JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The design is the main thing - the locking block of the '92 is superior to how the '94 locks up. This is why we won't see the Win/Browning Model '94s or Marlin 336 in .44 Magnum despite the better steel of today.
Winchester did indeed make a 44 Mag 94.
Decades after the Winchester 1892 was phased out, the Winchester 1894 Models were manufactured in typical revolver calibers such as .38 Special/.357 Magnum, .44 Special/.44 Magnum, .45 Colt, .38-40 Winchester, and .44-40 Winchester. Typically, the tube magazine is able to hold 9 to 13 rounds of these handgun calibers. The magazine capacity depends on the length of the barrel, as the under barrel tube magazine typically covers the entire length of the barrel.[11]

Handgun calibers are preferred by modern-day Cowboy Action Shooters as it allows one type of ammunition for both rifle and handgun. A typical combination would be an 1873 Colt (Colt Peacemaker or clone) and a Winchester 1894 capable of shooting the same type of ammunition. The 1894 action, designed for smokeless rifle rounds, is much stronger than the action of the Winchesters (Models 1866, 1873, 1876) that were based on Benjamin Henry's toggle-link system, and can easily handle modern high-pressure revolver cartridges such as the .44 Magnum.

The 1892 does not have a front (forward) locking block. It's in nearly the identical position as an 1894. But there are two. I could see how that might make a difference.
"
View attachment 1058447
View attachment 1058448
I believe it is forward of where the '94 has it's locking blocks but I am not that knowledgeable on the designs, just taking the word of the experts.

To me, the '92 locking reminds me of a "falling block" design.

Take a look at the diagrams above. The 94 is more like a falling block, but it's a thin block compared to an 1885's thick chunk of steel. The 1892 has two blocks that both half engage the bolt and the receiver. putting those blocks in shear, which indeed is very strong. Like I mentioned, I do see how it could be stronger, but some of the statements used were not entirely true. Not your words, @The Heretic and I understand that. Just being technically correct.

I think an 1892 Trapper in 44 Mag would be an easy packin thumper.
My Rossi with a 16" barrel is lighter than my Trapper, but that is because of the octagonal barrel being much heavier.

The only thing I don't like about my Trapper is the crescent buttplate. I am thinking of buying a different buttstock for it instead of cutting the current one to fit a rubber recoil pad. But since it is a safe queen...

What? Steel isn't comfortable? :s0114: :s0114:
Not as comfortable as rubber. I am kind of used to it though - having grown up with an old '94 with a similar metal butt plate (not as pronounced), although it had a much longer (26") barrel so it was heavier yet. The Trapper recoil is not bad, but I learned my lesson with metal on the rear of a buttstock; even shooting 5.56x45 it can leave a bruise on my shoulder.

Maybe one of those buttugly slip on rubber pads?
The crescent is too pronounced

cq5dam.web.835.835.jpg

Beautiful gun! That's neat.
I had a Browning B78 in 45-70 with a buttplate like that. If I held it wrong and I'd end up with what looked like doe tracks on my bicep.
I wish my wood looked that good, but yes, it is nice. I have a thing for octagonal barrels on lever actions, but I will admit the Rossi is more handy, as is my Youth Model 336 in .30-30. The Win Trapper Takedown is too nice to be banging around in a truck.

I wish my wood looked that good, but yes, it is nice. I have a thing for octagonal barrels on lever actions, but I will admit the Rossi is more handy, as is my Youth Model 336 in .30-30. The Win Trapper Takedown is too nice to be banging around in a truck.
Understand completely.
I bought a sweet, rare, first year Remington 600. I really want to hunt with it, but it's PERFECT! I hate safe Queens, but I wanted one of these since I was a kid. If I'm going to have one safe queen, might as well be that one!

The design is the main thing - the locking block of the '92 is superior to how the '94 locks up.
No it isn't.
The Winchester 92 and 94 are essentially the same gun in different sizes.
The twin locking block design was Winchester's solution to the issue of cartridges of increasing power.
It replaced the toggle link that was the only "lock" for the bolt, going back to the original Volcanic handgun.
However the locking blocks are all towards the rear of the bolt, since that worked with the swing of the lever (and now you know what that bulge towards the rear of the receiver is all about, on some of the later Winchester 94 AE's. It was extra beef to reinforce the area the locking bolts worked in).
At the time, this was thought to be sufficient, but as time went on, it was realized the best location for locking lugs was at the HEAD of the bolt (an innovation of The Mauser brothers, with their amazing string of bolt rifles).
The only lever gun I know of, where the bolt locks at the front, is a BLR.

Last Edited:
No it isn't.
The Winchester 92 and 94 are essentially the same gun in different sizes.
The twin locking block design was Winchester's solution to the issue of cartridges of increasing power.
It replaced the toggle link that was the only "lock" for the bolt, going back to the original Volcanic handgun.
However the locking blocks are all towards the rear of the bolt, since that worked with the swing of the lever (and now you know what that bulge towards the rear of the receiver is all about, on some of the later Winchester 94 AE's. It was extra beef to reinforce the area the locking bolts worked in).
At the time, this was thought to be sufficient, but as time went on, it was realized the best location for locking lugs was at the HEAD of the bolt (an innovation of The Mauser brothers, with their amazing string of bolt rifles).
The only lever gun I know of, where the bolt locks at the front, is a BLR.

How quickly we forget the Red Ryd-AR Lever-Action AR-15 :s0062:

Red Ryd-AR

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews