JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys, I'm new here and I thought I'd show you some of my elk rifles. I generally use a 338 win mag of some sort. Most years it was an old Ruger m77 mkII that I really enjoyed. Last year I packed a semi custom pre 64 model 70 338 win mag and my trusty ol 375 H&H. I wasn't having any luck with the 338, so I figured what the heck and packed the 375. As luck would have it, I wasn't having any luck with elk hunting last year, but got to enjoy the beautiful scenery and took a week off of work. Here's a couple of my favorite rifles. Show me what you guys packed last year:

pre 64 model 70 (H&H action) 338 win mag with stainless gre-tan barrel, Brown pounder stock, cerakoted midnight blue by a good buddy locally, brown paint and red decelerator done by yours truly. The rifle is a MOA shooter with my handloads (225gr. Hornady interlocks and 250gr. sierra gamekings). All up weight on this one is 7 3/4 pounds:

1956 375 H&H model 70 in oldstyle coyote bomber McMillan swirly stock and 3.5-10x44 Zeiss conquest scope. Rifle shoots excellent with 260gr. Nosler partitions (seconds of course):

Happy hunting guys.

DSC00152_zpsopr943d5.jpg DSC00157_zpsc3kax6bf.jpg IMG_0279_zpsodma0ca7.jpg 001_zps92f2c928.jpg

CZ557.jpeg andys-hawken.jpg Either one of these two:
My .54 caliber Hawken Rifle copy . Which has gotten elk before, or my new C.Z.557 Carbine in .30-06. I haven't hunted with the C.Z. yet, but I'm sure it will do.
Andy

Last Edited:
I have one hunting rifle. The last elk I shot was with a nearly identical rifle, but it was blued. (I gave that one to my oldest nephew when he graduated high school) This is also the rifle I use at Appleseed KD events. These events are fantastic practice for hunting.
Ruger 77 MKII in a Hogue stock. The original finish was too bright for my tastes. I tore it apart and blasted it to tone it down, then fitted a Timney trigger and set it at 2 1/2 lbs pull. Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40. It's chambered in 30-06, but right now @Velzey has it cutting the chamber to 30-06 AI. Really looking forward to playing with it when I get it back.

RUGER.jpg

Shiloh Sharps 45-120, it makes the elk fall down dead!
I've posted these pics before, I should take some new ones:D

I got bored a few years ago hunting with normal cartridges..Had a chance to purchase this at a very good price.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I use the 5 round mag like the top gun and a leupold 4x but mounted slightly further to the front then gun #3 so I can top load a round of I want.

Would have gone stainless if I bought it new. When it gets banged up enough I'll have it Cerekoted or something.

.308win
180gr Corelokt boolits

(I hunt on the west side so not really any shots past 150 yards max)

I'm still a hiker with a gun though - no success these last two years of trying.

View attachment 281766

I'm still a hiker with a gun though - no success these last two years of trying.

Hunting Blacktails (yeah, I know this is an elk thread) makes many people hikers with a gun. My friend calls hunting, "Taking my rifle for a walk". :)

I don't use factory ammunition any more, but when I did it was 180gr Core-Lokts for everything.

Cool rifles guys. Thanks for sharing with the new guy. To the poster that wanted to know where "T.D" is. Yes, The Dalles... I also agree with some of you guys about taking your rifles for walks. The unit I hunt in is your typical 4% hunters success rate area. I put in for a cow tag every year, because I love elk meat and they are much easier to find. But it takes 5 or 6 preference points to get a cow tag here. You guys know how that is. AndyinEverson posted a pic of his CZ. I used to use a real nice CZ 550 American chambered in 9.3x62mm, but sold it to a friend. It was a good elk sledge hammer and extremely accurate.

Smith & Wesson Model 1500, .30-06, Vortex Viper 6-20x50, 220 grain for elk, 180 grain for deer. 2013 buck, 75 yards sitting on my rump. Buck was quartering away at a trot. Hit just in front of hind leg on right side. Bullet stopped near left front shoulder.

deer.JPG

2012 buck - 100 yds off hand. Dead center hit just behind the shoulder.
deer2012-2.jpg
deer2012-3.jpg

And here's where I hunt. Got both of these bucks within 100 yards of the edge of this canyon.
DeerCountry1.JPG

Shiloh Sharps 45-120, it makes the elk fall down dead!
I've posted these pics before, I should take some new ones:D

I got bored a few years ago hunting with normal cartridges..Had a chance to purchase this at a very good price.

View attachment 281760 View attachment 281761
OK so how many midgets do you take with you to carry that thing and how do you keep them quiet?
I hunted Clallam county for elk with a bow a couple years but this year my shoulder was having none of that
I wasn't a resident in time to get a bull tag so I got a "greenlands" tag. cow within 1 mile of cultivated field. Heck don't eat horns anyway.
I took my m70 308 for the first half of the season and then the greenlands tag turned into a muzzle loader tag so traded for a CVA Optima.(no not the m70) I can change the chamber? out to make it modern or leave it how it is for traditional seasons. Very accurate right out of the box
404 grains dropped her right there

I have a small herd of gunbearers. Some of them get cranky when we go over the side of a steep canyon. I've found that the promise of whisky in the afternoon and peperoni works well...But once they get into the whisky, I am carrying all my own stuff again!

I have a small herd of gunbearers. Some of them get cranky when we go over the side of a steep canyon. I've found that the promise of whisky in the afternoon and peperoni works well...But once they get into the whisky, I am carrying all my own stuff again!

After the whiskey they become brush beaters eh? Can't say I blame you:D.

I get a little nervous with just one other person along for the ride till I get to know them better.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top