only two safety features because his gun may have had a flashlight on it.

Or maybe it had none. Losing control of your firearm has to be on the list of a cop’s biggest fears. Officers we talk to say some jurisdictions require retention holsters and some leave it up to the individual. A call to Beaverton PD was unproductive

Geez these sort of stories make me very uneasy about leaving the house... take a walk on the portland waterfront you'd swear half the people there fit this guys description, stumbling around mumbling to themselves. I avoid large cities whenever possible. When I got my CCW in hillsboro sum guy toasted out of his mind was walking around the courthouse whistling to the cops in the lobby, they didn't do anything about him they just let him annoying the crap out of everyone. When I came out after completing my paperwork paramedics were trying to defibrilate him on a park bench, it seemed he had expired though. I guess weirdness can strike at any moment probably more orften at courthouse's.

I bet this is BS, more likely they were not snapped all the way in the locked position.

^This

Or they were already compromised and on the verge of breaking.

Psilocybin makes the user highly suggestible. Meaning his crazy over-reaction was most likely a placebo effect brought on by his expectations of the drugs effects. Either that, or he lied about which drug he took.

Shrooms do not give you super strength or make you impervious to pain.

No matter though. This kid is in jail, and that's where he belongs. Hopefully he thinks twice next time before acting like a R-tard.

I bet this is BS, more likely they were not snapped all the way in the locked position.

My 2 cents on cuffs...first of all, there is a huge difference in HINGED and CHAINED cuffs. I'm a big fan of hinged cuffs due to their strength and limited mobility- the only downfall is that they don't fit on bigger guys.

Also I'd like to point out that I've seen a great decline in the quality of restraints, lately. I would only trust a few cuff manufacturers with my life due to the amount of restrainst I've seen fall apart. Even during training I had to have a set cut off my own wrist (via bolt cutters) due to them failing (they went "off track" and one side seized up- failing to tighten or loosen).

Peerless cuffs (one of the most used in corrections and law enforcement) had a sharp decline in quality the last few years. It's sad when cuffs that were made in the 80s and 90s are in better shape than the one's made in the 00-10 era...nevertheless, HIATTS are the best made cuffs (hands down) with S&W in a close second.

Probably good call.

Anyone notice that this was in the Town Hall...dude just showed up, said he was overdosing and then attacks officers- takes one of their guns and even FIRES it. Makes you wonder what his motive was to begin with (especially since he had the presence of mind to look for help).

But anyhoot...sounds like these officers needed a reality check (firearms retention, combative subjects, equipment maintenance).

Lastly Note:

Chances are, if the officer had a POS holster- he probably had POS cuffs...just saying.

Anyone notice that this was in the Town Hall...dude just showed up, said he was overdosing and then attacks officers- takes one of their guns and even FIRES it. Makes you wonder what his motive was to begin with (especially since he had the presence of mind to look for help).

But anyhoot...sounds like these officers needed a reality check (firearms retention, combative subjects, equipment maintenance).

Lastly Note:

Chances are, if the officer had a POS holster- he probably had POS cuffs...just saying.

Are you suggesting that any of our patriotic LEOs are less than the very best most wonderfullest peerless defenders of justice, truth and the American Way? FOR SHAME sir!.....:p

Are you suggesting that any of our patriotic LEOs are less than the very best most wonderfullest peerless defenders of justice, truth and the American Way? FOR SHAME sir!.....:p

I'm saying that sometimes we all need a reality check. Everyone gets complacent from time to time...what sucks is that if you get complacent at your job you might get fired or it might cost you money...but if a cop, firefighter, EMS, doctor or airplane pilot gets complacent, people die.

This is what the safety industry would call a "near miss" (no pun intended). Sad thing is, is that is basically was a near miss. If that was me and my gun and someone got shot I wouldn't be able to live with myself...that means training and preparation. That means having the proper mindset and being ready for anything...hopefully this officer got a wake up call....before the next time isn't a miss.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top