JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't do it anymore, but this is my last door car.

e9b22888-aad7-4591-bb0f-a29804ad984c_zpsp2yx19ru[1].jpg

I have three hobbies:
#1 doing cool sh**t
#2 taking pictures
#3 taking pictures of doing cool sh**t

Hey, looks like we know a lot of the same folks. I don't suppose that was you that came up to Mt. Hood in the old Subaru that weekend to hang/shoot with D-Pow and the crew?

Well I got back into the ocean......................its my own little world of critters...........

Sad thing is I could have a 50 cal with what is in there............

IMG_2334.jpg

When I get the chance, I like to hike a bit. Today I went for a drive to scout out some new spots. I took a few pictures and here are a couple.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Here's a few I took on the Oregon dunes last year.

Dunes1.jpg
Dunes2.jpg
Dunes3.jpg

The road season unfortunately never really materialized for me. I suffered from injury early on, straining my TFL:IT tendon under the illiac crest - major hip/leg flexors, kinda need them to race a bike.

Finally healed up by August, I did some flat closed-circuit racing at PIR, and the decided at the last minute to go ahead and do cyclocross (CX) this fall. I'd done some CX a couple years before and really sucked at it (so I thought, anyway... never gave it a decent whack), and just kind of resigned myself to the idea that I'm a road racer and the fast-twitch/sprinty/45-minutes-of-madness that is CX racing just wasnt for me. But with more and more bros doing it, and a washed out road season behind me, I figured I'd give it another shot.

I built a disc-braked bike (new technology in the road/CX bike world, even though mountain bikes have had them for years) from spare parts and a used steel frame I snagged in my size on Craigslist for cheap.. built up my first ever set of disc-hubbed wheels, and bam, had me a pretty nice disc-braked CX bike for less than $700

14237600_323708267972437_5402285113252362319_n.jpg

It was heavy at 24lbs... about 7-9lbs heavier than a race bike should be. But it was cheap, and I didn't really expect to do very well at CX anyway. I figured if I somehow did well in the first series, Blind Date at the Dairy at Alpenrose Farm, and wanted to sign up for the BIG series, Cross Crusade, I'd sell the steel bike and buy a proper carbon fiber race bike.

And I should probably go ahead and explain exactly what a cyclocross race is, for those of you who don't race bikes (probably not a common passtime here on NWFA :p) - they're all closed-circuit short course races with varying terrain, raced on what are essentially modified road bikes. The bikes are modified with MTB-like braking systems and wider frame clearance for fatter mud tires. But still use road groupsets, road geometry (if a little more rearward- you want to keep your weight over the traction wheel) frames, drop-handlebar, 700c road wheels, etc. The courses are short - typically between 1-2 miles, with 1.5-1.7 being most common. The races are timed, rather than a set number of laps - when the leader crosses the finish line inside one lap time to 45 minutes, the race is over, and everyone who crosses the finish line after that is done, even if laps down. The courses are on gravel, mud, dirt, barkdust, asphalt, trails, plywood, stairs, and frequently involve dismounting and running with the bike over your shoulder until you can put the bike down and ride again. The higher skill level you posses, the more you can ride and less you have to dismount and run the bike... the faster you'll be.

Anyway...

First race at Alpenrose was a small disaster for me. But since roadies and CX racers usually don't cross over that much, I think I had a bit of a fitness advantage. I was still in DECENT shape from the little bit of road season I'd had, whereas most of these guys were just starting their CX season. So despite the fact that I dropped my chain THREE times, crashed a couple of times, broke some stuff on my bike and injured myself in a variety of minor but painful ways, I still managed a top-10 finish - 8th of 41 starters. Not a huge field, but still not bad!

