JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Guns in the safe.

Ammo in a different safe on a different floor.

Magazines tossed in a large box in no specific order in the top of the closet.

That's the one way to guarantee the gun doesn't load it's self and shoot some innocent person or child.:rolleyes:

I'm actually very well covered and this comes up about once a month or so - I'm just choosing not to go thru my list again:p.

If someone really wants to know though, feel free to break in at 2am;)

So My question to you is , How are you going to confront an Intruder and verify its not a "Friendly" without giving away your location at some point ?

I will try my damndest to see the threat first then blind it with the weapons light (if of course it is dark) then asses their intentions.
I'm sayin that I do not alert my presence first.
I'm glad your method worked for you, really I am. I just have different tactics.

I get the thunder pharts at night because of my super healthy diet so that will either:

Scare someone away.

Give away my location (I only have one hallway upstairs anyway so whatever).

Cause someone to laugh so I know where they are located;).

Eat lots of fiber and protein for your safety.

I wake up and become fully sensible instantly on hearing any noise. My choice is to keep my loaded home defense gun within reach of my bed and in condition 1. However, I've read that some people wake up slow and are a bit befuddled for a few seconds after waking, and that such people should keep their gun far enough from their bed so that they will be fully awake by the time they get to it. Perhaps needing to rack a slide might also be best for these folks. I can see that the optimal strategy might be different for people who wake up differently.

And what about people who sleep walk, and could act out dreams? Would having a gun accessible when sleeping be workable at all?

I wake up and become fully sensible instantly on hearing any noise. My choice is to keep my loaded home defense gun within reach of my bed and in condition 1. However, I've read that some people wake up slow and are a bit befuddled for a few seconds after waking, and that such people should keep their gun far enough from their bed so that they will be fully awake by the time they get to it. Perhaps needing to rack a slide might also be best for these folks. I can see that the optimal strategy might be different for people who wake up differently.

And what about people who sleep walk, and could act out dreams? Would having a gun accessible when sleeping be workable at all?
I'm glad you brought that up !

Relying on "scary" sounds to deter a bad guy is about as effective as cleaning a rifle after every shot.

:D

I clean my gun quite often or it gets pretty scary... :eek:

How you store your house gun , is up to you...what works for one person , may not for someone else.
It is not my place to tell anyone just what or how , to do things in their house.

Much too sensible... stop it!!

I get the thunder pharts at night because of my super healthy diet so that will either:

Scare someone away.

I woke myself up two nights ago. Thought the house was under attack and I was reachin for the nightstand gun!! :oops:

Scare someone away.

Boy I hope you keep matches and lighters away from the thunder zone!... Thanks for the good chuckle!

I keep some lights on around the house.

This MT house is much, much smaller and it is all on one floor compared to my former big house back east.

I never had children. No children visit us. Children should be taught about specific matters including gun safety rules in my opinion. PLUS DO NOT TOUCH THINGS that you were told not to touch. Like hot stoves and other things not just guns.

Funny on how things USED TO BE compared to now when it comes to children, their friends and even as young adults.

So if I had kids, I would lock the guns up, but I would still want to be able to get to one gun to defend those kids and even my late husband if I was a younger lady.

The few close friends that visit us are usually armed. We do not have a lot of company.

So do I keep what I shoot NOW loaded in the house? YES!

Why would I have a self defense firearm not ready to use so I could DEFEND myself even if what I use NOW is different compared to what I used to own and shoot?!

I believe that people with a disability, some old age or old accident issues and at an older age (68) should be able to defend themselves even if they have to change their firearms.

They should still be able to shoot safely and hit their target. They should keep up their basic skills. They should NOT be on strong Big Pharma Rx meds that will screw up their reactions or thought process.

This CZ 455 LUX bolt action rifle gets loaded and I have a few extra magazines.

CZ 455 Lux - Discontinued 2018 - CZ-USA

^^^

Edited: I put up the wrong link. Apologies. Here is my CZ 455 Lux link.

I keep a cup of ammunition handy as I did with my former guns so I don't have to fumble with a box. The ammo gets rotated - same as I used to do in the past.

The CZ 455 Lux rifle gets unloaded and locked up when I leave the house unless I take it with me and it is under my control and eyes. (I did this with my former firearms too.)

I keep a fixed blade knife by my bed and some FB knives around the house. Eyeglasses are always ON me unless I am resting or sleeping and they are within my reach. Flashlights are handy to get to if the power goes out too.

My MT husband uses both pocket knives and fixed blade knives. I only use FB knives due to my hand arthritis and old accident issues. So his knives are handy to get to and one knife is always by his bed too. He has his pistol ON his body unless he is sleeping. One is by his bed. Extra ammo too. The only time that he does not carry concealed or open is where it is not LEGAL. He carries a Glock and his spare magazines are handy too.

Cate
PS: We just renewed our range membership and took the annual test. I am going to use ICE CLEATS so I can get out to the range for my 'keeping up my skills' deal with my husband. He goes in all kinds of weather but I do not go when it is bitter cold out like he does. I used to though!

Edited: My CZ 455 Lux link was pasted/posted wrong.

Last Edited:
I keep my pistol with round in the chamber. Looking at condition ratings it is "condition 0" since my striker fire pistol does not have a safety. If carry a pistol with a safety the chamber is loaded but hammer is down and safety on which is "condition 2". My AR I keep magazine inserted but empty chamber which would be "condition 3".

I read this article a few years back which what used to state my firearm's conditions.

Firearm Condition Readiness: Condition 0, Condition 1, Condition 2, Condition 3, Condition 4 — What Do They All Mean?

When there were super strong winds the garage entry door popped open and the burglar alarm went off. I instantly woke up, put on my gun mufflers, and put a round in the chamber of my AR.

We have a small herd of dogs that light up very reliably when our driveway beeper goes off....even we're in the other end of the house. There are "several" firearms in the home. On the rare occasion when I and my wife are both out of the house, or when company is expected, I CCW and the home defense guns get cleared and go to the safe. Always loaded and ready, normally.

Frank Eaton, (1860-1958) was a legendary 19th century scout, Indian fighter, cowboy and finally, author. He avenged 5 of the 6 ex-Confederate soldiers who murdered his father in cold blood. Someone else got the 6th. He is the inspiration for Pistol Pete, the (still!) symbol and mascot of the Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology. An utterly amazing individual and an amazing life.

His most famous quote was "I'd rather have a pocket of rocks than an unloaded gun."

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 11.26.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 11.26.38 AM.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top