JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Certainly my "ugliest" firearm by today's standards, but this one is by far one of my most prized smokepoles...
Ottoman Empire matchlock musket, ca. late-16th Century, about a .55 caliber bore, 61" OAL, in complete working order, although I've never had the balls to load and fire it. The "recoil pad" is a cat's skull with (some of) the fur still attached... o_O
My dad bought this almost 50 years ago from a little old man in a run-down shop in Abha, Saudi Arabia. My dad's co-worker (a Palestinian) acted as interpreter and got the story from the little old Saudi gentleman, who was quite adamant in his assertions of the musket's origin. We have no idea if this history is correct, but he was pretty convinced that what he was telling my dad was the truth.

View attachment 410577

If someone on this board is familiar with muskets from the supposed era and locale, perhaps this image of the gold inlay on the top of the barrel in front of the pan might be a clue to its origins. Anybody here care to try to positively identify this smokepole so that I might correct its history if it's in error? I would be most appreciative, as would my father.

View attachment 410576
Very cool Matchlock!

As to its age that is difficult to say without seeing the gun...
That said ...Matchlocks , flintlocks and percussion guns have been made for use , re-worked and reused for 100's of years in that neck of the woods....
You can see pictures of matchlocks and flintlocks in use during WW II , in the hands of native North Africans...

Some of these guns were also made strictly for the tourist / souvenir trade.
Many of these "tourist trade" guns are made from a mix of antique parts and it can make identifying or establishing a date difficult at best.

Please note that I am not trying to discredit your Dad or the story behind the gun...
Just saying that many guns of this type appear older than what really are ... and that without seeing the gun in person...it is difficult to day for sure... ( it can be just as difficult in person as well )
Andy

Last Edited:
Certainly my "ugliest" firearm by today's standards, but this one is by far one of my most prized smokepoles...
Ottoman Empire matchlock musket, ca. late-16th Century, about a .55 caliber bore, 61" OAL, in complete working order, although I've never had the balls to load and fire it. The "recoil pad" is a cat's skull with (some of) the fur still attached... o_O
My dad bought this almost 50 years ago from a little old man in a run-down shop in Abha, Saudi Arabia. My dad's co-worker (a Palestinian) acted as interpreter and got the story from the little old Saudi gentleman, who was quite adamant in his assertions of the musket's origin. We have no idea if this history is correct, but he was pretty convinced that what he was telling my dad was the truth.

View attachment 410577

If someone on this board is familiar with muskets from the supposed era and locale, perhaps this image of the gold inlay on the top of the barrel in front of the pan might be a clue to its origins. Anybody here care to try to positively identify this smokepole so that I might correct its history if it's in error? I would be most appreciative, as would my father.

View attachment 410576

I think that thing is cool as heck!
Some of my guns are old. But none require a tetanus shot and a shot of whisky to shoot safely. :s0079: :D

Very cool Matchlock!

As to its age that is difficult to say without seeing the gun...
That said ...Matchlocks , flintlocks and percussion guns have been made for use , re-worked and reused for 100's of years in that neck of the woods....
You can see pictures of matchlocks and flintlocks in use during WW II , in the hands of native North Africans...

Some of these guns were also made strictly for the tourist / souvenir trade.
Many of these "tourist trade" guns are made from a mix of antique parts and it can make identifying or establishing a date difficult at best.

Please note that I am not trying to discredit your Dad or the story behind the gun...
Just saying that many guns of this type appear older than what really are ... and that without seeing the gun in person...it is difficult to day for sure... ( it can be just as difficult in person as well )
Andy

I know all that Andy. I watch "Pawn Stars"!
:s0114:

Does "fugly" count? 1901 H&R.

H&R 1.JPG H&R 2.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR