JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And, I decided that because there are no "Kits" I would be free to build in a size and complexity I can deal with, it's going to be roughly 1/70th scale, approximately 7 feet long!
I'm trying to figure out how you get 7 feet long at 1/70th scale, when the BB-40 was 624 feet long.
My math says your model should be almost 9 feet long when finished.
We know you're "fast" from the Goofy Humor thread, but Geez, buddy, you shouldn't short yourself on length, too! :p

I'd go with 1/72 if I was attempting that build, nice round 1"=6' and you can use off the shelf plastic kits for crew figures and the Kingfisher floatplanes. :)

Even at this smaller scale it's still 8'8"... big enough you could comfortably build it as R/C or just incorporate powered gun mounts.

I'm trying to figure out how you get 7 feet long at 1/70th scale, when the BB-40 was 624 feet long.
My math says your model should be almost 9 feet long when finished.
We know you're "fast" from the Goofy Humor thread, but Geez, buddy, you shouldn't short yourself on length, too! :p
I did say "Around" as in approximately! LOL
Target is 7 feet or close enough to fit the hearth with out hanging over!

I really wish the Navy had kept one of the New Mexico class or any of the "Standard Battleships" as I think they were the sexiest of them all! Not that I don't like the Iowa's or the others, just something about those Standards that says "Murica, go ahead and try us, and pay dearly! :D

True dat, but if you want to get to around 7 feet, you're gonna need to go to at least a 1/90 scale.
In the vein that @Diamondback was advising, prolly better to go to 1/96 scale, so 1 inch will be an even 8 feet.
That'll make your boat an even 6'-6" long, just right for the mantle. :s0155:
And the little sailors running around on the deck will be about 3/4" tall.

I'd go with 1/72 if I was attempting that build, nice round 1"=6' and you can use off the shelf plastic kits for crew figures and the Kingfisher floatplanes. :)

Even at this smaller scale it's still 8'8"... big enough you could comfortably build it as R/C or just incorporate powered gun mounts.
Actually, that would work better now that you mention it, and as you pointed out, 1/72 scale would make some details easier, and I guess it would have to fit on a table display on the north wall instead! The plan right from the start was to do it as an R/C and to do the main guns up to be fully functional shooting Air Soft BB's like the 1/16 scale tanks do! Glad I haven't lofted it yet LOL! :cool:
I need to post up my latest Tug build once I get it presentable, I made from scratch the Voith Schnider drives fully functional and so far, they have held up to full power and then some with out any issues! God, these 3D printers are a seriously cool tool to scale modeling!
Next up is going to be ether a RotorTug, or a Swivel Tractor Tug, or maybe a combo of those two designs, as nobody has done it yet! :D

I really wish the Navy had kept one of the New Mexico class or any of the "Standard Battleships" as I think they were the sexiest of them all! Not that I don't like the Iowa's or the others, just something about those Standards that says "Murica, go ahead and try us, and pay dearly! :D
Someday I'll have to get those old miniatures out and set up a Battle Line... I have IIRC everything from Nevada to unbuilt Montana, though most need repainting.

Until then, enjoy this shot of my own little "Murderers' Row" back in the day... and these are ONLY the Essexes.
100_2171.JPG

Someday I'll have to get those old miniatures out and set up a Battle Line... I have IIRC everything from Nevada to unbuilt Montana, though most need repainting.

Until then, enjoy this shot of my own little "Murderers' Row" back in the day... and these are ONLY the Essexes.
View attachment 695206
I just cant do small scale, anything under 1/32 is hard to see and manipulate with these big hams!
with modern warships larger then 1912 ( Dreadnaught), 1/200 is considered big, so you can imagine 1/72!
Most of my Tugs are between 1/24th to 1/50th scale, with the new big Tug being 1/18th scale! considering the real things are between 96 and 160 feet long, they are BIG!

And the butthurt at my having amassed so many of those rare ship miniatures was freakin' Old Testament, I tell ya... not to mention same over the horde-o-planes to base aboard 'em.
Are you suggesting that a Significant Other took umbrage with this predilection of yours? o_O

Are you suggesting that a Significant Other took umbrage with this predilection of yours? o_O
No, it was jealous other collctors/gamers, the kind I like to call "Turd-Sucking Whiners." :) "WAAAAAAAH it's not fair that you bought in on Day One and got so many F4F Wildcats and get Hellcats and Avengers by the job-lot!" Well, *I* wasn't the one stopping them from throwing down four hundred bucks a pop for four-case shipments... (Perspective: 5 miniatures per box, 12 boxes per case, MSRP $15/box.)

Let's put it this way, I count my destroyers in complete divisions, nine to a baggie... plane squadrons get bagged by the dozen. Around 2500 individual figures at last count from the big boys all the way down to 2-on-a-tiddlywink PT-boats...

Last Edited:
@Ramfan2500 Kindred spirits we be, I see.
Is it possible that I know you by another avatar on cc.com? o_O

The second ice climbing pic looks similar to Strobach Mountain up my way. Is it?
And the final climbing pic... Peshastin?

@Ramfan2500 Kindred spirits we be, I see.
Is it possible that I know you by another avatar on cc.com? o_O

The second ice climbing pic looks similar to Strobach Mountain up my way. Is it?
And the final climbing pic... Peshastin?
Yes sir, looks that way! The ice is over in Bozeman and the rock is Zion NP.

Unfortunately, I have a dirth of pics as my partners and I rarely pull the camera out. I've been to Peshastin several times for recon while on the way to Mazama or Skaha. I haven't gotten on the rock there yet though. That's a favorite area up there. Between Tieton, Vantage, Leavenworth, Mazama, and Peshastin you've got a lifetime of climbing nearby. I recently had my butt handed to me at Index, another great area with true, old-school grades.

I do troll cc from time to time for condition reports but I don't think I have an account there. Hopefully we'll have access to the crags again soon. There's nothing like going birdwatching when you have to look down to see them! Stay safe!

Mazama is awesome! Love climbing up there. Such clean, solid granite.
And the ice climbing come winter on Goat Peak is hard to beat for how ready the access is. Just drive right up, park, get out, climb!
But my favorite rock venue is in the opposite direction! Lightning Dome on the South Fork Clearwater, outside Grangeville, ID.
Oh, the times I've had there...

Mazama is awesome! Love climbing up there. Such clean, solid granite.
And the ice climbing come winter on Goat Peak is hard to beat for how ready the access is. Just drive right up, park, get out, climb!
But my favorite rock venue is in the opposite direction! Lightning Dome on the South Fork Clearwater, outside Grangeville, ID.
Oh, the times I've had there...
That good to know! I haven't climbed ice in Mazama yet but that sounds amazing. I haven't climbed that crag in ID yet either but City of Rocks is one of my all time favorites. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Kiteboarding is my other main hobby. A couple of years ago I transitioned to using a foil board, which has hooked me even more. Floating across the water in complete silence is a truly incredible feeling!

71942086-Event+Site+06.17.2017-36701.jpg _DSC0917.jpg _DSC0902.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads