JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
CDA53951-3CD7-4A2B-9300-788D0AAB52F8.jpeg Just picked this one up. Cz550 338 lapua. Waiting in dies to get some loads to start testing.

There are some damn nice rifles here guys. I like them!! I was at the range the other day and out comes a 338 Lapua on the bench next to me. It was a beauty for sure, just not a great shooter. Loud as heck too!!!! I think sometimes the younger generation gets to thinking they have a "long range" rig, if it has MAGNUM in the name. Well, if you are shooting 5" groups at 100, I don't consider that a good longrange rig by any stretch of the imagination. A guy would be better served with a 556/223 for starters and then advancing to the creed (any flavor of creed, take you pick), then 308, 30-06 and 300wm.... I used to favor magnums for elk hunting and lang range shooting, but have recently started using my 6.5 creed for all range shooting. I look forward to using one of my creeds this year for deer and elk hunting...... Not my "long range" rig, but it does pretty good so far:

Tikka T3x superlite @5.9 pounds (bare rifle):
9DVshhA.jpg
TInieXz.jpg

That Tikka is treading on the heels of my heavy barreled Savage 12fv now. The savage is a great shooter and set up with the SWFA SS 16X, it's a great long range match. Here's some recent targets shot with that rifle:
J5P4Bo1.jpg

When I get back out and shoot some "long range", maybe I'll post some target pics of how that rifle does. As of now, it shoots 3" 10 shot groups at 440 yards.. Good enough for me..

Here's a pic with one of my 6.5's and my AR10T in the background..
RpgJIlg.jpg
APu2NoY.jpg

There are some damn nice rifles here guys. I like them!! I was at the range the other day and out comes a 338 Lapua on the bench next to me. It was a beauty for sure, just not a great shooter. Loud as heck too!!!! I think sometimes the younger generation gets to thinking they have a "long range" rig, if it has MAGNUM in the name. Well, if you are shooting 5" groups at 100, I don't consider that a good longrange rig by any stretch of the imagination. A guy would be better served with a 556/223 for starters and then advancing to the creed (any flavor of creed, take you pick), then 308, 30-06 and 300wm.... I used to favor magnums for elk hunting and lang range shooting, but have recently started using my 6.5 creed for all range shooting. I look forward to using one of my creeds this year for deer and elk hunting...... Not my "long range" rig, but it does pretty good so far:

:s0101: Magnum or not you still need to know how to shoot.

I agree that more trigger time is the key factor but for me a heavier bullet bucks the wind alot easier and flatter shooting. I can more consistently hit on target 800+ yards shooting the .338 lapua magnum vs my 308 with 24" barrel will have much more of a bullet drop and harder time against wind.

I agree that more trigger time is the key factor but for me a heavier bullet bucks the wind alot easier and flatter shooting. I can more consistently hit on target 800+ yards shooting the .338 lapua magnum vs my 308 with 24" barrel will have much more of a bullet drop and harder time against wind.
Is there somewhere close to the northend that you can reach those distances. I always drive to ellensburg

Very true, but doing it with a 308 makes you learn all kinds of things to hit the target consistently.

North Cascades Sportsman's Club has a range during the spring/fall/winter to 1000 yard! Where are you shooting in Ellensburg? I'm looking for a spot that can shoot past 1000 yards but nothing yet haha.

Yup! I agree the 308 will give you the fundamentals that can be applied to larger calibers once more experience is gained.

I grew up in ellensburg and have steel set out to 1200 in the manastash area. But its a drive to get to.
Lake Chelan is also a long drive haha! I picked up a tripod end of last season so I'm itching to stretch the distance further this year. Side note if it's a public spot you don't mind others shooting at I might have to make my way down this year!

20180405_220954.jpg

North Cascades Sportsman's Club has a range during the spring/fall/winter to 1000 yard! Where are you shooting in Ellensburg? I'm looking for a spot that can shoot past 1000 yards but nothing yet haha.

Yup! I agree the 308 will give you the fundamentals that can be applied to larger calibers once more experience is gained.

Trigger time is trigger time. I love the 338wm cartridge. It's my go to cartridge for elk. My semi custom shoots just fine, near and far:
lAQNcQj.jpg
LLATmUF.jpg

Trigger time is crucial:
Vr0DVy8.jpg

The 338 laupua magnum is a beast, even compared to my 338wm shown above, and if you can handle it, it's an excellent long range cartridge. If you can't handle it, you may as well be shooting a 6.5 creedmoor or 308....

My newest .223 might turn out to be my favorite after I do some load development. First trip out I found moderate success with Norma Match 77gr. SMK factory ammo. Biggest problem in the accuracy department came from the HEAVY X-Mark trigger. When money shows up again I will upgrade the trigger or actually learn marksmanship skills. Really enjoying the HS Precision stock @triple t

20190413_152443.jpg

Any of you guys going to the long range seminar in Bend next weekend? I guess it will be held at the Nosler range. I'm probably going to go, there's only going to be 34 shooters. Spots may be filled up by now??

Any of you guys going to the long range seminar in Bend next weekend? I guess it will be held at the Nosler range. I'm probably going to go, there's only going to be 34 shooters. Spots may be filled up by now??

I shot fairly regularly when I lived in that region but it's been going on 20 years ago now. I'd love to go back for a weekend shoot if I could ever find the time.

Dang wind was ferocious today. I damn near called it a day before even pulling the trigger. Sometimes here in the Gorge, it is almost useless to sling lead with some of the winds we have. One thing I wanted to do today was test my AR15 and the 73gr eld match loads I've been working on. The rifle shoots great at the 100 yard line. Sub moa 10 shot groups. So next step is to try at further distance. Right? Well, not in todays wind storm :eek: . Today it was more like 2 moa groups at 450 yards. I rang some steel though. That was easy and fun:
JhGzhK7.jpg

Before I left, I had to try my 6.5 creedmoor in the howling wind. The chitty part about that was I grabbed a box that only had 5 rounds loaded. The rest was empty brass, from last weekend's outing I should have checked my box of ammo better. Oh well, fired off those 5 rounds after dialing up 2.2 mils on the new SWFA SS 16x. Needed to check the tracking on that new scope anyways. Looks pretty good, considering how windy it was:
cIoMcz5.jpg
CV01UDQ.jpg
Generally I would have been embarrassed by this kind of shooting, but
I'll take it in this wind!!!!!!!
MFz2lh2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR