JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I'd like to try one of these out but I don't want to spend a ton initially because if I don't like it it'll just sit in the closet...
I have a Springfield armory XD 9mm full size which I think is the 5.25-in barrel... what would you recommend just strictly on a trial basis let's say $40 or less?

Your not going to find anything even remotely decent for that price, plan to spend over $100 for a basic shoulder holster/rig!
I have had some rigs that cost $300+ and others for around $150, and they all have their plus's and minuses! My Current AlienGear Shapeshifter is the best I have had, super comfy, completely adjustable, and capable of holding my HEAVY pistol and spare mags easy!

I've used several leather shoulder holsters in the past. Galco/ Jackass, Bianchi, Mitch Rosen, Anderson. Indeed each has pluses and minuses.

Have you considered a kydex "chest holster?" For open carry hiking, it might be more comfortable than stuck under your armpit all day. Plus Reholstering could be done potentially safer than horizonal under the arm. Same goes for if you snag up on something in the brush.

If all you want is a trial run, I recommend EBay for a used Bianchi X series shoulder holster. It carries under the arm but muzzle down. The universal fit comes from a leather covered spring steel body that hugs whatever you can fit in it, from auto to revolver. You should be able to find one super cheap. Of course, shoulder holsters do "demand" prudent practice with an unloaded weapon, as your muzzle does tend to hover at your arms and ribs both coming out and going back.

Quilted holster or leather? Do you want to carry the pistol horizontal or vertical? If you get one that also attaches to your belt on both sides then it will pull your belt up any time you stretch or bend over.

If you only need it once in a while get a quilted one, $50+. They are all around the internet. A nicer one would be in leather. Look to see what the crossover on your back will look like. Some will be a 4 way and the joint will pivot as you move, but that's not most of them.

One of the many searched that will drive you crazy as you search and compare brands and styles.

Been searching for one of these off and on about 5 years now. Just never could take out the old card and pay for one. Shoulder holsters now remind me of certain types of women who look really good but just don't fit every occasion. Sorry, no snark intended .... :rolleyes:

I always wanted that classic upside side down under the armpit holster that Steve McQueen wore in the movie Bullitt, until I read this article about it.

index.jpg bullitt.jpg

Don't think you will find anything worth a s... new for anywhere near $40.. Check the pawn shops and gun shows for used rigs. One of the problems with choosing a shoulder rig is all the different types. That and the time it takes to adjust it to your liking.

Bought mine from www.andrewscustomleather.com out of Florida. What I like out of mine is that there is a strap that runs form the holster across my back to the magazine holsters. When I draw my weapon it does not pull my holster forward so I get only pistol (G45). Don't wear it often but there are times when it is more comfortable than having a full sized holster on my belt (driving or in a suit etc)

Oh good grief, if OP wants something to try just to see if he can tolerate it, why buy a fancy rig???

I used to have a leather shoulder rig for my .45 Govt, but for my G19, my SR9c, and the wife's Taurus 605, I have successfully used Uncle Mikes nylon shoulder holsters while camping and hunting. They are comfy, And good enough for occasional usage. If I wear one out, they are only $35-$48 to replace.

er-holster-black-right-hand-3-4in-bbl-medium-autos.jpg

Size 3 is for full size autos in the 4.5" to 6" range. Sidekick Vertical Shoulder Holster

If OP finds OP likes shoulder holster carry, OP can dump this one into a box/drawer and get a higher quality holster.

Last Edited:
Oh good grief, if OP wants something to try just to see if he can tolerate it, why buy a fancy rig???

I used to have a leather shoulder rig for my .45 Govt, but for my G19, my SR9c, and the wife's Taurus 605, I have successfully used Uncle Mikes nylon shoulder holsters while camping and hunting. They are comfy, And good enough for occasional usage. If I wear one out, the are only $35-$48 to replace.

View attachment 753993

Size 3 is for full size autos in the 4.5" to 6" range. Sidekick Vertical Shoulder Holster

If OP finds OP likes shoulder holster carry, OP can dump this one into a box/drawer and get a higher quality holster.
Take it easy. I agreed with you above. I totally agree that he should go simple first.

I used to have a leather shoulder rig for my .45 Govt, but for my G19, my SR9c, and the wife's Taurus 605, I have successfully used Uncle Mikes nylon shoulder holsters while camping and hunting. They are comfy, And good enough for occasional usage. If I wear one out, the are only $35-$48 to replace.

View attachment 753993

If I select weapon 4 1/2 for large automatic, only size 5 is in stock.
Here is another inexpensive one: Elite HN45 BL

1600991052557.png

If I select weapon 4 1/2 for large automatic, only size 5 is in stock.

These are easy enough to find... all the major stores and many of the LGS carry Uncle Mike's as a staple product. My local Bi-Mart has a bunch. But if you Google "Uncle Mike's shoulder holsters" you will get a bunch of links to a bunch of sources. Might even find one on Amazon.

The other rig you showed looks a little stiff, and I can't see what the straps look like. But I do like the fully covered gun bucket if carrying in the woods w/o a jacket on... protect the weapon/trigger.

I have seen some chest rigs for hunting/driving and I really like that idea too.

I had a hard time finding a good quality Lefty horizontal shoulder holster for my full size CZ75-B I ended up finding one I liked from Craft Holsters. It is very high quality lined leather horizontal with a thumb break and a double 16 round mag holder on the opposing side.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top