JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most recent in my collection, a Christmas gift from my wife.

20211229_172406.jpg

Hey all You edge wizards out there. Need help with these. The big one is is a Gen 2 Model 16 made in the USA COLD STEEL Carbon V Trail Master. With box. Factory edge. Cordura sheath. Box is in rough shape. The other is a model 13 recon tanto Carbon V. Great box. Leather Sheath. Need help marketing for sale. Don't want to get my clock cleaned. All the USA made Carbon V's seem to difficult to non-existent to find. I've located some past sold "used" versions. eBay, worth-point etc.

600D5E87-E414-42AA-8A47-2DD426E8946C.jpeg 531A357C-AB37-4A95-B59B-76E56F807343.jpeg 6CEFDEEA-F253-45B7-91F7-939BEDBFAB50.jpeg 8A89246E-32FD-4675-88C7-CD46DDA39294.jpeg A6317DAC-8DED-4F77-AFCA-751E3784347C.jpeg 826B6662-C6B1-4556-85E2-2B747566DDD2.jpeg 539F640B-1136-4C5C-85D0-057230C6E63E.jpeg 485A58DA-309C-457F-9CE3-2DB19324B76A.jpeg FF79FF6B-FF42-4501-BD3E-48D8B6FC24C2.jpeg D7DEC7EB-49ED-484F-8D1E-CDAC63458571.jpeg 6DB1F36E-A9F0-4391-BA77-C90F0E381B30.jpeg 569C5FB1-7AF4-4048-A6CC-796ED54657CF.jpeg

Now for one of my "cool factor" Toad-stabbers. While not a North American continent campsite blade. I'm sure it was carried around many a Bedouin camps. My dad picked it up while we were "Ex-patting" in Saudi. He actually purchased from an antique dealer in Sana'a Yemen On one of his many trips in the region back in 78-79. The classic Yemen Jambiya

3BA2B42C-F984-4AB0-90A1-201608FBF020.jpeg CD7AA1DF-99EC-43D8-8792-DE5D0A9BD91F.jpeg FE22C97E-7933-406B-8956-1465B8C578B8.jpeg

I recognize me some steel detailin' drawings from me younger years as a detailer and draftsman...
Whatcha building there? Drawing looks like a plan view of a pipe support run.
Spot on, friend!! And the fact that you said "detailing"...well, that just warms my heart haha When I tell people what i do they all think that i wash cars. That particular plan is for Intel. It is indeed a utility support rack. One of about 50,000 needed, at least it feels like 50,000. I hate working on this type if stuff, but a paycheck is a paycheck.
Eventually a meaty project will fall back into my lap once again.....time.

How long ago were you in the industry, what sorts of projects, might I ask?

Cheer Sobo!

Spot on, friend!! And the fact that you said "detailing"...well, that just warms my heart haha When I tell people what i do they all think that i wash cars.
:s0140::s0140::s0140::s0140:
How long ago were you in the industry, what sorts of projects, might I ask?
A couple of years out of high school in 1978, after dropping out of college after about 2 months of my freshman year, and after a couple of dead-end jobs (industrial parts delivery and a factory job where I almost got myself killed), and then bummin' around the US of A on my motorcycle for a year or so, I took a job as a structural design draftsman at Fluor Engineers & Constructors in Houston, where I happened to land when my motorcycle ran out of gas one day in the summer of 1980. Worked for them for about 18 months until the bottom fell out of the petrochemical industry there (oldtimers here will remember the Oil Glut that began in the early 80s), and I got laid off.

