JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My 1960 Savage 99 in 308. I have some very nice bolt rifles and a couple AR's in hunting calibers but I always seem to have this in my hands in the woods. It's light, easy to carry with the rounded bottom and the Leupold model 8 fixed 4 power makes this by far my favorite. 482AD52E-33EF-4857-A45D-13B3BA6EDC83.jpeg

My 1960 Savage 99 in 308. I have some very nice bolt rifles and a couple AR's in hunting calibers but I always seem to have this in my hands in the woods. It's light, easy to carry with the rounded bottom and the Leupold model 8 fixed 4 power makes this by far my favorite. View attachment 1094518
I have a 1957 model of the same gun, 1640383283493.jpeg was the first centerfire I ever shot

Mine's '74 vintage Model 70 in .270 Winchester. First gun I bought for myself. The original scope was a Weaver K-4 but she's now topped with a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8. I refinished the stock a few years ago and opened up the barrel channel in a few places to full float the barrel. The barrel likes a little fowling. First shot from a clean bore is always an inch right at 100 yards then she settles in and makes groups. Preferred ammo is Remington Core-Lokt 130 grain.

36e096ba3d5ed765d40dcf573b2d57fc.jpg a31bafd94864c13c3519bff7c3c237f4.jpg

When I started hunting deer in 75 at the age of 12-15/16 (my birthday is during deer season) I carried the old 30-30 that had also been used by my older sisters. I used it to hunt and plink with until the early 90's when I could afford other guns. It's old. It's worn out. Pie plate past 100 yards? Well, maybe. This rifle had a very rough life before I first saw it in the late 60's. Sometime in the late 70's or early 80's I ham handedly "restored" it. :oops:
Last year I cleaned it up, took it hunting and shot a little buck. The first time in my lifetime it had been used to take a game animal. I've since then packed it along on occasion in hopes of filling that cougar tag.
1917 vintage Winchester Model 1994 Saddle Ring Carbine in 30WCF (30-30)
20201003_134225.jpg 20200420_175923.jpg

Well, I don't hunt, but if I did, THIS would be my #1 choice. It's a Model B Mauser sporting rifle in 7x57 Mauser [what else?] It's been seen here so many times that you must all be sick and tired of seeing it, but even after all this time, I still get a real kick out of shooting it, from knowing its actual history since it was bought in the Army & Navy Store, Great Victoria Street, London, back in 19 and 13. Thanks to pal Jim, I can shoot it with the correct bullet these days, too.

The family that bought it emigrated to Rhodesia that same year, and grew something or other until the end of 1989, by which time the writing on the wall was plain to see with regard to the abyss into which Rhodesia, under the careful guidance of the late Robert Mugabe, was inexorably falling. Half the family came back to UK, the rest went to neighbouring Tanzania. The rifle was one of a number of guns they brought back and sent off to auction in Liverpool. At around that time I was looking for a 7mm Mauser for the sporting rifle competition in the Vintage Arms Association, in which I was, at that time, a member. A couple or so years after that, for reasons I've never comprehended, the management committee went all anti-military - a great shame, since all the ranges they used were actually military....I digress. At that time I was a Major, and I quit forever. Meanwhile, a good pal who ran a gun store in Chester had been tasked with finding me a 7mm rifle, and this is what he found. It had been well-used by whoever had taken it out to get pot-meat for the black employees of the farm, but was not in bad shape cosmetically. The bore was, and still is, excellent, although the blueing is thin along the barrel where it was carried over the shoulder by the user. It never had a sling while it was in Africa, but I recently got given a genuine Mauser sling of the period, and use it.

1640867120344.png
1640867647508.png
1640868045982.png
Now here is where it gets interesting, if not downright spooky. Fast forward to 2014, and I'm here on the range shooting it when up comes my dear old buddy from Tanzania. Even after many years, he still sounds like he just got off the boat - he also makes great Braie sausages, BTW. We talked about the two Mausers I was shooting - the other is a genuine Boer War bringback, again, with history - and we made a little Youtube video - see -
and took some more pictures. 'I went to boarding school in Harare with a guy of the same name as that family' - he told me. 'I'll get in touch just to see if it rings any bells with him'.

And that's just what he did.

A few weeks later, he came over to me and told me the news - 'That rifle belonged to my pal's grandpa, and he learned to shoot with it as a youngster...'

Small world, eh?

Last Edited:
Took over a month to get rings and find an appropriate scope.
Took "Ol Bob" out and put a few rounds thru it yesterday.

with a few down the pipe.jpg

I just love older rifles of the MBP* era.

*Made before plastic.
I had a Hogue Overmoldedstock on my Ruger for quite a while. It's a great stock. Somewhat grippy to the touch even when wet and it had a real cushy recoil pad that soaked up a lot of the recoil. It's the stock I had the rifle mounted in when I took it to an Appleseed and shot well over 200 rounds of 30-06 in two days. When my rifle is mounted in that stock it's a tool, a very good tool, but nothing else.
A year ago I fixed it. And, Boy! Did I!
I ordered a Boyd's stock. Did minimal inlet work and glass bedded it. Then I found a load to make 180gr Ballistic Tips carve a nice little pattern on the target. This rifle never shot this well before.

This rifle has been my "project" for quite a while. Bought it new, blasted the finish, installed a Timney, had it rechambered and have restocked it twice. If I was a smart man I'd sell everything else and keep this one. In fact, I did that once but all of these cool rifles keep coming along. Can't help it, I'm a sucker for Model 70s.
30-06 AI Ruger 77MKII.

20201202_200439.jpg 20201202_201443.jpg First time out in Boyds.jpg ladder test 9.14.21.jpg

Last Edited:
Well, this morning on the range, having 'killed' a six-inch gong half a dozen times in a row with an open-sighted High Wall in .45-70 Govt, I decided that it might also be a good game-getter, especially in the woods on deer of suitable size. Don't pay no mind to the tang sight - that's for the longer ranges only.

1645375346360.png

...and for my pal Andy54Hawken here, my reservations about using even the .45-70 Govt are well-founded, especially in Scotland. Although it certainly meets the minimum calibre, it is marginal for legal deer shooting.

UK Calibre Law

For all deer of any species, a minimum calibre of . 240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 ft lb is the legal requirement. For roe deer, the bullet must weigh at least 50gr AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 fps AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 ft lb.

Species Min bullet weight Calibre Min muzzle energy
Red, Fallow and Sika
England & Wales n/aNot less than .240 inches1,700 foot pounds
Scotland100 grains n/a1,750 foot pounds (min muzzle velocity 2,450 feet per second)
N Ireland100 grainsNot less than .236 inches1,700 foot pounds
Roe
England & Wales n/aNot less than .240 inches1,700 foot pounds
Scotland50 grains n/a1,000 foot pounds (min muzzle velocity 2,450 feet per second)
N Ireland100 grainsNot less than .236 inches1,700 foot pounds
Muntjac and Chinese water deer
England & Wales50 grainsNot less than .220 inches1,000 foot pounds
Scotland100 grains n/a1,750 foot pounds (min muzzle velocity 2,450 feet per second)
N Ireland50 grainsNot less than .220 inches1,000 foot pounds
It must be stressed that all these figures are the minimum legal requirement. For all deer stalking the bullet must be of a type designed to expand/deform on impact.

Note that in Scotland, BOTH velocity and muzzle energy requirements MUST be met. Getting that out of ANY .45-70 Govt cartridge just ain't going to happen. :(

Last Edited:
Hi Fellow C&R Junkies,

Quite some time ago, I picked up this Stevens 325 with a group of rifles and parts from an estate. I really had no idea what the heck they were, and never knew there was such a thing as a .30-30 bolt gun. The stock was in very poor condition, the gas shield clips were bent (which had the bolt jammed), and of course it had never been cleaned. I was able to persuade the bolt out and save the mechanicals.

I often wonder how people could treat ANY civilian firearm so badly. The wood had dents, gouges, and deep scratches. It took quite a bit of sanding and steam, and then I just had to say it was as good as it was gonna get.

Last week, while LGS dumpster diving, I found a recoil pad that would be a close enough fit, with a little trim off the butt and pad both, and a nice era correct basket weave sling. I added the swivels.

Some Old English and syth oil on the furniture, a splash of olive oil on the dried up sling, and viola, good loner gun or first time center fire shooter rifle.

The final item needing addressed is the rear sight. It has a crack that needs braised. Came with an extra mag, and the pointy boolits I picked up garage sailing.

I know I've committed a mortal C&R sin with sanding and saw, but it lives to kill again. PAX

325%20001_zpsugb2glih.jpg

325%20003_zpshqilwdbf.jpg

325%20004_zpsd382btwq.jpg

Hi Fellow C&R Junkies,

Quite some time ago, I picked up this Stevens 325 with a group of rifles and parts from an estate. I really had no idea what the heck they were, and never knew there was such a thing as a .30-30 bolt gun. The stock was in very poor condition, the gas shield clips were bent (which had the bolt jammed), and of course it had never been cleaned. I was able to persuade the bolt out and save the mechanicals.

I often wonder how people could treat ANY civilian firearm so badly. The wood had dents, gouges, and deep scratches. It took quite a bit of sanding and steam, and then I just had to say it was as good as it was gonna get.

Last week, while LGS dumpster diving, I found a recoil pad that would be a close enough fit, with a little trim off the butt and pad both, and a nice era correct basket weave sling. I added the swivels.

Some Old English and syth oil on the furniture, a splash of olive oil on the dried up sling, and viola, good loner gun or first time center fire shooter rifle.

The final item needing addressed is the rear sight. It has a crack that needs braised. Came with an extra mag, and the pointy boolits I picked up garage sailing.

I know I've committed a mortal C&R sin with sanding and saw, but it lives to kill again. PAX

View attachment 1135897

View attachment 1135898

View attachment 1135899
Well done to you, Sir!! Talk about a Lazarus rifle!!! I hope it serves you well in the coming years. BTW, I think you mean 'brazing' rather than 'braising' - the first means joining with bronze, the second means 'very slow-cooking in the oven'. However, what YOU do with YOUR guns behind closed doors in entirely your own affair...;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top