JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rascal's advice is very much worth heeding.

I have a gun ready to rock within reach in EVERY room!

No kids.

No company.

But you that think home invasion couldn't happen to you...enjoy living in denial.
Personally I home carry everywhere in the house, mailbox. I have several guns around the House, mainly rooms I frequent. But The wife has all the other rooms amply supplied. Loaded, chambered if it has a safety, safety off.

Rascal's advice is very much worth heeding.

I have a gun ready to rock within reach in EVERY room!

No kids.

No company.

But you that think home invasion couldn't happen to you...enjoy living in denial.

I've met really old guys who did this, but the likelihood of getting broken into when you're not home and those "staged" guns stolen is significantly higher than the event where you use one of them to fend off a home invader. Having one on your hip at home seems far more prudent, but that's just my preference.

The idea is being able to respond. I went through a home invasion when I was both at home and armed. Some of Detroit's finest youth gathered together to force their entry into the family home. I came out of my bedroom with a S&W Model 58 and those boys didn't want to stay and talk. I think years of basketball had kept them fit and made them very speedy. I was 20 years old when we had that encounter. They didn't even say goodby as they left. They were as nervous and adrenaline filled as baboons tossed into a leopard's cage at lunchtime. Notorious enemies, leopards and baboons.

Had I been unarmed that contact with Detroit's criminally inclined youth could have ended differently. Having to get out of a shower to deal with them from a position of total disadvantage is almost too horrible to contemplate.

During the Vietnam War I learned a lot, and a career abroad helped sharpen tactical skills. If you are going to engage it is best to do it on your terms. When the opposing team unexpectedly initiates on their terms you are way behind the 8 ball. You are going to have to come from behind just to break even. The greater your disadvantage the harder it is to recover. A little foresight can minimize the disadvantage and ease the recovery.

That's why preppers prep and some of us choose to carry a concealed weapon.

When you start thinking "That won't happen to me" or "That can't happen here" you begin to stack the odds against yourself. Figuring the odds is legitimate. The military refers to it as risk versus gain. The downside is that if you should come up short, you could come up very short.

Old men stashing guns? Well, better that then sparring 3 rounds with the neighborhood thugs or trying to demonstrate your grappling skills. Besides, criminals can come in groups so the next step up from an equalizer is handy to have.

Yes, I have a mindset about being ready. Life has taught me that and I'm not ignoring lessons learned. An early lesson was that home invasion in Detroit. If I hadn't been armed and ready I might not be here to type this post.

Maybe it was all the "Death Wish" movies or "Dirty Harry" doing his thing on the big screen, but The Brothers caught on to the N frame Smith and left on their own and without an argument. It worked for me and I tend to keep a handgun close.

There might be a way to get the same effect as a gun in the shower, without actually doing that. Who wants to oil that gun once a day? Do your cartridges work oiled, or are the primers killed, etc?

For example, I have a split bathroom, with sinks and counter in the first part, and shower plus toilet in the second part. If the door into the first part can even put up just 20 seconds of resistance to being kicked in, that is good enough. Then I can leave the gun in the first part and not have any worries about rust and corrosion (yes, a fan in the 2nd part is mandatory).

One can think of all sorts of devices that can slow down home invaders enough for time to get ready. I think of things like gates to the upstairs, even some sort of booby trap. Sadly, there is probably no woman on the planet that will put up with a lot of that. One thing I've got into to stop or at least slow down a door kick are these simple door jammer devices (she hasn't complained much about them):
10 Best Door Jammers & Bars: Reviews & Buyer's Guide

Upstairs I have the exclusive use of split bathroom, the shower toilet part I have a Taurus 605, a 357 snubby revolver in a Tupperware container, on a towel shelf, it has been sitting there on guard since 2008, when we moved in. I also have my XDS 45 in there on the floor by the shower door, I cover it when showering. so two trustworthy, protected guns in that part.
The other portion has two sinks and and a large tub, I have a S&W J frame there, a 351PD, seven shot 22 Magnum
The wife has the other upstairs bathroom she rarely has a gun in there, but sometimes she does.
We have two bathrooms downstairs, she does what she wants (I did see a AR-9 'Pistol' in hers yesterday) I have a Walther PPX 40 with a spare fourteen round magazine handy.
I always go in the bathrooms with my home carry 380 anyways so there is that.

I wouldn't go so far as to use the term paranoid, but the amount of stashed firearms referenced in this thread leads me to at least consider it.

Freedom is a wonderful thing though, so do what you makes sense to you in your homes.

There might be a way to get the same effect as a gun in the shower, without actually doing that. Who wants to oil that gun once a day? Do your cartridges work oiled, or are the primers killed, etc?

For example, I have a split bathroom, with sinks and counter in the first part, and shower plus toilet in the second part. If the door into the first part can even put up just 20 seconds of resistance to being kicked in, that is good enough. Then I can leave the gun in the first part and not have any worries about rust and corrosion (yes, a fan in the 2nd part is mandatory).

One can think of all sorts of devices that can slow down home invaders enough for time to get ready. I think of things like gates to the upstairs, even some sort of booby trap. Sadly, there is probably no woman on the planet that will put up with a lot of that. One thing I've got into to stop or at least slow down a door kick are these simple door jammer devices (she hasn't complained much about them):
10 Best Door Jammers & Bars: Reviews & Buyer's Guide

I hope this doesn't derail the thread (maybe I'll start it on the Preparedness and Survival level), but as someone with this mindset (give me 10 seconds and I'm ready to rock and roll), the anti-breach devices also may act to hinder escape in the event of an emergency like a fire. Using them calmly with good lighting is simple enough (though they're all a bit awkward in my experience), but when your adrenaline is screaming and the lights are out, can you bypass them in time?

As someone who has a couple "pretty" guns I enjoy looking at for aesthetic reasons as much as the fun factor of using them, I have concerns about a break-in and secure storage while still being wall-hangers. Anybody have a good way around that? All the "wall mount locks" and such don't particularly inspire confidence. I assume someone trying to break into a house would come equipped with at the very least a pry-bar of some variety and unlike myself, a burglar isn't going to care if it tears a hole in the wall removing it.

If they are bolt guns, take the bolts out and store those in the safe. Hang the guns on the wall any way you please, no need for a lock mount.

This would work for many semi-autos as well, removing the bolt would make it a club.

I got into that debate with a pawn shop one time who said their rule was any gun that left the premises had to have a lock on it, even if it was in a box.It seemed that was just some BS to try and sell me a lock. I said "BS but I can pull the bolt and it accomplishes the exact same thing if the true concern is about safety."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top