JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let's see 'em

salmon catch.jpg

thanks. Unfortunately, we got there a day before the Silver Salmon Derby began, and the one on the far left would have been the biggest fish caught during the derby. locals were telling me to put in some 50lb test line and leave it swimming in the bay until the next morning, then claim it as caught during the derby :s0131:

LOL...I was just happy to bring it in. it was about 45 minutes past midnight when I finally managed to bring it to the beach, but for those who have been up there in the summer time, that was still plenty of light. unofficial weight when I caught it was 23lbs. Far short of the state or world records for Coho, but plenty big enough to have won the derby that year.

The trick is letting the meat rest for a couple days before you eat it. Also the sturgeon here in Astoria (I live there) are a lot cleaner than the ones up river that are not sea going. All the ones we catch here are bright and have beautiful color. The meat is nice and clean white meat! It smokes better than any fish I have ever eaten, and smoked and canned is absolutely divine!!! D E V I N E!!!!!!!

The trick is letting the meat rest for a couple days before you eat it. Also the sturgeon here in Astoria (I live there) are a lot cleaner than the ones up river that are not sea going. All the ones we catch here are bright and have beautiful color. The meat is nice and clean white meat! It smokes better than any fish I have ever eaten, and smoked and canned is absolutely divine!!! D E V I N E!!!!!!!

That may have been my problem. The only time I tried some was right after we caught it that night. It had an almost muddy taste to it. If you are going to freeze any of it, do you let it sit in the frig for a few days before freezing it?

When you let it rest the meat "relaxes". I filet mine and vacume pack it immediately then freeze it. But I work at a bait and filet shop in the Hammond boat basin during the fishing season, and I have access to an industrial vacume packer. I thaw it and let it sit for a bit, but I usually dry brine mine and smoke it. Takes the muddy flavor right out. It is also great fried! But IMO smoke it!! Dry brine, and let set for a few days, then lay it on racks. I don't rinse mine. Let it dry on the rack before you put it in the smoker. Just air dry it till its not wet anymore, then smoke away!! I use alder and Mesquite...so good...

I've never been sturgeon fishing...yet...but plan to soon. I have to agree, smoked sturgeon is fantastic. I like smoked salmon and steelhead, too, but smoked sturgeon beats them both anyday - as long as its done properly of course.

Nice catches there.

Hoping to make another trip up to Alaska this spring or fall. Have family up there so always have a place to stay, plus my bro-in-law has a nice 21' Hewes that he takes out of Seward or Homer. Last time up, we shipped almost 450 pounds of fish back down here :s0114: Largest chinook I've caught was on the Kenai River up there, 83 pounds. Another guy in the boat had one on that was definitely bigger, but after chasing it up and down river for over an hour, his line finally gave way. :(

Found a 'secret spot' right inside the boat harbor in Seward. Across the street from this spot, the Air Force and Army have their recreation camp. There is a fish cleaning station in the camp, and the drain pipe runs the cleanings right into this spot. People walk and drive right past it everyday without knowing it's there, or they do and have their fill. But it is LEGAL to snag in salt water in Alaska. So with a snagging hook, we walk over to this 'secret spot' and snag as many 15-30 pound HALIBUT and flounder as you can carry :s0114: Over the years, it seems like they have discovered a free smorgaborg for food, free for the taking, so they pile up. Crabs, too.

The last time up, the salmon fishing took a dump, because there were a couple pods of killer whales (Orcas) in the bay. So we watched all our friends launch and come back empty handed, and then watched their jaws drop when they saw our 'catch'. We did share some of the catch, but not the secret spot :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top