JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Could be us but free hand standing .
Not in a brace .
At least 15 shots between us.
I was having the same problem with my stock iron sights on my Henry I was shooting High. don't know if it was the sights or me just shooting like crap but I have read reviews on my rifle anyway that the sights Shanghai so that's why I decided to upgrade to peep sights

@EPS

I understand your question. The notches are just a quick adjustment, peculiar only to your gun and whatever load you're shooting. One gun may be dead on with the sight at the lowest notch, where the next similar gun and load might be right on at a different notch. They are not obviously regulated to a given distance, but you may discover for example, going up one notch raises the point of impact 4 inches, at a given distance.

Remember, depending on which model of 94 you have, you likely can fine tune the sight blade by loosening the tiny little screws and sliding the blade up or down as needed.

And further, I've seen this many times, there is just sometimes not enough adjustment in the rear sight to match the point of aim to the point of impact. Tailoring loads can sometimes overcome the difference, but otherwise, it sometimes just takes an additional adjustment by installing a higher or lower front sight.

Very recently, I was shooting a new Rossi lever action. Even with the rear sight as far as it would go down, and the little notched insert completely removed and the sight resting on the barrel, it shot so high the sight was absolutely not usable. It's just the luck of the beast sometimes. Then again the answer is a different height front sight, or a complete replacement of a different style rear sight.
Thanks I don't want to mess with the sights.
Other than up or down on the Original.sight.
I will try different loads .
First.

Seems EPS is learning the true meaning of "Minute of Deer accuracy" ( ;) ).
It also might behoove you to sit that gun in a rest and see where it's actually shooting.
While Wayno sez a lot of truth in his response, it could also be an indication of a slightly warped barrel.
If it were me, I'd set it on a rest and pop off about 5 rounds of the same ammo you were using the other day and let the target tell you what's going on, before I did anything else.

Dean

We used the same ammo .
FWIW The Rear Sight on ANY Rifle is what controls Evelation and Windage. So with the Sights at it's lowest point, you will be shooting as low as possible.

Find your self and place where you can Bench Rest with good Sand Bags. Take a large piece of paper/target and place it at 25 yards. Fire 3 rounds at the target using the same Sight Picture each time. Firing 3 rounds at a time, Adjust the Sight until you can hit the Bullseye. Once you are Centered on that Target, place a new Target at 100 yards and fire 3 rounds. You should be VERY close to Zeroed.

With a .30-30 you will be Good -To-Go out to 150 yards.

EPS, did you say it was hitting high, *and* low with the sight all the way down?!
Well it was all the way down and at 75 yards it was low.
Then move it up one notch and it was high .
I was just wondering if the sight notches where set at say 100 150 200 .
Or something like that .
Or do you just have to figure out each gun different.

This is what we were shooting at .
From 75 yards I think it's 12 inch steal target.
And when I say high or low I mean complete miss low or complete miss high . IMG_20190402_172332.jpg

EPS;

One Notch Up or Down should not make 6" worth of change. Are you Shooting from an Unsupported Off Hand Position or what?

How about showing a couple of pictures of the Sights - both Front and Back? Also how about you make a drawing of the Sight Picture that you are using?

As I said earlier, you Really need to be Shooting off the Bench using Sand Bags etc.

KKG

Well it was all the way down and at 75 yards it was low.
Then move it up one notch and it was high .
I was just wondering if the sight notches where set at say 100 150 200 .
Or something like that .
Or do you just have to figure out each gun different.
You have to figure each gun out different.
The notches don't have any assigned distance....it's not a Mauser.
I've heard of guys filing down the bottom of the notch a little, to fine tune where the gun hits...or you can loosen those little screws on the rear sight, too.
I'm pretty sure you were shooting off-hand during that shoot. To properly set the sights, you really need to have the gun on a rest.
You can use anything. If you have proper shooting rests, that's great, but two short stacks of encyclopedia's can work, too (make sure the top book on the front stack is opened to the middle of the book. That'll help keep you steady).

Dean

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads