JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing special, a stock S & W Victory, 5" threaded barrel. I just picked up the Triple K packer holster. It's a blem, the S &W imprint is light so it was a good price.

20190717_162906.jpg

Battlefield pickup circa July 1876 near the Little Big Horn river... :)

E085CAAA-8DD6-4DB3-8CDE-328D1431D79B.jpeg

This is actually my latest addition to my military history collection. It is a parts gun but represents a Custer era Springfield 1873 trapdoor carbine. Once I handload some 45-70 cartridges, I will post some videos. :)

Battlefield pickup circa July 1876 near the Little Big Horn river... :)

View attachment 601719

This is actually my latest addition to my military history collection. It is a parts gun but represents a Custer era Springfield 1873 trapdoor carbine. Once I handload some 45-70 cartridges, I will post some videos. :)
Here's mine. Made in 1881. 20190719_154705.jpg
Just about the most fun to shoot of any rifle I have. Don't know exactly why. I think maybe the combination of history, beauty, ergonomics and having to actually DO something while shooting besides press the trigger. Whatever the reason, it's just fun!

I swear I saw you when you were haggling with the guy that had that rifle. I was kinda looking over your shoulder and listening in a bit. Didn't want to stand and stare too long and appear creepy. :D I've got a thing for those Remington rolling blocks. I have one that's a non shooter that some have suggested I should look into getting something done it.

Were you at that OAC show? Should have introduced yourself!

My jungle carbine came back freshly bead blasted and parkerized from @Velzey yesterday. The parkerizing is deep black and it came out great.

This morning I oiled it up with some 30 weight and I'll let it sit until next weekend. Then I'll clean it and reassemble it.
I stripped and refinished the wood already, so now I just have to be patient.

BTW, it sucks being patient. ;)

20190721_123403.jpg

Last Edited:
Were you at that OAC show? Should have introduced yourself!

I try to remember those shows every month. It's a bunch of entertainment for $3.00. I didn't feel like I should have butt in while you were working your magic on the previous owner of that rifle. If I'd seen you walking around afterward I might have asked you bout it. I didn't take much money because the last show I'd dropped a bunch on an 03 A3.

I try to remember those shows every month. It's a bunch of entertainment for $3.00. I didn't feel like I should have butt in while you were working your magic on the previous owner of that rifle. If I'd seen you walking around afterward I might have asked you bout it. I didn't take much money because the last show I'd dropped a bunch on an 03 A3.

I have two tables every month at the OAC show. At $15 for the two tables it's so cheap I want them even if I don't sell. Usually have a single shot rifle display or rifles for sale each month there, but will be out of town on the 28th, so I'll miss July. I'll have a Ballard rifle display at the big two day show in August, and a trade table across from it. Stop by if you make the two day show!

I shot the #1 Roller in .38 Special at our annual long range shoot this last week. It did well out to 300 yds., and OK at 400 yds., but the wind began to push the little 158 gr. bullet around at 400. I need to check the twist rate and see if it's fast enough to load a heavier bullet, and then try it out farther if it can use a heavier 180 gr. bullet.

I have two tables every month at the OAC show. At $15 for the two tables it's so cheap I want them even if I don't sell. Usually have a single shot rifle display or rifles for sale each month there, but will be out of town on the 28th, so I'll miss July. I'll have a Ballard rifle display at the big two day show in August, and a trade table across from it. Stop by if you make the two day show!

I shot the #1 Roller in .38 Special at our annual long range shoot this last week. It did well out to 300 yds., and OK at 400 yds., but the wind began to push the little 158 gr. bullet around at 400. I need to check the twist rate and see if it's fast enough to load a heavier bullet, and then try it out farther if it can use a heavier 180 gr. bullet.

I must have ogled your table then huh? It's funny, you guys got to the show to sell stuff. When you do you go around and buy more stuff to replace the stuff you sold! Makes sense! ;) I love the atmosphere up at the ANG base shows. the big show is so crowded. I'm learning, but I'm afraid to be taken at the big show. Some things I've seen and know some about, and I see prices that are out of line. Leaves me scared to buy things I don't know about. That's the nice thing about the show at the ANG Base, I've met adn talked with a few guys that will tell me what I should be paying for something there.

I always go to the big show. Some years ago, eight maybe? I went to get info on the old rifles I got from my dad and wanted to sell. Non shooters that he'd bought from bins after he got out of the service in '47, so no sentimental value to me. I met Denny Hanel he was very honest I feel and gave me good money to turn into usable guns. Now I'm enamored by the old shootable stuff.

GOG said:
My jungle carbine came back freshly bead blasted and parkerized from @Velzey yesterday. The parkerizing is deep black and it came out great.

This morning I oiled it up with some 30 weight and I'll let it sit until next weekend. Then I'll clean it and reassemble it.
I stripped and refinished the wood already, so now I just have to be patient.

BTW, it sucks being patient
I feel like I'm missing some huge and obvious point, but why 30 weight motor oil and why do you have to wait a week?
Sorry if that sounds stupid, but I've never heard of this practice before.

Dean

Last Edited:
Have all my bits in for a 14.5 M4-orgery clone. Waiting to get the upper pinned/welded and I can't decide which of three triggers to use or to rattle can it or not. Also, do I top it off with a ACOG clone or a $200 real Aim Point I found at a pawn shop?

14.5 CL barrel ( F mark) from Brownells on PSA upper
PSA M4 stripped lower with Government marking plus Safe, Fire, Auto
CMMG lower build kit
Magtech rear sight
Aims carbine quad rail
SopMod butt stock
Magpul ASAP ambi sling mount
Ambi safety
Trigger= PSA EPT with JP spring, PSA new 2 stage or PSA new drop in 3.5lb 20190722_200046.jpg

Last Edited:
I must have ogled your table then huh? It's funny, you guys got to the show to sell stuff. When you do you go around and buy more stuff to replace the stuff you sold! Makes sense! ;) I love the atmosphere up at the ANG base shows. the big show is so crowded. I'm learning, but I'm afraid to be taken at the big show. Some things I've seen and know some about, and I see prices that are out of line. Leaves me scared to buy things I don't know about. That's the nice thing about the show at the ANG Base, I've met adn talked with a few guys that will tell me what I should be paying for something there.

I always go to the big show. Some years ago, eight maybe? I went to get info on the old rifles I got from my dad and wanted to sell. Non shooters that he'd bought from bins after he got out of the service in '47, so no sentimental value to me. I met Denny Hanel he was very honest I feel and gave me good money to turn into usable guns. Now I'm enamored by the old shootable stuff.

Denny Haenel is a good friend, and extremely honest and fair. I've known him for decades and bought and sold with him.
The 2 day show brings in a lot of dealers from far away, and their prices are higher than the local guys. But they often come off their prices a lot to sell, so no reason not to make a low offer if something catches my eye. I bought a 1885 Winchester with a .22LR Pope barrel from one of them last year and got him down from $1350 to $800.
I love the two day show for all the great displays, and the new faces from other states. I haven't decided on my display this year, but it will be Marlin Ballard rifles. Just not sure which ones from my collection?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top