JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This was my Walther PP in 9mmK. Issued to the Vienna 'security squad' in late 1939, I carried it as a back-up in Northern Ireland loaded with Winchester 90gr Silvertips. Mrs tac was a deadly shooter with this little pistol, and took mucho dinero off the base police in our Wednesday afternoon shoots.

It had to be deact'ed in 1998, and I kept it until I got a really stupid offer from a collector. Even the holster matched, with the unit stamp and all that.

View attachment 378323
View attachment 378324
View attachment 378325
View attachment 378326

tac
That's a sweet piece of history.
Sorry you let it go, but glad you were "compensated" for it.
Why did you have to deactivate it?

Dean

I added another Marlin lever Saturday
1968 39A
IMG_0237.jpg IMG_0238.jpg IMG_0239.jpg IMG_0240.jpg

After the 1997 handgun cartridge-firing handgun prohibition came into law here on mainland yUK, it was the only way to keep it. I still have a few of my revolvers that I can't bear to part with, too.

tac
Ah, that's right, you're in England.
I understand you can still own and shoot muzzle loading / black powder weapons, though...correct?
I remember seeing a video on an Armscor .38 revolver, but it changed over to a percussion revolver.
Seemed to get the impression it was aimed (no pun intended) at the UK market.

Dean

Last Edited:
Ah, that's right, you're in England.
I understand you can still own and shoot muzzle loading / black powder weapons, though...correct?
I remember seeing a video on an Armscor .38 revolver, but it changed over to a percussion revolver.
Seemed to get the impression it was aimed (no pun intended) at the UK market.

Dean

No, I live on mainland UK, part of which is England. The rest is Scotland and Wales. Northern Ireland, the other part of the UK, allows people to have any kind of handgun.

If you'd been watching any of my posts on this thread, you will have seen that I have seventeen rifles [only one of which is BP, excepting the two Sniders] and two handguns of the kind generally permitted on mainland UK.

We can have BP smooth-bore guns up to 2" calibre, and any cartridge-shooting rifle up to .800", so long as you have to load it yourself. Semi-auto centrefire rifles are prohibited in ALL of UK. There is no restriction on the size of a magazine, and we can shoot all day and night without restrictions, using any kind of image intensification or TI device. Moderators are not subjected to any kind of tax, and, in some locations, are actually compulsory.

There is no such thing a a 'game tag', either. With almost 300,000 too many deer munching their way around the countryside, they are a real problem for tree and crop growers alike. They have no natural predators, y'see, since the Romans killed off the last bears hereabout in the Second Century AD.

AFAIK, mainland UK is the only country on earth that has BP, loose-loading revolvers that still manage to look much like they did before they were converted by Alan Westlake - the revolver that you are showing.

There are a couple of them in our club, and they are a real PITA and most are a short-lived fad, even at around $1000 a pop.

And a small point, we don't call them 'weapons', 'firearms' is what it reads on my Firearms Certificate. We use them for leisure/pleasure/work, not killing people. That's what soldiers do with weapons.

tac

Thanks for clearing that up, tac.
So with such a plentiful deer population (I might be coerced into a trip to visit you, now), is there even a "hunting season" for them, or could I drop one any time, if I think they're ruining my crops?

Dean
P.S. The whole idea of pheasant hunting from a "stand" is intriguing, as well. That would be neat to try.

Species Sex England,N Ireland, Wales Scotland

Red Stags Aug 1st - April 30th July 1st - Oct 20th
Hinds Nov 1st - March 31st Oct 21st - Feb 15th
Fallow Bucks Aug 1st - April 30th Aug 1st - April 30th
Does Nov 1st - March 31st Oct 21st - Feb 15th
Sika Stags Aug 1st - April 30th July 1st - Oct 20th
Hinds Nov 1st - March 31st Oct 21st Feb 15th
Roe Bucks April 1st - Oct 31st April 1st - Oct 20th
Does Nov 1st - March 31st Oct 21st - Mar 31st
Red/Sika Hybrids Stags Aug 1st - April 30th (NI only) July 1st - Oct 20th
Hinds Nov 1st - March 31st( NI only) Oct 21st - Feb 15th
Chinese Water Deer Bucks Nov 1st - March 31st
Does Nov 1st - March 31st
Muntjac No Closed Season [that's the deer species that looks like a jackalope]

Anything there take your fancy? Bearing in mind that you would have to arrange your own shooting with a ghillie or similar - lots of Americans do just that every year but it is not cheap. But then, you are all soooooooooooooooo rich, right?