Found another job in town as an estimator at a structural steel fab shop. They soon learned that I could also draft (thanks to my time at Fluor E&C), and so when I wasn't busy estimating jobs for skyscrapers going up in downtown Houston, I filled out my timesheet detailing the steel that we would cut/punch/cope/drill/break/weld/prime in the shop. I got bored with that after a few months, and so I asked TPTB if I could be a part of the shop floor, since that looked to me to be where all the action was. So I got moved to Assistant Shop Foreman, and helped oversee the goings-on down on the floor. I made up the orders for purchasing raw steel of all shapes, made up the cutting lists, what was going to be fabricated every week, scheduling shipments of our finished products, and then troubleshooting the steel if/when it didn't fit right out on jobsites. Spent lots of time at serious height in downtown Houston hanging in a harness off a monkey tail coming up with on-the-spot solutions, before the days when OSHA really clamped down on crap like that.

Ultimately, I was looking for more. Did I mention that I was the Assistant Shop Foreman? In my second year there, I didn't get much of a raise given the responsibility with which I was entrusted. My inquiry as to why that was so netted me the answer that Bill, the Shop Foreman, had a college degree and I did not. I instantly realized that this gig was also going to dead-end me, since Bill was only about 5-10 years older than me, and he wasn't going to be moving on for at least another 20 years or more. So I decided I would go back to university. This was now the mid-80s, and Uncle Sam was handing out free college degrees in engineering for the mere trade of 6 years of one's immediate future. So, with the F-15 Eagle being the hottest plane in the sky and a personal favorite of mine (of the jet age), I decided I would sign up with the USAF and be a fighter jock and get a free engineering degree along with it! What, I ask you, could be more fun than getting paid to fly the baddestass plane in the sky, and get a free engineering degree to boot? Sky's the limit!

Welp, after all the test batteries, physicals and other crap were done, they asked what I wanted to do for my country while serving in the Air Force. I proudly told them that I was gonna be an Eagle Driver! That's when the dark news came crashing down on me... I wasn't going to sit in any pilot's seat, and it certainly wasn't going to be in any fighter aircraft. I wasn't even going to sit in a co-pilot's seat in any two-seater, either. I was told in no uncertain terms that the closest I would get to the stick would be the navigator's chair on a cargo plane. It seems that after just 3 years of drafting on mylar sheets with plastic leads and ink on vellum, under bright fluorescent lights, with all of those thin, parallel lines, had fried my once perfect eyesight. Those starbursts that I saw on the headlights of cars coming at me at night were not because my eyes "were just tired." No, I had damaged my eyes irreparably, and I would never fly for my country...

Long story short (if that's possible at this point in this story), with the interceding help of my older sister (of Blessed Memory), I patched up relations with the Grand Sobo and I re-enrolled in VA Tech in a civil engineering curriculum in the fall of 1983. And the rest, as they say, is history...

Last Edited:
:s0140::s0140::s0140::s0140:

A couple of years out of high school in 1978, after dropping out of college after about 2 months of my freshman year, and after a couple of dead-end jobs (industrial parts delivery and a factory job where I almost got myself killed), and then bummin' around the US of A on my motorcycle for a year or so, I took a job as a structural design draftsman at Fluor Engineers & Constructors in Houston, where I happened to land when my motorcycle ran out of gas one day in the summer of 1980. Worked for them for about 18 months until the bottom fell out of the petrochemical industry there (oldtimers here will remember the Oil Glut that began in the early 80s), and I got laid off.

Found another job in town as an estimator at a structural steel fab shop. They soon learned that I could also draft (thanks to my time at Fluor E&C), and so when I wasn't busy estimating jobs for skyscrapers going up in downtown Houston, I filled out my timesheet detailing the steel that we would cut/punch/cope/drill/break/weld/prime in the shop. I got bored with that after a few months, and so I asked TPTB if I could be a part of the shop floor, since that looked to me to be where all the action was. So I got moved to Assistant Shop Foreman, and helped oversee the goings-on down on the floor. I made up the orders for purchasing raw steel of all shapes, made up the cutting lists, what was going to be fabricated every week, scheduling shipments of our finished products, and then troubleshooting the steel if/when it didn't fit right out on jobsites. Spent lots of time at serious height in downtown Houston hanging in a harness off a monkey tail coming up with on-the-spot solutions, before the days when OSHA really clamped down on crap like that.

