JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I am trying to find someone to show me the best way to load 50 bmg. I live in Portland and I can drive a little. I can make it worth your while, pay you. I'll pay for/ buy any supplies needed to practice, and pay you for your time as well. And no I do not want references to books, or websites, etc., thanks anyway. I have little time and would rather just go somewhere to have someone show me how. Thanks for any help!

Also, can someone tell me the appx. cost to get the BASIC stuff needed to load 50 bmg?

sketch... shortcuts on reloading are a bad idea hommie. If you are interested in getting "help", then ask for help.. but you gotta do your part and your homework first, books are number 1. As far as reloading gear, check Dillons site they have a 50 specific press with all the goodies.
PS your post looks like a troll for a someone looking to find a house with a .50 in it.

I have to agree with Benihaus. Reading loading manuals, articles online and you tube videos would be a good start to learning how to reload any cartridge. To try to fast track the reloading process with any cartridge is potentially dangerous, to attempt it with the .50 BMG round is just crazy.

Depending on what kind of 50BMG you want to produce, if you're trying to do factory quantities or small runs of precision ammo, I would recommend calling Scott out at TMI50bmg.com he is not one of those people who suffers fools well, and is probably one of the toughest customers I've come across in the commercial loading world. If you want to know how to load 50BMG in any kind of quantity he is someone to talk to, honestly unless you're looking for something special, I would recommend simply buying your ammo from him.

You load it like you would any other rifle round, except the primer pockets are crimped which needs to be taken care of! Look at the lee reloading setup for the .50 it also will allow you to load other calibers. It sounds like you just got your new toy and find its pricy to load and want to do your own, I can load for about $1.10 a round which makes it very economical however my match grade rounds take a little bit more work and cost about $5 a round

Your inital cost for gear will be around 500 bucks.
And it sounds to me like you should stick with manufactued ammo until you have time to learn how to do it the right way.

Loading 50BMG is a whole other beast when it comes to the equipment. The press and dies for 50BMG are unique just to that round. You can not use the same press you make 9mm with 50BMG.

Prices range from $230 for the Lee 50BMG press kit, to $575 for the RCBS 50BMG press kit, to $1000 for the Dillon 50BMG press kit. As always, pick your poison, and jump head first.

I'm going to go against the grain here, and support the fact having a local give you instruction in person far outweighs any reloading manual or video you can watch online. I learned first hand from a friend, and feel that is the best way to get started.

I'm in on the troll looking for a house with a .50 in it.

Probably going to be hard up to find someone who reloads and is willing to let you into their home to watch.

Unless I know someone personally, a lot more than just "meeting" on an internet forum, they aren't coming in my house for any reason.

Sadly, that's just the way the world has become. A big change from when I was a kid growing up.

I think all the speculation on whether or not this guy is a troll looking for a house with a .50 in it is probably all right. He hasn't replied trying to defend his name or reputation, or lack there of...

And if he's not trolling, why in the F would anyone "cut teeth" on .50 BMG without first having a rudimentary knowledge of the reloading process, references and tools? Seems sketchy... He does know we all carry guns here, doesn't he? He should go on a fishing forum and ask someone to invite him in and teach him how to tie a fly... It would be safer!

And no I do not want references to books, or websites, etc., thanks anyway. I have little time and would rather just go somewhere to have someone show me how.
Making time and continual study are paramount for proper and safe reloading. If you cannot then reloading is NOT for you.

Or the OP could just take a shortcut and use this recipe.

750gr A-Max
4.75" OAL
#35 Primer
200gr of Norma R1

And despite what you may have read, (although not likely) you don't need a press or die set to reload this round. All private brass manufacturers are mandated to use Mil-Spec secret special brass that doesnt expand when fired so that machine gun teams can reload their brass on the spot and not have to carry extra useless ammo. Now, as fas as prepping the brass all you have to do is blow down the neck of the case with your mouth. You may be thinking, "isn't there a lot of primer pocket tension on the spent primer?" Well no. This is a special round that doesn't require primer pocket tension on the primer because the bolt hold the primer in only. If you have the desire for a little added security on primer you can add a health glob of your favorite 2 or 3 part epoxy before seating the new primer with a hammer. And as far as seating the bullet you might be looking in the case with 200gr of powder thinking, "that looks like a lot of powder and no room left for the bullet." Well think again. Like I said before this is a special round, all you need to do is set the bullet in the neck and give it a few good whacks compressing the powder as much as possible until you get an OAL of 4.755" in length. And also before you set the bullet in the neck use some of your left over epoxy in the neck to hold the bullet in there. Its an awesome load and the best thing is no press or dies required.

This load shoot sub MOA groups at 2000yds. Try it. You'll like it for sure.

[edit]
Oh and don't worry about deforming the bullet with the hammer you are using to seat it with, because this is such a high powered round aerodynamics don't even play a role in rifle rounds after you go bigger than .308WIN.
[/edit]

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR