Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Should you mix JHP & FMJ ammo in the same mag?

DB Wesner

Reactions
OK, So I was at the range a few weeks back and overheard a convo about how a guy fills his mags with both JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) & FMJ (Full Metal Jacket). His premise was that if he needed more penetration he's have it on hand as he stacked his mags with alternating ammo types.

I have my own opinion on this, but curious what others might say.

Reno

Reactions
I guess it’s along the same thinking of having birdshot in the tube, followed by buckshot then slugs.

Joe13

Reactions
You could but I don't.

I do keep a glock happy stick next to my house pistol with 124g FMJ in it as well as a spare 17 round with HP's.

I figure if I've gone thru 17 rounds of hp's then I probably will be shootings thru something - hopefully not.

Kruel J

Reactions
Absolutely. I will stagger ball and JHP just to keep them guessing as to what's coming next.
You think "they" will be able to tell? :rolleyes:

No, I don't mix ammo. For no other reason then FMJ is for the range and HP's are for SD. FMJ's over-penetrate and I don't want to risk collateral damage.

Reactions
I heard that advice when I carried a 380 pistol, "candy cane" load, but think it is a bad idea. Different ammo may have a different point of impact out of your gun. I favor shot placement over penetration. There are a lot of barrier blind defensive ammunition choices out there such as Critical Duty or Extreme Defender. Choose one and stick with it.

Kruel J

Reactions
Curious, why do people feel they need to mix in FMJ's for a defensive situation? I'd like to see examples of where body armor was used because I can't remember hearing of it being used during a SD situation.

Kruel J

Reactions
I've been hearing reports from buddies in San Antonio that Texas has been having some armed home-invasion crews start wearing vests.

Hence my embrace of Mk 262 for AR pistols...
I suppose that's just one more argument for head shots. Not that head shots needed any more argument. :D

Kruel J

Reactions
Mozambique, not just a place in Africa... :D Mk 262 77-gr OTM will penetrate soft armor, Mk 262 in the snotlocker and "Say Goodnight Gracie."
Are people even using soft armor anymore? I know LEO does merely for the sake of all day comfort, but "bullet proof vests" are about as retro as acid washed jeans these days. :D

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Northwest Arsenal
    4.00 star(s)
    I have been there at least a couples times. We popped in today to see if the had a PS90. They...
    • CountryGent
  • Sunset Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy. I've done multiple private transfers over several years. Knowledgeable and thorough.
    • markebrit
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've done many transfers with these guys. They know their stuff, they're very approachable and...
    • Art_Vandelay
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've always felt comfortable at J&B, first time I ever went there I walked out with a new Glock...
    • Zapata47
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Maybe I'm biased since I live 5 minutes away, but Peter and his crew have always been friendly...
    • Zapata47