Dry conditions at Blind Date
IMG_0217_zpsoncnxvtr.jpg

My main hangups at Blind Date were mechanical, and the fact that this bike, with it's more-than-usual road geometry, had some horrible toe-overlap (TCO) with the front wheel. So I couldn't pedal through sharp turns. The mechanical issues were a result of me re-using old parts off my parts shelf, and my chain tended to skip over some gears. Not to mention the chain throwing problem I mentioned above.

The mechanical problems I addressed immediately. I pulled off the front two chain-rings, which are really unnecessary for CX anyway, and went to a "narrow-wide" 42T single ring, keeping my rear gearing 12t-27t. I never needed any more than a 42 up front anyway. I put a "bash guard" on the big-ring side, and left the top-pull front derailleur on the bike to act as a chain guide.

The 42T small ring I pulled off:
IMG_0196_zpscnea07ca.jpg

New and improved 42t Narrow-wide 1x setup:
IMG_0195_zpsg5quhuyx.jpg

Never had another thrown chain all season.

The TCO I couldn't do anything about. I just had to learn to time my turns to my pedal stroke. I wasn't entirely convinced it was costing me that much time, so I just went with it. Besides.. I still didn't know how I liked cross at that point.

I never did better than 6th place at Blind Date, but I did have a hell of a lot of fun, and I was obviously pretty OK at it. Dozens, hundreds of guys racing, and I consistently top-10'd. Even missing one of the races for work, I managed to finish 8th overall in the series in my category. So I decided to sign up for Cross Crusade!

Cross Crusade is the single biggest cyclocross race series in the WORLD. 8 races over a month and a half, all different locations across Oregon, bringing the best riders in the PNW. The fields went from 40-50 at Blind Date to generally well over 100-110+. My bro suggested I cat myself up to the Men's 4 from the 5s I'd been racing in at Blind Date, because the riders are more experienced and don't crash as much (a problem I'd had at Blind Date was just running into the back of crashed riders!). So I registered for Men's 4 Masters 35+, and did the first two races with those salty bastards.

Sooo many people racing
brujo-cc-women3.jpg

It also happened to be that the rains finally came between Blind Date and Cross Crusade, and by First Crusade, it was muddy as bubblegum.

IMG_0306_zps9qksdsgt.jpg

All the fun and sun of the previous series....... GONE.

Unknown fallen Crusader kneeing in the mud:
14716250_348358175507446_2432279386550782912_n.jpg
Bro rolled his tire on the course:
14702313_340034446339819_6776341842818526246_n.jpg

Conditions were unreal, the competition was thick and fierce. Those first two Crusades were pretty much awful, actually, and I finished mid-field at like 50th-ish both days. I crashed more times than I could count, tore my legs and kit to shreds on muddy rocks and bubblegum.. every race concluded with a wound-cleaning and dressing session

IMG_0303_zpsb7idfc6p.jpg
IMG_0311_zps7btmlagb.jpg

Demoralized, I quit the 4s and went back to the 5s, and licked my wounds for the next week until Crusades 3 and 4. Both of which took place at Cascade Locks, during that "storm of the century" that turned out to be such a flop. But it did rain a lot, and parts of the course were a damn lake.

IMG_0399_zpse9vlkur2.jpg
p554393219-2.jpg
But back in the 5s was where I needed to be, and after racing in the 6" deep condensed pea soup of the first two Crusades, the sloppy wet and sand pits of Cascade Locks were a reprieve. I finished 4th on both days. Never saw the leaders on either day, having started mid-pack of the line both days.

And a note about starting lineup: In road racing, start position doesn't matter at all. Start at the front of the pack, start at the back, it really doesn't matter. But in cyclocross, it REALLY matters - if you lose the front, the leaders, in the first lap... and have to battle countless slow riders just to move into the position you should have started at, you'll have no chance of seeing the podium. Usually, there are "callups" for series points leaders and aggressive riders, whatever criteria is used.. but at Crusades, there are no callups for Cat 5s. So you just have to fight your bubblegum off to get to the front, every damn race, unless you're lucky enough to stack up at the start line.