Do a search for 'deer stalking in UK vacations' - your own rifle is not necessary - estates in ALL parts of the UK have shoots and can provide a suitable rifle for you and save the PITA paperwork of getting your own over here.

This guy is one of hundreds - well-thought-of, as you can see

- UK Hunting Vacations with Professional Outfitter Mike McCrave

Figure on around $5000/week and you'll be fine.

Most farmers pestered with deer get somebody to shoot them on their behalf - that's where 90% of all recreational deer stalking [as it is called here] is at. About 30% of our gun club membership of 420 is engaged in sporting deer shoots, and a small proportion of them are professional game management types.

tac

Last Edited:
By the way, when talk is of pheasant SHOOTING [not hunting] from a stand is mentioned, the stand is not a tree stand or anything like it - it is where you STAND on the ground while the pesky little beggars go steaming over your head.

By the way, when talk is of pheasant SHOOTING [not hunting] from a stand is mentioned, the stand is not a tree stand or anything like it - it is where you STAND on the ground while the pesky little beggars go steaming over your head.
Thanks for the correction. You're right, that's not really "hunting", but it still looks like an interesting experience.

Species Sex England,N Ireland, Wales Scotland

Red Stags Aug 1st - April 30th July 1st - Oct 20th
Hinds Nov 1st - March 31st Oct 21st - Feb 15th
Fallow Bucks Aug 1st - April 30th Aug 1st - April 30th
Does Nov 1st - March 31st Oct 21st - Feb 15th
Sika Stags Aug 1st - April 30th July 1st - Oct 20th
Hinds Nov 1st - March 31st Oct 21st Feb 15th
Roe Bucks April 1st - Oct 31st April 1st - Oct 20th
Does Nov 1st - March 31st Oct 21st - Mar 31st
Red/Sika Hybrids Stags Aug 1st - April 30th (NI only) July 1st - Oct 20th
Hinds Nov 1st - March 31st( NI only) Oct 21st - Feb 15th
Chinese Water Deer Bucks Nov 1st - March 31st
Does Nov 1st - March 31st
Muntjac No Closed Season [that's the deer species that looks like a jackalope]

Anything there take your fancy? Bearing in mind that you would have to arrange your own shooting with a ghillie or similar - lots of Americans do just that every year but it is not cheap. But then, you are all soooooooooooooooo rich, right?

Do a search for 'deer stalking in UK vacations' - your own rifle is not necessary - estates in ALL parts of the UK have shoots and can provide a suitable rifle for you and save the PITA paperwork of getting your own over here.

This guy is one of hundreds - well-thought-of, as you can see

- UK Hunting Vacations with Professional Outfitter Mike McCrave

Figure on around $5000/week and you'll be fine.

Most farmers pestered with deer get somebody to shoot them on their behalf - that's where 90% of all recreational deer stalking [as it is called here] is at. About 30% of our gun club membership of 420 is engaged in sporting deer shoots, and a small proportion of them are professional game management types.

tac
That Muntjac you mentioned is the Pygmy Deer (or something extremely similar) they have on that island down in Texas (Antelope Island?).
As for which one would I like to hunt?
Well, they all look good, but I would have to say I would probably have a preference to Red Stag...
Red-Stag.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
736b5403-7c49-4be5-bd27-3d707b9c5877.jpg

....yeah, that's the ticket. ;)

Dean

L O N G resplone.................remember, YOU axed...

