JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
nov 18 1.jpg

One of my Gauge 1 live steam locos gets fixed!!!

courtesy of Mike Darby of Chuffed2bits fame....

About seven years ago I was running it over at main131's great track when he asked me to oversee the running of an Accucraft Mogul that needed some attention. I handed the loco over to two elderly gentlemen who had brought nothing to run, but nevertheless told me that they knew all about running steam engines, so in a fit of manic generosity I handed over the train, with the water bottle and controller, advising them of the need to keep an wary eyeball on the water level....

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Twenty minutes later I looked up to see how they were doing, to see the loco and its five Marklin ozeanblau coaches standing motionless on the track, fizzing gently. The fizzing was coming from the fried electronics and the horrific smell emanated from the smokebox stays [melting] and the pointy smokebox front [heatproof paint popping off as I watched]. This movie was made about half an hour earlier, and shows that it really did know how to strut its stuff in the grand manner -

There was no water in the boiler but the fire was still going. They couldn't imagine what had gone wrong, of course.
Hastily turning off the gas, and giving the loco a gentle push gave no results at all - the whole thing had seized up solid and had to be left for half an hour to free up. Had it been later in the day it might just have glowed, a little. The smokebox stays were misshapen blobs on the pilot beam by then - many of the handrail retainers had also disappeared into teeny blobs of shapeless plastic, and the smell was summat awful. The unusual 'streamlined' smokebox front had innumerable 'warts' in the heatproof paint and the internal latches that held it on didn't.

I gave it to the late ELR company to fix, who charged me a considerable sum to replace nearly every component that moved. It was returned to me some time later, but damaged by the handlers, who managed to fling the fifteen pound loco around enough to break off the lubricator adjuster and arrange to actually bend the cab sides - amazing. Of course, it never again worked as advertised, and I was resigned to sticking it on the shelf as a sad reminder of how to spend a couple of thousand euros for an unwanted, if attractive, paper-weight.

Last year in a fit of FGS I gave the loco to Mike Darby to fix, a man I knew and trusted. Knowing that other things were on his mind for a while, I waited until he contacted me - and this he did, by Youtube. So here it is - working better than it has done since those heady days of newness. I look forward greatly to running it again - it really is a very beautiful model.

This is the first track run of my recently-fixed Gauge 1 German Pacific live-steamer, with a short train of five cars...

It's butane gas-fired and has radio control. Joggling with the transmitter and camera means that you've missed the prototypical start from the halt - just like the real thing!!

I do have a need. before my last computer died I found a 2 barrel "heated" aluminum intake. All that is coming up are 4 barrels and multi-carb intakes. The heated part is that it has ports for coolant to warm the intake as it does not touch the exhaust manifold. I would really like to find one of these.

Wish I could help but its not something I have. Good luck on your search as I have found straight 6 parts extremely hard to find the few times I have looked for them.

This little movie was made yesterday by pal Pete and shows his little 0-6-0 live steamer - a 1/32nd scale meth-fired model - and my 1/20.3 scale Accucraft 28 ton Shay, radio-controlled and butane gas-fired. We put in two forty-minute runs before the weather soured up some. The Shay, with its little three-cylinder steam motor thrashing away like a fire in Chinese laundry and chugging long at a scale 7mph, drinks water like a dying camel, and needs topping up TWICE around the 450 foot circuit.

Photo shows Concorde with movable cockpit and nose. Canceled because it was very expensive to operate. Tom

Excuse me?

Concorde was in service from 1976 until 2003. That's 27 years of successful accident-free supersonic transportation, the likes of which the world had never seen before or since.

Eat your heart out, Boeing, and your pipe-dream SST project. Now THAT was cancelled.

It DID have a single but unfortunately catastrophic accident due to FOD from debris on the runway at Charles de Gaulle airport, Paris.

However, it was not 'cancelled' at all, as you imply, but it WAS withdrawn from profitable service. Cancelling a project happens at late prototype stage, even, as in the case of the Canadian 'Arrow' interceptor, with successful trial flying behind it, or, in the case of the boeing SST, at the mock-up stage, and certainly not after a long and illustrious career as the world's only supersonic transport airplane......

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top