It was at Battle of Locks Cascade, with all of it's endless hairpin turns that I realized just how badly the TCO (toe clip overlap with my front wheel, remember?) was holding me back. I was losing a ton of time in the corners, and there's just no way you can perform your best when your steed is holding you back. So I finally went ahead and made the investment in a new, legit race bike and snagged a Ridley X-Night for a decent price. Absolute top of the line CX bike.. carbon fiber frame, carbon stem and handlebar, carbon wheels, carbon cranks, Dura Ace carbon groupset, Clement Crusade PDX tubeless tires (European made, internationally used tires named after our very own Cross Crusade here in the PNW!). 17lbs, superior handling, and no TCO.

bubblegumty garage pic
IMG_0442_zps8uevgo7a.jpg

The following weekend, the Crusades took a break and allowed a couple of independent races to get some attention. I missed the first one, for my son's football game, but was able to register for Washougal's MX CX. With a lower turnout than a Crusade, I was able to get to the front right off the start line... and once I took the lead, that was it, buddy.. As the guys behind me faded into the distance, I just started working that X-Night through the hairpins, carving the curves, putting her through the paces. "YEA BABY LEMME SEE WHAT YOU GOT!"

Open course, no competition
IMG_0518_zpsw05cbfrl.jpg

IMG_0522_zpsafqtilj4.png
And that was my first WIN. First cyclocross podium, and first win. Also happened to be that my mostly-estranged father and baby sister came to watch that race... so that was doubly cool. It wasn't a Crusade win - so not AS cool as it could have been, but I felt strong, stoke was high, I loved my new bike, and I knew I was gonna start finding the podium at the Crusades.

Unfortunately, I missed Crusades Five and Six, which were in Bend, and were worth double points and were the two largest turnout Crusades of the whole series. Domestic problems kept me from making that trek. But... marriage tentatively saved, I was ready to race the following weekend: 7th Crusade; Battle of Heron Lakes

Heron Lakes was the first NICE weather race we'd had since the Crusades had began over a month before. Beautiful blue skies and bright warm sun. I felt great, and I knew I was going to do well.
IMG_0614_zpselbxzkex.jpg

Heron Lakes' course was a lot wider and had way more straightaways than the previous Crusade courses. So while I didn't start anywhere near the front, I was able to move up and pass guys really efficiently, and within the first lap, guys on the sidelines were screaming at me that I was in second place! By the end of the first lap, I'd found the leader. I got on his wheel and we battled it out for the next 4 laps of hard, technical, fast racing. In the end, it really just came down to timing the sprint to the finish line, and I failed to adequately assess just how spent my foe truly was - he didn't even stand up for the line sprint! If I'd started my sprint 1/2 second before I did, I would have had him at the line! As it was, my wheel past his about one wheel-length after the line.

But damn it - 2nd place at a Crusade is WAY better than 1st place at Washougal! I was flying high (once I caught my breath, 30 minutes later). Oh man it felt good to get on the podium at a Crusade!

Winner didn't stick around for the podium, for some reason:
IMG_0612_zpssbj0uwxg.jpg

But that was the end of my Cat 5 glory. Having accumulated too many points to continue to race in the 5s, I was forcibly catted up to 4, with one Crusade left! Arg. Bad time to cat up.

The Eighth Crusade, the Last Crusade.... Battle of Barton...

I started mid-pack, and I finished 14th. The course was narrow and fast with technical bottlenecks, and I just could not get to the front on the first lap. After that, once I'd finally battled through all the big and slow guys, it became a 3-man race between myself and two other riders. We didn't even know what positon we were, but we knew we were at least racing each other, it was the last race of the series, and damnit nobody wanted to give up position. I did finally clear both those guys, saving myself for the last lap, and went for it. I left them both quite handily and was a little proud of myself.... but when I coasted up to the scoreboard and saw I'd battled so hard for 14th!

