JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of my many hobbies is taking pictures. Here's one of Haystack Rock at Cannon beach from Wednesday evening:
HaystackRockCampfire640.jpg

I still enjoy analog/film photography.
Where do you get film developed these days? Do you process your own? B/W or color?

I used to process my own B/Ws and print them in my darkroom, but I got outta that 20 years ago when DSLRs took over the market... :oops:

Thanks for that! I pretty much just got completely out of photography when the industry went away from film and went digital.
I have to face who I am... I'm a Luddite...
I've got literally thou$and$ of dollars of Nikon (2) and Pentax (3) cameras, Nikon and Vivitar lenses, flashes, motor drives, etc. which will likely never see the light of day again... :oops:

I've thought about doing my own b/w film, haven't acted yet.
As you probably already know, B/W processing and enlarging is pretty easy.
I was doing it in high school 40+ years ago as the chief Annual Staff photographer.
Color processing and printing was way beyond my pay grade, though... :rolleyes:

Thanks for that! I pretty much just got completely out of photography when the industry went away from film and went digital.
I have to face who I am... I'm a Luddite...
I've got literally thou$and$ of dollars of Nikon (2) and Pentax (3) cameras, Nikon and Vivitar lenses, flashes, motor drives, etc. which will likely never see the light of day again... :oops:

As you probably already know, B/W processing and enlarging is pretty easy.
I was doing it in high school 40+ years ago as the chief Annual Staff photographer.
Color processing and printing was way beyond my pay grade, though... :rolleyes:
You and my Dad both, Dad was a big time Nikon guy, has two custom F-2's and a metric ton of lenses and all the accessories! Sad really, most of that was top shelf stuff, and Dad won a number of awards with his photos! He still enjoys "Film" but it's all digital now!

@sobo again our history is mysteriously similar - high school yearbook editor here, started in the darkroom in my early teens, ended up with a couple of degrees in photo from up near Kodak and shot Nikon pro for many years. Of course what am doing with it now? I don't even edit my phone pics anymore these days :(

Cool to hear people are still keeping silver halide alive. I processed everything up to color slides back then and always feel I'll get back to it at some point! :cool:

You and my Dad both, Dad was a big time Nikon guy, has two custom F-2's and a metric ton of lenses and all the accessories! Sad really, most of that was top shelf stuff, and Dad won a number of awards with his photos! He still enjoys "Film" but it's all digital now!
My very first camera was a Pentax Spotmatic, one of the first cameras ever made with a built-in light meter. Mine was made by Asahi (not Honeywell), and I bought it back in the mid-70s when my family was living overseas.
Liked it so much that I bought two upgraded models in the following years (1980-ish), the Spotmatic F, in which the light meter was now automatic (no longer stop-down metering - meter turned on as soon as you took the lens cap off ).
That led me into Nikons, first an F2, then finally an FA, which was the last SLR camera I got.

The Pentaxes ran me from 1976 through the mid-80s, then the Nikons took over once I had more "discretionary funds" lying around.
The Nikons ran me up until the turn of the century, after which time I fell out of photography when it became more and more difficult to find processing locations and film. :(

Last Edited:
Kodak Brownie here which I should still have kicking around. A significant other who was also a "shooter" back in the day swore by Pentax. How did their glad compare with your Nikons?

@sobo again our history is mysteriously similar - high school yearbook editor here, started in the darkroom in my early teens, ended up with a couple of degrees in photo from up near Kodak and shot Nikon pro for many years. Of course what am doing with it now? I don't even edit my phone pics anymore these days :(

Cool to hear people are still keeping silver halide alive. I processed everything up to color slides back then and always feel I'll get back to it at some point! :cool:
Awesome! I got as far as dabbling in color slides. I was never gonna be able to afford color printing. Way beyond the scope of my finances back then...

Yeah, I was never successful enough to own the machines (or upkeep) myself. I had access to a couple different commercial labs which enabled me both std color and reversal processing and printing. Of course the Kodachrome was still sent in for development. Man, I still miss that stuff!

Kodak Brownie here which I should still have kicking around. A significant other who was also a "shooter" back in the day swore by Pentax. How did their glad glass compare with your Nikons?
The Pentax used Takumar lenses as the standard supplied lens, which were some awesome glass! Most of the lenses I bought subsequently were Vivitar Series 1.
I really liked the Vivitars, but the Nikon glass was pretty damned good, too. Of course, my Nikon lenses came many years after the lenses I had on my Pentaxes, so probably a good 15 years in lens development between the two sets. My Pentaxes and associated lenses were all screw-mount, and all of my Nikon stuff was bayonet-mount. I bought an adapter, but never really liked how that mated my screw-ons to the Nikons. Eventually just bought Nikon and more Vivitar glass and essentially "retired" the Pentaxes and all of their glass. :(

Kodak Brownie here which I should still have kicking around. A significant other who was also a "shooter" back in the day swore by Pentax. How did their glad compare with your Nikons?

I had a full blown Canon AE-1 set up. Motor drive 3 lenses flash, tripod, remote cable switch. One year at the Hydroplane races around 1986. I took 16 rolls of film that day.

In early September, I woke up in Seattle at about 4:15, left an hour later and drove to Anacortes, put in at Washington Park in my sea kayak at 8:00, went SW across Rosario Strait (which was quite a bit windier and rougher than I'd expected, and also foggy enough that I couldn't see Lopez Island until I was 2/3 of the way across, but the rest of the day was clear and calm as forecast), stopped for a snack and pee near Point Colville, a meal at Iceberg Point, more snack stops at Turn Island and Jones Island, dinner at Point Doughty, paused off North Beach (Orcas Island) to take these sunset pictures, took the moonrise pictures about an hour later halfway or so to Lawrence Point, talked to the Coast Guard on the VHF as I started across Rosario Strait again, stopped at Pelican Beach on Cypress Island for a last pee break around 11:30, and took out again back at Washington Park at 1 AM, right on schedule. Sixty two miles (100 kilometers: metric century!) Slept in my car for a few hours before driving home.

The photos tell only a little of the story, but I really didn't have a lot of time to sit around taking selfies. Sorry photos aren't in logical order!

IMG_2257sunset.JPG IMG_4472sunset.JPG IMG_0737moonrise.jpg IMG_0744.JPG IMG_8371alpenglow.JPG IMG_2257sunset.JPG IMG_4472sunset.JPG IMG_0737moonrise.jpg IMG_0744.JPG IMG_8371alpenglow.JPG IMG_2257sunset.JPG IMG_4472sunset.JPG IMG_0737moonrise.jpg IMG_0744.JPG IMG_8371alpenglow.JPG

Last Edited:
I mentioned my 15 sled dogs in another thread. I also enjoyed dancing at pow wows, but my son and I lost our outfits in the fire in 2012. I am in the center with the horned bonnet, my son on the right.

3de98c10-727a-11e4-b465-c72b950df650_RTR4F5QR.jpg My+son+and+I+at+a+Powwow.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads