JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Those youtube guys better lose the videos then :D
Only if they did it after the new letter came out.

This should be interesting.

I had a feeling that somebody in gov would put their foot down on this, and apparently they are trying to. What I expected was a new law, not a contradiction like this.

It isn't a big deal to me at this point, because I don't have one (yes, I know - it affects everyone in general) and I am a fan of bullpups instead of SBRs. My most likely use of an AR pistol as a rifle would be to put a legal barrel on it and a shoulder stock, converting it back and forth. But since DT is going to be making the SBR, I have changed my plans and I will go with the MDR bullpup instead.

Just the same, as I said, this will be interesting to see how it plays out. I would not be surprised to see SIG to go to court over this.

I doubt SIG themselves will be in court over this. As described in the latest letter, it's when used as a shoulder stock (and not in compliance with manufacturer directions as a wrist support) that makes it an SBR. When used as directed by SIG its not an issue and is ok. It's just when shouldered that it's in violation per the latest ruling.

When the BATF issues such a letter, it is considered a ruling that has the force of law.

I dont buy that, It is an opinion issued by a single representative. A case like this where there are conflicting opinion letters shows that quite well. Until someone is charged and a president set we are all just running scared and just hope that we are not the one made an example out of. I can quote the letter that clearly states that misusing the SIG brace does not turn it into a NFA weapon. Its perfectly clear and specific.

No matter what the ATF thinks, A court of law may think different, and until that court case is ruled on its a crap shoot.

Not to say I think the letters should be taken lightly. They scare the bejesus outta me. Matter of fact until there is some sort of definitive answer I am likely just to go pull the SIG braces off my pistols and I wont be taking them to the range and shooting them like I have been. I hate to feel that way but I am not one of those cavalier throw it in there face types. When It comes to 99% of things, I am not to concerned with interaction with Law enforcement. I am a upstanding tax payer doing nothing wrong and figure I will be given the benefit of the doubt. When it comes to firearms though I toe the line and stay away from anything questionable. You wont find any bits that are questionable (things like short AR barrels that are not built, M16 parts, "solvent traps" or anything of that nature) at my place. In my mind I have way to much to lose to mess with such things when there is really no value to having any of it.

I own two of them, They are both marked "pistol" on the lower.

I felt pretty secure misusing them based on this letter S72-LEGAL-B1404030900021-640x828.jpg

Last Edited:
Sounds like Earl Griffith and Max Kingery should get on the same page. Perhaps they were the ones deciding the legality of Fast and Furious as well.

One thing you have to remember through all this. The BATF is an elite force of the best and most brilliant minds the government can assemble, minds that once declared that a shoe string was in fact a machine gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top