Sporting the new team kit, anyway..
IMG_0620_zpsse3bp4ft.jpg

At least it was a fun day racing bikes, no crashes, no injuries. And the series was over.

Series over, but not quite the season. Now it was time for State Championships. Today!

I'd done very well in the 5s, but, as I mentioned, I'd been forcibly catted up to the 4s two races before. State Championships in the new category? I didn't have much hope. But by the time State draws up, most of the Crusaders have hung up their helms and put their steeds out to pasture. The idea is that it be the strongest, best racers from all across the state - One Race to Rule Them All! - but the reality is that it's a much smaller turnout....... which means it's easier to get to the front. Just like Washougal.

My buddy Ben (yea, same name) and I had a little huddle at the start line, while the announcers were doing callups (which neither of us got). We decided we WOULD make the podium, and together. We'd hit it hard off the line, shotgun the first corner, work the course together and leave the field in our mud. Start whistle finally blew, and POP - I jumped into a big gap on the left and took the lead coming out of the shoot. Knowing I was burning calories I wouldn't get back before the finish line, I just went for it. These guys are all stronger and better bike handlers than me, if I'm gonna go for it, it has to be now.

Ben and I took turns pulling for the first half of the lap, when another guy came out of nowhere and just shot past us. WTF? Oh well, let him go - let him smoke himself. Ben and I stuck together, blocked the field from making any forward progress until we got to the corn maze - a horrible section of bog mud through a bonafide corn maze. Even flat, I was in my bottom gear and pushing hard to squish through that awful section, and eventually Ben took his pull from me for the last time and rode ahead to try to catch the leader. I looked back a few times and saw handful of different sweaty suffering faces disappearing behind corners, but nobody ever got on my wheel. 5 more laps and one guy did finally start to try to reel me in on the bell lap - but I saw him, and kicked it back up.

In the end, the one guy who got that jump on us took first about 15 seconds ahead of Ben, and I came in third about 15 seconds behind Ben. We'd hoped for 1st and 2nd spots, but 2nd and 3rd are still podium finishes, and that's damn fine for both of us at State Championship!

IMG_0646_zpsmmydtooo.jpg

Best of all - podium finishers at State get automatic call-ups at the Crusades the following year... so we'll be leading the pack off the line in '17. YEA!

IMG_0647_zps1vgmjkii.jpg

Now I can chill for a couple months till we start training for '17 road season!

The road season unfortunately never really materialized for me. I suffered from injury early on, straining my TFL:IT tendon under the illiac crest - major hip/leg flexors, kinda need them to race a bike.

Finally healed up by August, I did some flat closed-circuit racing at PIR, and the decided at the last minute to go ahead and do cyclocross (CX) this fall. I'd done some CX a couple years before and really sucked at it (so I thought, anyway... never gave it a decent whack), and just kind of resigned myself to the idea that I'm a road racer and the fast-twitch/sprinty/45-minutes-of-madness that is CX racing just wasnt for me. But with more and more bros doing it, and a washed out road season behind me, I figured I'd give it another shot.

I built a disc-braked bike (new technology in the road/CX bike world, even though mountain bikes have had them for years) from spare parts and a used steel frame I snagged in my size on Craigslist for cheap.. built up my first ever set of disc-hubbed wheels, and bam, had me a pretty nice disc-braked CX bike for less than $700

View attachment 324100

It was heavy at 24lbs... about 7-9lbs heavier than a race bike should be. But it was cheap, and I didn't really expect to do very well at CX anyway. I figured if I somehow did well in the first series, Blind Date at the Dairy at Alpenrose Farm, and wanted to sign up for the BIG series, Cross Crusade, I'd sell the steel bike and buy a proper carbon fiber race bike.