Sporting agent Charles Brownlow, who is based in the Borders, says: "I have around 150 estates and river beats on my books, and my best value stalking offer is a bothy for six people self-catering for a week at £2,250, or £375 per person. That includes three stags, and you can add extra stags at £350 + VAT each. Prices have risen steadily in recent years and stags usually start at £400-£450, but if you take a lodge as well, they can be as little as £300 + VAT. You sometimes hear of someone paying as little as £250 for a stag, but if you ask you discover they were friends of the owner staying in the big house."

Charles' sporting packages go up to £20,000 per week for visiting sportsmen, but his bread-and-butter is what he calls "mates" holidays for younger clients. "Most of my clients are aged 25 to 35," he says. "They're at the age where they've started to earn a bit of money, but they don't have a lot of spare cash. The ideal package for them is a lived-in Victorian lodge with 20-30,000 acres of stalking, a river and the opportunity to do a bit of walked-up grouse shooting."

Affordable options

For those on limited budgets there are plenty of options. For example, Ardnamurchan estate is on a rocky peninsula that juts into the Atlantic just above the Isle of Mull, where sporting agent Niall Rowantree of West Highland Hunting offers "everything from the very top end all the way through to the affordable stalk for the man on a small budget".

Niall charges per stag rather than by the day, and over the past four years his clients have had 100 per cent success. "When you're booking stalking, it's important to look out for any hidden costs," he says. "A cheap day rate can add up if you take two days to shoot a stag, and then have to pay extra to have the stag's head boiled and so on." His best stags, with upwards of 15 points, go for up to £3,500, but a typical Ardnamurchan red stag will cost around £650. That includes the head boiled and prepared, ready to take away with you 48 hours later. "You can shoot a stag for less elsewhere, but we provide our stags with feed and shelter over the winter and we only shoot mature stags," he explains. "It takes seven long and lonely winters to grow a decent stag; we need to recover that investment."

Niall tailors his packages to suit individuals and groups — accommodation starts at £400 for a week in a self-catering cottage. For the experienced stalker, he offers self-guided stalking around areas of newly established woodland. You will need a minimum of DMQ Level 2, public liability insurance through membership of a shooting organisation, and the ability to follow a map. You must also be willing to sign a statement that you're in good physical health, as you'll be doing your own stalking and gralloching and dragging the carcase to a collection point. If you can tick all those boxes, the price is £80 per outing, plus £220 for each beast shot.

"For the absolute maximum bang for your buck, it's got to be winter hindstalking," says Niall. "You can have two guys go out with one guide for £350 a day. The guide will stalk you in, you can shoot up to four animals in the day and there's an ATV to get the animals home. Plus it can count towards your DMQ Level 2 portfolio. That's tremendous value for money, and if you want you can take your venison home butchered and packed."

Niall makes his last point a plea from the heart: "Visitors don't always realise how important their financial contribution is to Scottish communities. Taking part in Scottish fieldsports is the best way of supporting what you believe in, the wildness and the wildlife. In a recession especially, it's important to us."

It won't be your primary reason for booking that Scottish stalking break, but parting with the money is easier when you know it is helping to keep the rural economy thriving.

Read more at Stalking: Highland stags on a budget - Shooting UK

Note that this post is seven years old - figure on +25%

tac

...and since I helped drift this thread, please allow me to get it back on track.
While I have no recent acquisitions, here is a pic of the collection that I've been privy to just about my entire life....

GunCases_Dads.jpg

...from far left to far right....

Remington 1100 lightweight 20 ga., mod. (barely seen)
Sears Ted Williams Model 20 12 ga,, full
1898 Mauser sporterized 8mm (this one built in '38)
Remington 1148 12 ga., full
Remington 725 .270, 3-9X Busnell scope
Mossberg 142 (B?) .22RF
Ruger Mk.1 on shelf
Three Winchester 94's in the corner. My dad's on left, then mine and my brother's. I've since sold mine.
Marlin 10-22
H&R Model 088 20 ga., modified with slip-on Winchester Limb Saver
H&R model of 1908, first variation, 16ga., "choke"
Stevens Model 94 16ga., full with Leader Gun Site
1895 Chilean Mauser 7mm. Original stock, but cut down. I believe this gun was built before 1897, because of the markings on the receiver.

Dean

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews