JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Just picked this up, poly tech ak47 legend

Looks like a M18 to me.
The M36's had a more a Sherman look to the turret and chassis.
Crazy side note ... I saw Bosnia Armored units with M36's still in use during the Civil War there....
Andy

Last Edited:
I like how you hunt!
If that thing's gotta coffee maker in it, I'm in!

.....Seriously, do you know if that's an M18 or an M36?

Dean
That's an m18. The M36 Jackson has a more bulky shape like the M10. This m18 doesn't have the soft mantlet cover though so they are easily confused. The M10 has a more arrowhead shaped turret compared to the M36's more slender turret. The m18 was a glass cannon though. Light armor, especially on the top, and a large silhouette, a top speed of about 46 mph and its 220 mm of penetration was a bonus. Sorry for the history lesson, I just really like tanks.
M18 Hellcat: IMG_1066.JPG
M10 Wolverine: IMG_1068.JPG
M36 Jackson: IMG_1067.JPG

That's ok, I like 'em too.
My dad got his start as a diesel mechanic working in the motorpool at Itami AFB in Japan in '46.
We still have that ordinance manual he got that shows every vehicle in the inventory.
Oddly, the M18 is listed as a "T1E1". I understand this was the test version that was later used for training purposes.

Dean

Are you loving the bullet button yet?:p

I'm used to them- and you can get magnetic bullet button tools that defeat the lock feature so it's not really a big deal. Bullet buttons are now "illegal" in Kommiefornia in 2017- a new more elaborate maglock is used. You have to split the recievers and press a button to drop the mag now-lol.
I'm waiting for the DOJ ruling to be locked down before I spend another dollar on that crap.

Geno
16732042_1393822214003852_48865757_o.jpg

Last Edited:
76mm main and a .50 backup. You can get your own for only about $55,230.:D
So my choices are; M18 Tank Destroyer, New Full-Sized Diesel pickup truck, or a larger "Tiny House".
....decisions, descisions...
Interesting history to that 76mm gun.
The 76mm gun was an answer to the 75 MM gun found in the Sherman tank, which was based on the M1898 "French" 75mm artillery gun.
The 75 mil was found to be inadequate to penetrate the ever increasing thickness of the German armour.
It was so weak, American tankers began to work in small squads, known as "packs" (like a wolf pack).
One or two would draw the attention of the German tank, while the remaining tank(s) would then come around its flank and pound away at the thinner armour found back there.
A more powerful gun was first found in the guise of a 3" Naval gun.
Mounted on an M4 chassis, it was quickly found that the turret was no match for this behemoth, so it was rigidly mounted and a shield-like structure was erected around it.
This became known as the M10.
The 3" gun proved much more effective and so a redesign of the gun was enacted, to make it adaptable for tank use.
The result was the 76mm gun found in the later Sherman's and the M18.
The 76's are often see with a rather long barrel because I believe the Naval gun was originally something known as a 3", 50 caliber, meaning that the barrel length was 50 times the diameter of the bore, or 150" which is a little over 10 feet.
Eventually a 90 mm gun was developed that outclassed any of the 75's.
That was the gun that was mounted on the M26 Pershing tank and the M36's.

Dean

So my choices are; M18 Tank Destroyer, New Full-Sized Diesel pickup truck, or a larger "Tiny House".
....decisions, descisions...
Interesting history to that 76mm gun.
The 76mm gun was an answer to the 75 MM gun found in the Sherman tank, which was based on the M1898 "French" 75mm artillery gun.
The 75 mil was found to be inadequate to penetrate the ever increasing thickness of the German armour.
It was so weak, American tankers began to work in small squads, known as "packs" (like a wolf pack).
One or two would draw the attention of the German tank, while the remaining tank(s) would then come around its flank and pound away at the thinner armour found back there.
A more powerful gun was first found in the guise of a 3" Naval gun.
Mounted on an M4 chassis, it was quickly found that the turret was no match for this behemoth, so it was rigidly mounted and a shield-like structure was erected around it.
This became known as the M10.
The 3" gun proved much more effective and so a redesign of the gun was enacted, to make it adaptable for tank use.
The result was the 76mm gun found in the later Sherman's and the M18.
The 76's are often see with a rather long barrel because I believe the Naval gun was originally something known as a 3", 50 caliber, meaning that the barrel length was 50 times the diameter of the bore, or 150" which is a little over 10 feet.
Eventually a 90 mm gun was developed that outclassed any of the 75's.
That was the gun that was mounted on the M26 Pershing tank and the M36's.

Dean
The 90mm did waaaay outperform the 75's but they mad some shell changes and made the m18 great again. Standard round was apbc(armor piercing ballistic capped) with 150mm of penetration but a new round was put out to kill panthers. The apcr (armor piercing composite rigid)round had 220mm of penetration. The m18's main advantage was reload time. With the open turret design and ready rack it could reload in about 5-6 seconds. It was a crazy badass machine. In the month of July 1944, the m18 knocked out 53 German panthers and tiger 1s along with 15 self-propelled track vehicles, while only losing 17 hellcats to enemy fire and other issues. That's a kill loss ration of about 3.1:1.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top