And I should probably go ahead and explain exactly what a cyclocross race is, for those of you who don't race bikes (probably not a common passtime here on NWFA :p) - they're all closed-circuit short course races with varying terrain, raced on what are essentially modified road bikes. The bikes are modified with MTB-like braking systems and wider frame clearance for fatter mud tires. But still use road groupsets, road geometry (if a little more rearward- you want to keep your weight over the traction wheel) frames, drop-handlebar, 700c road wheels, etc. The courses are short - typically between 1-2 miles, with 1.5-1.7 being most common. The races are timed, rather than a set number of laps - when the leader crosses the finish line inside one lap time to 45 minutes, the race is over, and everyone who crosses the finish line after that is done, even if laps down. The courses are on gravel, mud, dirt, barkdust, asphalt, trails, plywood, stairs, and frequently involve dismounting and running with the bike over your shoulder until you can put the bike down and ride again. The higher skill level you posses, the more you can ride and less you have to dismount and run the bike... the faster you'll be.

Anyway...

First race at Alpenrose was a small disaster for me. But since roadies and CX racers usually don't cross over that much, I think I had a bit of a fitness advantage. I was still in DECENT shape from the little bit of road season I'd had, whereas most of these guys were just starting their CX season. So despite the fact that I dropped my chain THREE times, crashed a couple of times, broke some stuff on my bike and injured myself in a variety of minor but painful ways, I still managed a top-10 finish - 8th of 41 starters. Not a huge field, but still not bad!

Dry conditions at Blind Date
View attachment 324101

My main hangups at Blind Date were mechanical, and the fact that this bike, with it's more-than-usual road geometry, had some horrible toe-overlap (TCO) with the front wheel. So I couldn't pedal through sharp turns. The mechanical issues were a result of me re-using old parts off my parts shelf, and my chain tended to skip over some gears. Not to mention the chain throwing problem I mentioned above.

The mechanical problems I addressed immediately. I pulled off the front two chain-rings, which are really unnecessary for CX anyway, and went to a "narrow-wide" 42T single ring, keeping my rear gearing 12t-27t. I never needed any more than a 42 up front anyway. I put a "bash guard" on the big-ring side, and left the top-pull front derailleur on the bike to act as a chain guide.

The 42T small ring I pulled off:
View attachment 324102

New and improved 42t Narrow-wide 1x setup:
View attachment 324103

Never had another thrown chain all season.

The TCO I couldn't do anything about. I just had to learn to time my turns to my pedal stroke. I wasn't entirely convinced it was costing me that much time, so I just went with it. Besides.. I still didn't know how I liked cross at that point.

I never did better than 6th place at Blind Date, but I did have a hell of a lot of fun, and I was obviously pretty OK at it. Dozens, hundreds of guys racing, and I consistently top-10'd. Even missing one of the races for work, I managed to finish 8th overall in the series in my category. So I decided to sign up for Cross Crusade!

Cross Crusade is the single biggest cyclocross race series in the WORLD. 8 races over a month and a half, all different locations across Oregon, bringing the best riders in the PNW. The fields went from 40-50 at Blind Date to generally well over 100-110+. My bro suggested I cat myself up to the Men's 4 from the 5s I'd been racing in at Blind Date, because the riders are more experienced and don't crash as much (a problem I'd had at Blind Date was just running into the back of crashed riders!). So I registered for Men's 4 Masters 35+, and did the first two races with those salty bastards.

Sooo many people racing
View attachment 324104

It also happened to be that the rains finally came between Blind Date and Cross Crusade, and by First Crusade, it was muddy as bubblegum.

View attachment 324105

All the fun and sun of the previous series....... GONE.

Unknown fallen Crusader kneeing in the mud:
View attachment 324106
Bro rolled his tire on the course:
View attachment 324107

Conditions were unreal, the competition was thick and fierce. Those first two Crusades were pretty much awful, actually, and I finished mid-field at like 50th-ish both days. I crashed more times than I could count, tore my legs and kit to shreds on muddy rocks and bubblegum.. every race concluded with a wound-cleaning and dressing session

View attachment 324108
View attachment 324109

Demoralized, I quit the 4s and went back to the 5s, and licked my wounds for the next week until Crusades 3 and 4. Both of which took place at Cascade Locks, during that "storm of the century" that turned out to be such a flop. But it did rain a lot, and parts of the course were a damn lake.

View attachment 324110
View attachment 324111
But back in the 5s was where I needed to be, and after racing in the 6" deep condensed pea soup of the first two Crusades, the sloppy wet and sand pits of Cascade Locks were a reprieve. I finished 4th on both days. Never saw the leaders on either day, having started mid-pack of the line both days.

And a note about starting lineup: In road racing, start position doesn't matter at all. Start at the front of the pack, start at the back, it really doesn't matter. But in cyclocross, it REALLY matters - if you lose the front, the leaders, in the first lap... and have to battle countless slow riders just to move into the position you should have started at, you'll have no chance of seeing the podium. Usually, there are "callups" for series points leaders and aggressive riders, whatever criteria is used.. but at Crusades, there are no callups for Cat 5s. So you just have to fight your bubblegum off to get to the front, every damn race, unless you're lucky enough to stack up at the start line.

It was at Battle of Locks Cascade, with all of it's endless hairpin turns that I realized just how badly the TCO (toe clip overlap with my front wheel, remember?) was holding me back. I was losing a ton of time in the corners, and there's just no way you can perform your best when your steed is holding you back. So I finally went ahead and made the investment in a new, legit race bike and snagged a Ridley X-Night for a decent price. Absolute top of the line CX bike.. carbon fiber frame, carbon stem and handlebar, carbon wheels, carbon cranks, Dura Ace carbon groupset, Clement Crusade PDX tubeless tires (European made, internationally used tires named after our very own Cross Crusade here in the PNW!). 17lbs, superior handling, and no TCO.

bubblegumty garage pic
View attachment 324112

The following weekend, the Crusades took a break and allowed a couple of independent races to get some attention. I missed the first one, for my son's football game, but was able to register for Washougal's MX CX. With a lower turnout than a Crusade, I was able to get to the front right off the start line... and once I took the lead, that was it, buddy.. As the guys behind me faded into the distance, I just started working that X-Night through the hairpins, carving the curves, putting her through the paces. "YEA BABY LEMME SEE WHAT YOU GOT!"

Open course, no competition
View attachment 324113

View attachment 324114
And that was my first WIN. First cyclocross podium, and first win. Also happened to be that my mostly-estranged father and baby sister came to watch that race... so that was doubly cool. It wasn't a Crusade win - so not AS cool as it could have been, but I felt strong, stoke was high, I loved my new bike, and I knew I was gonna start finding the podium at the Crusades.

Unfortunately, I missed Crusades Five and Six, which were in Bend, and were worth double points and were the two largest turnout Crusades of the whole series. Domestic problems kept me from making that trek. But... marriage tentatively saved, I was ready to race the following weekend: 7th Crusade; Battle of Heron Lakes

Heron Lakes was the first NICE weather race we'd had since the Crusades had began over a month before. Beautiful blue skies and bright warm sun. I felt great, and I knew I was going to do well.
View attachment 324115

Heron Lakes' course was a lot wider and had way more straightaways than the previous Crusade courses. So while I didn't start anywhere near the front, I was able to move up and pass guys really efficiently, and within the first lap, guys on the sidelines were screaming at me that I was in second place! By the end of the first lap, I'd found the leader. I got on his wheel and we battled it out for the next 4 laps of hard, technical, fast racing. In the end, it really just came down to timing the sprint to the finish line, and I failed to adequately assess just how spent my foe truly was - he didn't even stand up for the line sprint! If I'd started my sprint 1/2 second before I did, I would have had him at the line! As it was, my wheel past his about one wheel-length after the line.

But damn it - 2nd place at a Crusade is WAY better than 1st place at Washougal! I was flying high (once I caught my breath, 30 minutes later). Oh man it felt good to get on the podium at a Crusade!

