JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good morning all,
I went to combo training on June 22 and I'm impressed. Steve are very knowledgeable and passionate teacher. Through the class Steve was like guided missile he see, indicate and teach you how to become more comfortable and efficient with your firearm. He will criticize you gear if he sees it causing safety or problem with gun manipulation and etc. Or if you ask him his opinion on your gear. So DONT be butt hurt it is for your own good!!!
Before class as self taught through reading and watching I tough that I can/know how to use manipulate my firearms efficiently. But after class and enormous information/hands on traning. I know know that my knowledge was as much as couch commando.

Now I will give you tips if you going there

First of all: Please if you can come over with clean slate of mind and prepare to learn.
Second: if you drive from Seattle are don't listen your gps for shortest route. Don't take left turn from HWY 97 to Box Canyon Rd, you will end up on really BAD dirt road for 8 miles. Instead of that drive to Goldendale and take right turn on Bickleton HWY.
Third: It's getting windy there so lightweight windbreaker is preferable.Don't forget sunblock and my own advice don't forget to apply to your EARS!!!
Get a lot of water.

Range

9B0A5A9A-473C-477E-8F42-721BAC36E899.png

Rifle shooting from low ready position 3 to 15 yards on the beep. Small target to learn how rifle shoot regarding your sights and point of aim from 3 to 15 yards.

16088656-5C6E-4BB2-8B2A-4B2A5DE72AD8.jpeg

Glad you enjoyed and benefitted from the class. I'm going in August and looking forward to it.
I almost can'cd it because of money concerns (we're temporarily down to one income... mine) but my GF said, "Don't you dare. You NEED this. Go shoot stuff w your imaginary friends (what she calls my gun-forum buds)".
I agree... I need this.

Last Edited:
I also enjoyed the "Run The Gun" class during the Pacific Northwest AK shoot. Went in expecting "run and gun" stuff, but ended up receiving a much more valuable focus on stance and weapons manipulation. A lot of the material stuck with me and I am much smoother with my AKs as a result.

So, I attended the Combination Rifle/Pistol "Run The Gun" class with Cerebus on Friday 08/03.

@kukusya - I agree with your assessments. Steve is VERY knowledgeable having served in Law Enforcement for more than 20 years, including as a Trainer, and having survived multiple "real world" gun fights.

He uses his experience to help students develop the skills required to react quickly and efficiently when it counts. We began with basic drills to 1) understand how to overcome current bad habits, and 2) how to put shots on target quickly, efficiently, and under stress.

I learned many new skills and techniques that I will be practicing (eyes on target, bring the sights to your eyes, proper draw and target acquisition, tactical reloads, and many more). I also uncovered several weaknesses in my equipment and myself, that I will be working to address (including adding a B.A.D. lever to my AR).

I was quite satisfied with the course, Steve's instruction, and my performance. I was FAR from perfect, and was there to learn and grow - and I did!

I drove over 3 hours each way, and paid for a night in a motel for the class, and it was worth it.

I hope to attend some future classes with Cerebus as well.

Thanks.

Great class, highly recommended.

30+ year old military training with nothing but static paper-punching between then and now leaves a lot of time and space for bad habits to take root and general spazziness to settle-in.

Steve takes a very pragmatic approach to gun handling, aka: running the gun. Nothing to be mastered in a single day, but lessons learned that can be taken away and practiced to develop the subconscious.

Learn the steps, practice the steps, drill, repeat as necessary.

Getting a good look at the areas I need to focus on (pretty much all of them) was worth every penny and then some... top notch "customer service" :s0090:

Like Patrick mentioned, I'll also be adding a couple of BAD levers very soon... thought it was a gimmick, but I've seen how useful it can be.

Last Edited:
Was jealous. I couldn't get out of work (only 2 of us). Hopefully there can be classes on the front half of the week some time.

Great to hear everyone was happy and learned. This group is very skeptical so to get a thumbs up means something was done right.

Last Edited:
I took the 1 day rifle 1 day pistol classes on Aug 4-5. Weather was great w a lot of sunshine. I was the one in the group with little previous experience so I am sure I was doing all the wrong things but thought that Steve's training and methods were spot on. There is a lot of things for me to work on but now I have a path to being a better shooter.

Steve has a large history of being a trainer's trainer and of being respected across his industry. He was non-confrontational and worked to make you work with your weapon of choice. He wasn't one to criticize your choice but was there to help you get the most out of the one you use.

So I know I need to work on my grip, trigger press, my speed(too much!), and point of aim.....yeah, pretty much everything!

The weekend was fun, made new friends and learned new things. Hope the "old dog" adage is wrong!

Thank you Steve

I took the 1 day rifle 1 day pistol classes on Aug 4-5. Weather was great w a lot of sunshine. I was the one in the group with little previous experience so I am sure I was doing all the wrong things but thought that Steve's training and methods were spot on. There is a lot of things for me to work on but now I have a path to being a better shooter.

Steve has a large history of being a trainer's trainer and of being respected across his industry. He was non-confrontational and worked to make you work with your weapon of choice. He wasn't one to criticize your choice but was there to help you get the most out of the one you use.

So I know I need to work on my grip, trigger press, my speed(too much!), and point of aim.....yeah, pretty much everything!

The weekend was fun, made new friends and learned new things. Hope the "old dog" adage is wrong!

Thank you Steve

I need to work with multiple targets since all my shots were high. I need to slow down and take my time and then speed up when I can hit the 6" circle. I really enjoyed the failure drill with dummy and also the double feed. I am going to order some dummy rounds and practice my failure drills.

Thank you again for the "Run the Gun" class Steve.

Thank you Steve
@Cerberus Group did a great job. I'm ticked at myself for not doing a better job of tightening my grip until the end of the day. At least I made my "Chuck Mag Dump" drill count :s0010:

I took the 1 day rifle 1 day pistol classes...
If Steve is nice enough to offer this NWFA Special again next year, I plan on taking the two-day class.

I'm actually glad I didn't (go two days) this time around... my "skills" were deteriorated to the point of being nonexistent and two full days of instruction probably would have caused an overload of information, much of which wouldn't have "stuck". As it is, I got some pretty solid items to work with, experience w the facility and class, and how to better prepare for a more comprehensive course next time. I can work on shooting skills now instead of trying to anticipate what might break (I brought 3 backup pistols, 2 extra BUIS, tools, etc... just way too much sh*t), how the course of fire will lay out, what kind of gear to bring (EDC or tacticool?*), etc, yet... failed to properly zero the long gun(s) before I went. Dopey. I don't use an AR for HD so the 3-9x40 scope was the WRONG optic, especially considering the distances we shot at... my initial 2" circles were a disaster... :s0123: For the rest of the shot-timer drills... just guessing. :s0100:

*I went w my EDC P99c, but in an unfamiliar leather Macsh OWB holster with an equally unfamiliar leather mag carrier. I swapped to a trusted Zoglojne holster about halfway through, which provided a "combat" grip that the Macsh did not... pretty, but not practical, and also not daily carry stuff. I think "as close to" EDC gear as you can get away with would be the most beneficial to non-LEO students who don't wear a duty belt, etc... "train as you fight..."

Last Edited:
Wow, thanks for all the trust and compliments.

It was a great weekend, and all worked and trained hard at the concepts I was teaching. I saw a lot of "getting it" and understanding throughout the time together. No one quit, even in a bit of heat we had...everyone had some great life stories to share.

Loved the comradery that evolved and the friendships gained.

Hope to see you all back out here again, either in a class or passing through. Anyone that trains with me has lifelong access to the range, no charge. Just let me know when you'll be coming through, sign the waiver and the range is yours. If you need some help with anything in the future, y'all know how to contact me.

Am glad to have met you and be your imaginary friend!
Same here.

On your recommendation I've added an ABR (Ambidextrous Bolt Release). I went w a Troy piece over the MagPul BAD lever... the same thing only different. So far I'm finding it advantageous with no real downside apart from the subconscious manipulation aspect... easily drilled-out.

I'll probably order a couple more for the other carbines once I get totally familiar w it. Appreciate the tip!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top