JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They sure do make a big boom.
This likes 38 to 40 grains of 3F. It really puts a smack on the gongs.
But it sounds like you might already know that seeing as how you sorta own one LOL!
Andy
They sure do make a big boom.
This likes 38 to 40 grains of 3F. It really puts a smack on the gongs.
But it sounds like you might already know that seeing as how you sorta own one LOL!
Andy
Gotta be careful with those barrel wedge pins. And they can be a pain to clean, but are really fun to shoot. Haven't shot one in a while, though.

Yep seen a lot of cap and ball revolvers with buggered up or replaced wedge pins.
I see that you are in Whatcom County , maybe we can get together someday to shoot.
Send me a PM sometime you want to get together ...
Andy

Old nasty Mauser stock. Had it laying around. Decided to try some new (new to me, at least) tricks to resurect it...

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Today's C&R project? Repair the shrinkage split on a 1917 Enfield. The split runs from the top right rail a 1/2" ahead of the handguard ring rearward and downward towards, but not intersecting with, the front reinforcing crossbolts.

First, opened the crack (gently, oh so gently. 1917 stocks are insanely expensive) and blew out loose debris. Then used a small dremel bit and opened up the inside of the crack a bit.

Mixed up and dyed some acraglas (fantastic stuff for fixing cracks, will cure stronger than the original wood), stir for two to three minutes.

Make a small wedge out of a mini-popsicle stick. Make another small sharpened stick as the applicator. Drip acraglas into the crack, wetting both sides where possible, otherwise just letting it wick into the crack until no more will go in. Remove wedge. Push crack close and make sure there is ample squeeze-out to assure good coverage.

Clean squeeze out from outside of stock (less important if you are refinishing, I am not). Place tape over crack to hold temporarily and keep excess from doing a lot of staining of the stock (some is almost inevitable it seems). Wrap the section of the stock (gently again, like I said, these stocks are stupidly expensive) with surgical tubing, making sure that the pressure pulls down when wrapping, rather that in towards the barrel channel.

Let it set for a day wrapped. Remove wrapping and tape. Let cure for another day. Two to three days total cure time. Clean as necessary, reassemble, shoot.

Will post photos after the repair sets and after it get reassembled and the stock cleaned up. Still need to have @Velzey parkerize the metal parts. Will be a sexy beast when it's all done!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I've read that he and his unit were issued 1917's in France.
There are pics of him with an 03 stateside ...
At that time there were not enough 03's around so many units were issued 1917's in France.
Could be worse my neighbor when I was growing up was a WWI veteran form a Michigan National Guard unit that got mobilized ... He remembers drilling with 1873 Springfields, then being issued 1917's in France.

Back to York regardless of what rifle he was issued or used in France , he was a great man.
And one I would have loved to have met and gone shooting with.
Andy

Last Edited:
Well. I said I would set up a 30 carbine shooting trip with you. So maybe I should get my but down that way?

And if you set that stock aside for me. And let me bring it home to work on. I would have a crack at it.
[Pun intended] ;)

Try not to laugh at me.
But I can fix that.

Well. I said I would set up a 30 carbine shooting trip with you. So maybe I should get my but down that way?

And if you set that stock aside for me. And let me bring it home to work on. I would have a crack at it.
[Pun intended] ;)

I will definitely set it aside for you to play with.

And yes, you definitely need to come down and do some shooting. We could have a heck of a good time with all the milsurp we could put together!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top