Winner didn't stick around for the podium, for some reason:
View attachment 324116

But that was the end of my Cat 5 glory. Having accumulated too many points to continue to race in the 5s, I was forcibly catted up to 4, with one Crusade left! Arg. Bad time to cat up.

The Eighth Crusade, the Last Crusade.... Battle of Barton...

I started mid-pack, and I finished 14th. The course was narrow and fast with technical bottlenecks, and I just could not get to the front on the first lap. After that, once I'd finally battled through all the big and slow guys, it became a 3-man race between myself and two other riders. We didn't even know what positon we were, but we knew we were at least racing each other, it was the last race of the series, and damnit nobody wanted to give up position. I did finally clear both those guys, saving myself for the last lap, and went for it. I left them both quite handily and was a little proud of myself.... but when I coasted up to the scoreboard and saw I'd battled so hard for 14th!

Sporting the new team kit, anyway..
View attachment 324117

At least it was a fun day racing bikes, no crashes, no injuries. And the series was over.

Series over, but not quite the season. Now it was time for State Championships. Today!

I'd done very well in the 5s, but, as I mentioned, I'd been forcibly catted up to the 4s two races before. State Championships in the new category? I didn't have much hope. But by the time State draws up, most of the Crusaders have hung up their helms and put their steeds out to pasture. The idea is that it be the strongest, best racers from all across the state - One Race to Rule Them All! - but the reality is that it's a much smaller turnout....... which means it's easier to get to the front. Just like Washougal.

My buddy Ben (yea, same name) and I had a little huddle at the start line, while the announcers were doing callups (which neither of us got). We decided we WOULD make the podium, and together. We'd hit it hard off the line, shotgun the first corner, work the course together and leave the field in our mud. Start whistle finally blew, and POP - I jumped into a big gap on the left and took the lead coming out of the shoot. Knowing I was burning calories I wouldn't get back before the finish line, I just went for it. These guys are all stronger and better bike handlers than me, if I'm gonna go for it, it has to be now.

Ben and I took turns pulling for the first half of the lap, when another guy came out of nowhere and just shot past us. WTF? Oh well, let him go - let him smoke himself. Ben and I stuck together, blocked the field from making any forward progress until we got to the corn maze - a horrible section of bog mud through a bonafide corn maze. Even flat, I was in my bottom gear and pushing hard to squish through that awful section, and eventually Ben took his pull from me for the last time and rode ahead to try to catch the leader. I looked back a few times and saw handful of different sweaty suffering faces disappearing behind corners, but nobody ever got on my wheel. 5 more laps and one guy did finally start to try to reel me in on the bell lap - but I saw him, and kicked it back up.

In the end, the one guy who got that jump on us took first about 15 seconds ahead of Ben, and I came in third about 15 seconds behind Ben. We'd hoped for 1st and 2nd spots, but 2nd and 3rd are still podium finishes, and that's damn fine for both of us at State Championship!

View attachment 324118

Best of all - podium finishers at State get automatic call-ups at the Crusades the following year... so we'll be leading the pack off the line in '17. YEA!

View attachment 324119

Now I can chill for a couple months till we start training for '17 road season!

Congratulations on a successful season! Your post almost makes me regret selling my cross bike a few years ago. I raced cat 3 on a single speed and what a blast it was!

Why'd you give it up??

The short answer is lack of money. I was a bike mechanic at the time and not making very much. Now it's lack of time (and still money) - I work swing shift and go to school full time. I'm about to start a new job which will give me more of both, so I'll probably get back into it. I also did the Monday night short track MTB at PIR, while you were road racing I'd guess, and I am definitely going to do that again. If you want to up your cross game try mountain biking. Road guys have the fitness, but usually lack the bike handling skills. MTBing will help tremendously.

This is me at Kruger's 2013
886325701_zpsmwnwgsi4.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews