JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The K88xx is the number on the bottom of the grip frame and the cylinder between (recessed) chambers. The 28xxx has no letter prefix so it must be the assembly number. That's what someone told me once, but I'd forgotten which was which.

It is a cool gun and I should shoot it more. Heavy DA pull and tendonitis keep me from enjoying it as much as I used to. Might invest in a Wolff spring kit. Yeah, I know... I could just shoot SA, but what fun is that? ;)

LOTS!....but I get it. Its a DA revolver, so why not use it as such.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with needing a little help so you can enjoy the gun. Wolff spring kit sounds like a great plan.
I would advise saving all the old springs, if for no other reason, than to be able to say you have all the original parts.
Since "K88..." is the number at the bottom of the grip, that's the serial number.
Your gun was definitely made in 1950.

Hey Mike,

If you want to talk about this some more, maybe we should take it to PM.
I feel like we've completely hijacked this thread :s0121: ( ;) )
So to get this back on track, here's some crappy cell pics of my dad's .22 bolt action. Its a Mossberg 142-A from 1953...I don't think I've posted these here yet....

Mossberg142A_1.JPG
Mossberg142A_2.JPG
Mossberg142A_3.JPG
Mossberg142A_4.JPG

I learned to shoot with this gun. I swear you could drive a nail with it at 50 yards.

Dean

Good idea. :)

I had a friend who had a semi-auto Mossberg .22 that looked very similar to that one. I only had the opportunity to fire it once, but it was also quite accurate. Interesting scope on that one.

clear[1].png

Hey Mike,

If you want to talk about this some more, maybe we should take it to PM.
I feel like we've completely hijacked this thread :s0121: ( ;) )
So to get this back on track, here's some crappy cell pics of my dad's .22 bolt action. Its a Mossberg 142-A from 1953...I don't think I've posted these here yet....

View attachment 589493
View attachment 589494
View attachment 589495
View attachment 589496

I learned to shoot with this gun. I swear you could drive a nail with it at 50 yards.

Dean
Beautiful rifle, looks a lot like mine except for the scope.

Jack

A short rifle. Tempted to drill and tap for a rear aperture and a scout scope where the original leaf sight is, but its a conflict between wanting to do that and not harming value.

B9CE8F28-4CB6-49E6-9EB6-75689C43C4CE.jpeg

Yeah, I guess it can be hard to tell with those guns.
The year I gave for my gun is really only a guess, based on some info I found.
Certain aspects of that gun only existed for a certain time during its production, but all of the elements that comprise my gun appear to have only been available during one year, so, in my case, 1953.

Off topic, but I've used the MOJO click sights for years and they are an outstanding sight upgrade for short money. I have one on my M1916 Mauser short rifle and I used them on several Mosins as well.

A short rifle. Tempted to drill and tap for a rear aperture and a scout scope where the original leaf sight is, but its a conflict between wanting to do that and not harming value.

View attachment 589612

I wouldn't touch it. Get some beater from the Pawn Shop and drill that one.

Have you tried getting 3 shots off in 8 seconds (at a 75 yard target)? Is it doable? I just met a gentleman who lives nearby that restores these and he doesn't think it can be done. Says the action is way too rough.

I wouldn't touch it. Get some beater from the Pawn Shop and drill that one.

Have you tried getting 3 shots off in 8 seconds (at a 75 yard target)? Is it doable? I just met a gentleman who lives nearby that restores these and he doesn't think it can be done. Says the action is way too rough.
My arm says I can, my shoulder says I shouldn't. Some are rough because arsenal rebuilds, as well as being used.

Early-ish Ruger Red Label O/U 20 ga. Blued rather than stainless receiver and fixed chokes (IC & Mod).

This one has killed buttloads of quail & dove, numerous rabbits and even a few grouse, but probably more clay pigeons than critters.

Red Label.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top