Ultimately, I was looking for more. Did I mention that I was the Assistant Shop Foreman? In my second year there, I didn't get much of a raise given the responsibility with which I was entrusted. My inquiry as to why that was so netted me the answer that Bill, the Shop Foreman, had a college degree and I did not. I instantly realized that this gig was also going to dead-end me, since Bill was only about 5-10 years older than me, and he wasn't going to be moving on for at least another 20 years or more. So I decided I would go back to university. This was now the mid-80s, and Uncle Sam was handing out free college degrees in engineering for the mere trade of 6 years of one's immediate future. So, with the F-15 Eagle being the hottest plane in the sky and a personal favorite of mine (of the jet age), I decided I would sign up with the USAF and be a fighter jock and get a free engineering degree along with it! What, I ask you, could be more fun than getting paid to fly the baddestass plane in the sky, and get a free engineering degree to boot? Sky's the limit!

Welp, after all the test batteries, physicals and other crap were done, they asked what I wanted to do for my country while serving in the Air Force. I proudly told them that I was gonna be an Eagle Driver! That's when the dark news came crashing down on me... I wasn't going to sit in any pilot's seat, and it certainly wasn't going to be in any fighter aircraft. I wasn't even going to sit in a co-pilot's seat in any two-seater, either. I was told in no uncertain terms that the closest I would get to the stick would be the navigator's chair on a cargo plane. It seems that after just 3 years of drafting on mylar sheets with plastic leads and ink on vellum, under bright fluorescent lights, with all of those thin, parallel lines, had fried my once perfect eyesight. Those starbursts that I saw on the headlights of cars coming at me at night were not because my eyes "were just tired." No, I had damaged my eyes irreparably, and I would never fly for my country...

Long story short (if that's possible at this point in this story), with the interceding help of my older sister (of Blessed Memory), I patched up relations with the Grand Sobo and I re-enrolled in VA Tech in a civil engineering curriculum in the fall of 1983. And the rest, as they say, is history...
Haha that most certainly was well said!! I felt like I just had your life flash before my eyes! In 78 I was scraping my knees on the sidewalk whilst slipping off of the back of my Big Wheel.

It is no joke, this drafting noise will turn One blind. My astigmatism gets more and more astigmatismy every year.

The phantom is my all time fav. Growing up in Troutdale, I'd watch them fly out of the guard base all summer long on many lazy summer days. They were eventually retired and then the 15s took over. Just as neat to see ripping over my house 2 or 3 at a time.

It is no joke, this drafting noise will turn One blind. My astigmatism gets more and more astigmatismy every year.
I think mine has gotten exponentially worse over the last 2 years of this while plandemic and the WFH gig.
I've never spent so much time in front of a computer before in my life. Really gettin' to hate it.
The phantom is my all time fav. Growing up in Troutdale, I'd watch them fly out of the guard base all summer long on many lazy summer days. They were eventually retired and then the 15s took over. Just as neat to see ripping over my house 2 or 3 at a time.
While growing up in Italy, I got to see the USAF Thunderbirds perform a few times out of Aviano AFB in the Phantom II in the early 70s. Damn, those things are LOUD... :eek:

Saw them again in the early 80s while living in Houston, when they were flying T-38s.

Saw them again in the late 80s, after college graduation, flying F-16s performing in Ogden, Utah, while visiting an old Italy buddy whose dad was the ground crew chief for a squadron of F-16s at Hill AFB.

Interesting side note: That same buddy's dad made my life when he let me sit in the driver seat of an Eagle when they were stationed at Langley AFB. This was during my rideabout in 1980, before I ended up in Houston later that summer. So, although I never got to be an Eagle Driver, I did get to sit in the pilot seat of one, at least. I remember my friend David's dad, Tony, telling me, "That thing with the black and yellow bumblebee tape on it? Don't touch that." Seems when the planes were in the hangars, they didn't bother disarming the ejection seats... o_O

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top