JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yo CharlesAFerg,

I have been told that Oregon has no knife laws, and that no knifes were banned here. Spring and centrifugal force opened knives are openly sold here. Would you mind providing me with the ORS that you found.

Thanks,
Frog.

Yo CharlesAFerg,

I have been told that Oregon has no knife laws, and that no knifes were banned here. Spring and centrifugal force opened knives are openly sold here. Would you mind providing me with the ORS that you found.

Thanks,
Frog.

Everyone says this to me, and I looked it up a few years ago and was shocked. You can sell and purchase them, but not carry switchblades. Yet, there is no length limit, so you can carry around a sword if you want. It just can't open by centrifugal force or spring. What sparked my interest into the legality was that a few years ago I had an officer inspect my knife, he wailed on it to open it with "centrifugal force," and proceeded to lecture me.

Here's the up to date legal garbage...

166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section applies to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005, whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. Justice courts have concurrent jurisdiction to try any person charged with violating any of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section. [Amended by 1977 c.454 §1; 1985 c.543 §2; 1989 c.839 §21; 1999 c.1040

Thanks for the FYI, CharlesAFerg, this I never knew!!

I guess my carry knife will have to go on the display board with the rest of them OR in a pouch on my belt?

Frog.

I never got rid of my knife. For being an uptight officer, he didn't seem to care. He just asked if I could tighten it. It would only wear the mechanism faster, and go loose again.

Funny how Benchmade is made in Oregon, too.

Have you guys ever heard of the SOG pentagon? The latest version has the best sheath, don't purchase the other ones.

SOG-Pentagon-1.jpg

Here's the up to date legal garbage...

166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section applies to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005, whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. Justice courts have concurrent jurisdiction to try any person charged with violating any of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section. [Amended by 1977 c.454 §1; 1985 c.543 §2; 1989 c.839 §21; 1999 c.1040

Looking at this statute shows that it only applies to concealed knives, if its visible on your belt or clipped to the outside of your pocket, you are completely legal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top