JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Added a Stainless Marlin model 60 to my growing rim fire collection today
IMG_0258.jpg

DSC06619 (1).jpg DSC06621 (1).jpg DSC06622 (1).jpg DSC06628 (1).jpg DSC06632 (1).jpg
So here is my "New" rifle.
It is a circa 1850's .50 caliber plains rifle made in St. Louis.
The rifle has:
A back action percussion lock
Checkering
Fancy patch box
Engraved wear plate on the forearm and two gold bands near the breech.
Barrel length is 33 inches
Weight is around 9 1/2 pounds
Markings on the barrel are:
"St.Louis" near the breech on the left barrel flat.
"Seiferth" and the "Christian Fish Symbol" with a series of dots on the bottom barrel flat.
Work that I did to it was a light over all cleaning , glass bedding the stock , a bit of wood inlay and the making of a nipple and front sight.

I have shot this rifle and got some good groups off hand at 25 yards.
The load used was : 50 grains of 2F , a .10 patch and a .490 round ball.
I need to use a thicker patch ... so that will be a part of my next shooting adventure....:D
Andy

Last Edited:
View attachment 381948 View attachment 381949 View attachment 381950 View attachment 381953 View attachment 381955
So here is my "New" rifle.
It is a circa 1850's .50 caliber plains rifle made in St. Louis.
The rifle has:
A back action percussion lock
Checkering
Fancy patch box
Engraved wear plate on the forearm and two gold bands near the breech.
Barrel length is 33 inches
Weight is around 9 1/2 pounds
Markings on the barrel are:
"St.Louis" near the breech on the left barrel flat.
"Seiferth" and the "Christian Fish Symbol" with a series of dots on the bottom barrel flat.
Work that I did to it was a light over all cleaning , glass bedding the stock , a bit of wood inlay and the making of a nipple and front sight.

I have shot this rifle and got some good groups off hand at 25 yards.
The load used was : 50 grains of 2F , a .10 patch and a .490 round ball.
I need to use a thicker patch ... so that will be a part of my next shooting adventure....:D
Andy

Boy, that sure is one beautiful rifle!

Last Edited:
Just did some fun rattle can painting on an AR, used a foam shelf liner to create some pattern and misted accordingly until I was happy with the result. Let the hot and dry weather we have had inspire me to do it since I've wanted to cover up that shiny stainless steel barrel for a while.

image.jpg

Thanks Dean!... My pleasure.
A patch will help the ball engage the rifling also it helps by taking some of the fouling away as it ( the patch ) goes down the bore...
A tight patch also creates a tight gas seal which will aid in accuracy.
A too light patch can slip off the ball and do no real good ...
One way to tell if your patches are too thin is if they have holes or burn marks on them.

I used a thinner patch because I wanted to keep pressure down on this old rifle.
I think a .15 or .18 patch will do the trick.

Now all that said .... You can also use a patch that is way too thick ... No need for a hammer to drive your ball down the bore.... Or even to "hammer" your ball home.
Many folks today use too thick of a patch...You should be just fine if you can thumb start / seat your ball , then use your ramrod to load ... No need for a "range rod".
In fact I try to find a patch and ball combo that doesn't require a ball stater ... One less thing to fumble with , while loading.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews