JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yeah I know what you mean... when I bought the rifle it had the front sights cantered off center to the right and was going to send it back to Remington. the wife knew I wanted a WWG Co-Pilot and said to send it to them.. I figured it would be a once in a lifetime thing, the only thing I am a little remorseful of is that I didnt have them make it into the 50 Alaskan while they had it... But I had already bought 500 pieces of 45-70 brass from Starline.

I figured it would be a once in a lifetime thing, the only thing I am a little remorseful of is that I didnt have them make it into the 50 Alaskan while they had it... But I had already bought 500 pieces of 45-70 brass from Starline.

I'm one that likes things that are a bit odd, but useful and the 50 Alaskan is that way.
But I'd have left it a 45-70 just like you did. A hot rodded 45-70 is thing of beauty itself.

Very nice gun.:cool:

yeah I know what you mean... when I bought the rifle it had the front sights cantered off center to the right and was going to send it back to Remington. the wife knew I wanted a WWG Co-Pilot and said to send it to them.. I figured it would be a once in a lifetime thing, the only thing I am a little remorseful of is that I didnt have them make it into the 50 Alaskan while they had it... But I had already bought 500 pieces of 45-70 brass from Starline.

.45-70? The Elk won't notice!:D

I worked over another Ruger for fun. This one's a 300 Win Mag. Will make a great elk rifle. I'm just not sure if I'm going to hang on to it.

P1010175.JPG P1010177.JPG

orygun, I like that rifle. Looks like you took the shiny off with a bead blast. Good scope choice too. I've been thinking about giving one of those VXR's a try too. I think the illuminated reticle might give a guy an edge in the dark timber we hunt here in Oregon. I had a Ruger mkII 300 win mag for a while and later gave it to my dad because the recoil was atrocious. It has the boat paddle stock and good year rubber tread butt plate on it. Your stock should soak up a lot more recoil, making it much more pleasant to shoot. My dad keeps offering to give the rifle back. He doesn't like how it kicks either:eek:. I know, you are thinking this is coming from a guy that shoots a 7 3/4 pound 338 win mag. Well, the 300 rattled my brains more than the Winchester model 70 does. However, yours should be better with that Hogue. Glass bed the recoil lug tight and it should be a good shooter.

I'm one that likes things that are a bit odd, but useful and the 50 Alaskan is that way.
But I'd have left it a 45-70 just like you did. A hot rodded 45-70 is thing of beauty itself.

Very nice gun.:cool:

You like odd and useful things, you'd probably like this elk rifle I packed for a while. My eyes aren't what they used to be or I'd still have this one. This rifle had so much mojo that it wasn't even funny. Oddly, it attracted old cowboy's out in the elk fields.... On numerous occasions, I had guys stop me and ask to look at the old rifle:

008_zps55b4c2a1.jpg

orygun, I like that rifle. Looks like you took the shiny off with a bead blast. Good scope choice too. I've been thinking about giving one of those VXR's a try too. I think the illuminated reticle might give a guy an edge in the dark timber we hunt here in Oregon. I had a Ruger mkII 300 win mag for a while and later gave it to my dad because the recoil was atrocious. It has the boat paddle stock and good year rubber tread butt plate on it. Your stock should soak up a lot more recoil, making it much more pleasant to shoot. My dad keeps offering to give the rifle back. He doesn't like how it kicks either:eek:. I know, you are thinking this is coming from a guy that shoots a 7 3/4 pound 338 win mag. Well, the 300 rattled my brains more than the Winchester model 70 does. However, yours should be better with that Hogue. Glass bed the recoil lug tight and it should be a good shooter.

Yup, blasted it, but not with glass beads. A friend has a cabinet with a coarser garnet that gives the finish I like. It's fairly rough.
I like the VXR with 3 comments. It's not unusual to spin the elevation turret dragging the rifle thru the brush. Finding the 30mm rings in the Ruger Target grey finish wasn't cheap/easy. It is not a light scope. The optics and the adjustable red dot are sweet.
My 06 came with a Boat Paddle stock. Hated it before I touched it. Comparitively, the Hogue soaks up recoil very well. Buy one for your dad. Best $125 you ever spent.

