JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I am interested in buying a "sniper rifle". I want to buy something in .308

My friend suggested a Rem 700 and a Leupold Mk IV and that should be just fine.

I was wondering what kind of sniper rifle/ hunting rifle you guys have.

Please include pics.

Thanks!

This is what I used to have but I traded it for a AK47.

Charles Daly 7mm REM MAG w/ Nikon ProStaff Scope on it.

DSCN1737.jpg

1.jpg

Last Edited:
I have remington 700 varmint special with a 24" barrel. It has an HS Precision police stock with the full length aluminum bedding block and a harris short bipod mounted on it. It has a 10X fixed 30mm tube Super Sniper Scope mounted in a set of arms swan lever medium height qd rings. The rings are mounted to the rifle via a steel full length picatini rail on top of the receiver. I've zeroed the rifle using Hornady Tap 168gr- 1 moa. Hopefully I can shrink the groups with some more work. I have done a homemade camo job on it for now, but have plans to have another member do a professional job on it after seeing what he did to his sbr m4. It's been a fun project and aside from a new paint job, it's done.
It's the middle rifle.

I have a tikka t3 varmint with a Leupold Mk2. Not exactly sniper but I can get three shot 0.5 MOA groups at 100yd.

<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

I wished I had bouh, though, a Savage 10FCP. Rem 700 SPS would be a good choice, too. I prefer Savage because it's got a 1/10 twist which I prefer over the 1/12 of the Rem 700 SPS.

My thinking is if you ever decide to cut the bbl short, to say 20" or 18" and suppress it, you'd be better of with a faster twist rate.

dsc0381ao.th.jpg dsc0194wk.th.jpg

If you're after pics for different ideas, I've got pleanty. If you're after pics of a particular set up let me know... I've got more. I don't call them "sniper" rifles myself since I'm not, nor have I ever been a sniper. Here's what I call my long range practical rifles....

PB130126.jpg

016-3.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

005-11.jpg

014-6.jpg

020-2.jpg

027.jpg

007.jpg

A couple of these rifles I no longer have...

I like it, it fit's me well. It's not perfect... the grip is located too close to the trigger, making finger placement less than ideal (I put a fully adjustable CG Jackson trigger on allowing me to push the trigger forward far enough that it's not much of an issue). The AICS is also heavy, not ideal for a cary rifle. I find the stock a pleasure to shoot with when standing off hand... the lower section of the stock near the magazine system makes for a nice shelf to place your left hand. What you will hear more than anything is how great the magazine system is. While it is a 100&#37; reliable system, I wouldn't go raving about how wonderful it is. When I'm letting a newer shooter use the rifle they often find it difficult to work the bolt to feed the cartridge (I work the bolt fairly fast and don't have this issue). It's not as user friendly as Tikka's DBM system which is low effort and also 100% reliable. I don't care for plastic mags of the Tikka, but in actual use it's hard to beat.

You'll find some that hate the AICS, so I guess it's not for everyone. If you get up this way, you can try it for yourself. I was just shooting it yesterday with the owner of Benchmark barrels. We were making all our hits all the way out to 1075yds. I can't get enough!

sounds fun!

When I first saw those, I thought they looked too mechanical, too angular. Now that I understand a little more about stock design, I really like them. I have wondered what the cheek weld is like, I read a review where the shooter described it as "trying to get a good weld on a brick".
I'll definitely take you up on the offer for a test drive...

We've about got our "new" range set up here... 200 to 1000yds, steel targets, pretty little walk in...
WCT is probably not in the cards for me this year... too bad, I'm a lot better prepared!

Howa 1500 .308 with a Bushnell 10x. The real valuable item in the picture is the little data/log book. It represents all the learning. The rifle is just a tool

Savage mark II .22 with a big Wally-World scope on top. These things are worth their weight in gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
do what you want, but if you're serious about shooting like a "sniper"... that is to say: capable of making accurate first-round hits under a variety of conditions... you can do a lot with almost any centerfire rifle. Your range may be longer or shorter, your ability to hunt game may be limited...
but learning the fundamentals can be done with a Mosin-Nagant, an AR-15, or a .338-378 Weatherby.
In my mind the skills include:
-develop a consistent load
-keep precise, accurate data
-learn to estimate range in a variety of ways
-learn to make precise, accurate adjustments to your optics/sights... based on conditions

Holding the rifle still and squeezing the trigger isn't too hard. Even I have shot sub-MOA groups at 1k. It's all the skills listed above that's critical.

I would not have listened to my own advice, but it's skills, not stuff that makes the shooter. The stuff helps, though, and looks cool, too.

I have a Savage 12fvss in .308 that I really like. It has a tasco 4-16 on it that has held up surprisingly well. It will shoot sub moa out to 600yds (the longest I have shot with it). Like other posters have said, any rifle should work, its the fundamentals that will get you where you want to be, and practice.

sorry for the crappy cell pic, its all I could find.

wg

sounds fun!

When I first saw those, I thought they looked too mechanical, too angular. Now that I understand a little more about stock design, I really like them. I have wondered what the cheek weld is like, I read a review where the shooter described it as "trying to get a good weld on a brick".
I'll definitely take you up on the offer for a test drive...

We've about got our "new" range set up here... 200 to 1000yds, steel targets, pretty little walk in...
WCT is probably not in the cards for me this year... too bad, I'm a lot better prepared!

I find the cheek peice much better than a brick... I honestly don't notice much about it either way... it's adjustable up, down, left and right. Asthetically I don't care for the AICS... the CZ 750 is much less mechanical looking.

Sounds like you guys have an awesome range! I'll miss you at WCT, but there's always next year. There making a few changes... I'll let you know... I hope they don't change it too much it was the best Match I've participated in. It would be great to get together sometime.

Only got one 'tactical' rifle, me. It's an old Krico .308Win 650SS made for the GSG9 unit, and obtained about ten years ago. It differs from the civilian version by having the G3 flash hider and a slightly longer barrel. The stock fittings are also different, with three sling locations instead of two, and it was Devcon-bedded from new in Stuttgart. In spite of it being a workhorse item, the stock is just an amazingly tiger-striped dark walnut item.

I have a Night-Force 8-32x56 NSX illuminated scope with the newer 'hollow' mil-dot reticle on top of specially long EAW-Apel mounts taken off Arndt Kriegeskorte's own rifle.

It shoots very well - all bullet weights from 147 to 175gr - when I do my bit. Clover-leafs at 100m to sight in, and then commensurate accuracy out as far as I usually go - 900m. Sure it's not an F-class whizzbang, but

a. I can afford the bullets.

b. I can afford the powder.

We have grown older together, and if you can only have one of each calibre [a new 'rule' the police have invented in my county - too late for me as I have two of each centre-fire calibre I shoot] this one would have to be it.

My crowning achievement was the 500m 'egg-shot'. One shot - one busted egg. To tell the truth, I didn't know that was the target - I just shot at the centre and to my amazement there was an egg in the way....I pretended it was all part of the plan.

I'd like a replica of the Mawhinney/Hathcock rifle, but that just ain't going to happen.

tac

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top