JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One more time - two Winchesters 67 years apart!
W.jpg

I'm slowing down. Although I try to shoot every week, the Winchester Trapper .30-30 hasn't been shot in over ten years. Same with the Ruger 96 in .22 Mag. And the Marlin .357? I think maybe I shot it once when I bought it a few years back, but never since.:confused:
View attachment 449696
399380-dcf5fb4673d301e608c9e294f6d728b8.jpg

Here's a couple more. A 336SS in .30-30, and a 1894CSBL in .357. As gorgeous as the blued guns are, I never shoot them, but the stainless guns are shot regularly.:cool:

P1010838.jpg
P1020056.jpg

Yepa, Yepa, That's an example of the Best of the Best of the Winchester line. And when they chambered it in the Second .30 Gov(.30-06) they simply went from Very Good to GREAT!!!
That would be the Third .30 Gov't. The Second would be the "30-03". In the late 90's I was eyeing two guns to buy for my birthday present to myself. One was a Winchester 1895 in 30-03 and the other a 1967 Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Mag, both priced at $350. The Ruger made the trip home with me and was cherished for several years before being passed along to a friend, but I always had a little regret for not bringing the 1895 home. Yah, check values on a 30-03 1895 and you'll see one of the reasons for my regret!
My little daughter's Daisy Red Ryder. :D

View attachment 659503
We have two. On one I shortened the butt about 3" so my then small grandson could shoulder it properly. The cocking is the toughest part for the kids.

There's a very soft spot in my heart (head?) for one Winchester Model 1894. There's a thread about it in the Lever Action section I started when I dug it out and began playing with it again after many years of non use.
After I started that thread I was informed of a discrepancy in Winchester serial number lists and found it was actually made in 1917. It's the first "big gun" I ever shot or hunted with. It's going to get shot again tomorrow when we check sight in for next month's deer season. I will have it in my lap when I am sitting in my treestand this year.
20200420_175923.jpg 20200418_200721.jpg

I also have a Winchester 94 made in 80 that I picked up for my grandson a few years back. He's not shot it yet, but he's shot this Savage 99 in 243 and that's what I'll carry (or what his grandma will carry) when mentoring him this season. It's actually her (Grandma) rifle she's had since childhood. The butt has been shortened so it fits and it doesn't kick hard. The scope is an old Vari-X II 3-9x40 in Weaver mounts.
Lindas 243.jpeg
We also have a Henry. I originally bought it for Mom and "borrowed" the scope off of the above 243, a Redfield 2 3/4. This pic is 5 years ago and his first time shooting a "real" gun. This rifle has been flawless in operation and reasonably accurate. The second pic shows offhand at 20 yards, with me shooting in a hurry.
shooting.jpg office.jpg

My 1894 Marlin Deluxe rifle in .25-20M, with numerous special order features. Built in 1905.

kFj2rUNl.jpg

Someone had blued over the receiver in the past. I planned to have Al Springer color case the receiver to bring it back to original look. But when I used rust remover to strip the bluing, I discovered it still had some case colors on the receiver and lever. So I just reassembled the gun, and left it alone.

9DUqtngl.jpg

7IWTsIll.jpg

SVY5dgDl.jpg

I prefer unrestored old guns, so it's perfect to my eyes now.

There's a very soft spot in my heart (head?) for one Winchester Model 1894. There's a thread about it in the Lever Action section I started when I dug it out and began playing with it again after many years of non use.
After I started that thread I was informed of a discrepancy in Winchester serial number lists and found it was actually made in 1917. It's the first "big gun" I ever shot or hunted with. It's going to get shot again tomorrow when we check sight in for next month's deer season. I will have it in my lap when I am sitting in my treestand this year.
View attachment 751711View attachment 751712

I also have a Winchester 94 made in 80 that I picked up for my grandson a few years back. He's not shot it yet, but he's shot this Savage 99 in 243 and that's what I'll carry (or what his grandma will carry) when mentoring him this season. It's actually her (Grandma) rifle she's had since childhood. The butt has been shortened so it fits and it doesn't kick hard. The scope is an old Vari-X II 3-9x40 in Weaver mounts.
View attachment 751713
We also have a Henry. I originally bought it for Mom and "borrowed" the scope off of the above 243, a Redfield 2 3/4. This pic is 5 years ago and his first time shooting a "real" gun. This rifle has been flawless in operation and reasonably accurate. The second pic shows offhand at 20 yards, with me shooting in a hurry.
View attachment 751714View attachment 751716
Would you happen to have a link for that corrected serial # list?

Dean

20200919_165052.jpg

left to right....
2011 Marlin 1895SBL made into a WWG Co-Pilot take down
1970 Marlin 39D 22 LR
1976 Marlin 1894 44 Mag
2003 Marlin 336W 30-30
1950 Marlin 336A 35 Rem
1947 Savage 99 300Sav

View attachment 751711View attachment 751712

View attachment 751713
View attachment 751714View attachment 751716
I really hope that little guy in Blue is wearing a good set of ear plugs and that he isn't shooting without eye protection???

What is your Dad's gun?
This 94 lever action.....

Winchester_Model1894_Dad_01.jpg

...the list I've always used is this one, but I've been told that it may use the "guesstimated" dates, so it might not be accurate.
I believe the list you linked to draws my list as its source, so yours may not be accurate either.
I was hoping you had a link to the actual manufacturing records, which are apparently kept at the Cody Firearm Museum these days.
Thanks anyway.

Dean

Last Edited:
Bought this JM 336 a few years ago at a pawn shop in need of rebluing. Also discovered a split in the buttstock under the tang, which probably could've been glued but I replaced the stock anyway. Took it into Guncrafters in Salem to have it blues and they talked me into parkerizing it. I also put an XS ghost ring sight on it. 1601265601483.jpeg

Nice!
Who made the sling and the ammo pouch?

Dean
Thanks Dean,
The ammo pouch is made by Cashel. I bought it on Amazon but they don't have this tan one on there anymore. The sling I don't remember what brand it is, but it's just a blond leather, basket weave type. I took it out of the safe to look for a brand and couldn't find one on it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top