I like really nice old hunting rifles of the pre WW2 era and especially the African big game rifles. I have had the good fortune to have grown up around two grandparents who had a passion for fine works of art that function and shoot! My Grand Dad and Grand Mother helped me build my first custom rifle from an old M98 Mauser and that started it all for me then! I have since found a Holland and Holland commercial Mauser magnum in .375 H and H that I reamed out to .375 Weatherby Mag. I have a .458 Winchester Pre 64 Mod 70, a .338 win mag F/N Browning, and a Few one of a kind Griffin and Howe rifles I found at an estate sale. My latest Project is a recreation of One of 24 ever made .500 Jeffries bolt actions made by Holland and Holland in the 20's This is to be a faithful replica of the Fredric Jamison Rifle that was used all over Rodesia in the 20's and I am also building a pair of matching rifles in .378 Weatherby and in .30/06 all to be used with the big .500 when I return to the Dark continent one last time! The big .375 Weatherby is my go to for all big game when I am not sure of the conditions or the difficulty of the shot. Yes its big, but when it speaks, things drop! I love the sound of these big rifles echoing through the mountains!

I like really nice old hunting rifles of the pre WW2 era and especially the African big game rifles. I have had the good fortune to have grown up around two grandparents who had a passion for fine works of art that function and shoot! My Grand Dad and Grand Mother helped me build my first custom rifle from an old M98 Mauser and that started it all for me then! I have since found a Holland and Holland commercial Mauser magnum in .375 H and H that I reamed out to .375 Weatherby Mag. I have a .458 Winchester Pre 64 Mod 70, a .338 win mag F/N Browning, and a Few one of a kind Griffin and Howe rifles I found at an estate sale. My latest Project is a recreation of One of 24 ever made .500 Jeffries bolt actions made by Holland and Holland in the 20's This is to be a faithful replica of the Fredric Jamison Rifle that was used all over Rodesia in the 20's and I am also building a pair of matching rifles in .378 Weatherby and in .30/06 all to be used with the big .500 when I return to the Dark continent one last time! The big .375 Weatherby is my go to for all big game when I am not sure of the conditions or the difficulty of the shot. Yes its big, but when it speaks, things drop! I love the sound of these big rifles echoing through the mountains!

I hate to utilize an over-utilized cliche, but your post really is useless without some pictures. Especially to those of us with the same sicknesses...

You like odd and useful things, you'd probably like this elk rifle I packed for a while. My eyes aren't what they used to be or I'd still have this one. This rifle had so much mojo that it wasn't even funny. Oddly, it attracted old cowboy's out in the elk fields.... On numerous occasions, I had guys stop me and ask to look at the old rifle:

Wow! That's a beauty, bsa! Just plain elegant!:)

Yup, blasted it, but not with glass beads. A friend has a cabinet with a coarser garnet that gives the finish I like. It's fairly rough.
I like the VXR with 3 comments. It's not unusual to spin the elevation turret dragging the rifle thru the brush. Finding the 30mm rings in the Ruger Target grey finish wasn't cheap/easy. It is not a light scope. The optics and the adjustable red dot are sweet.
My 06 came with a Boat Paddle stock. Hated it before I touched it. Comparitively, the Hogue soaks up recoil very well. Buy one for your dad. Best $125 you ever spent.

Cools beans. Thanks for the advice too. I also like the Hogue stocks, even though they are a bit bulky and a tad heavy. Thanks for the info on the scope too. I always thought that would make a damn good elk hunting scope. I've looked through a few of them and have almost decided on the 4-12x40 with the ballistic firedot reticle. I've had my share of the CDS turrets and don't care too much for them because they do move on you. It seems that when I hunted with one (VX3 3.5-10X40 with CDS), it got bumped quite often. Brush would turn the dial for me. I'd have to look at it every few minutes, just to make sure it wasn't on 450 yds or something...:mad:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top