JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's Why U.S. Special Forces Want Russian Machine Guns

USSOCOM also emphasizes that foreign weapons must be strictly made in America. Manufacturers "will employ only domestic labor, acquire domestically produced material and parts, and ensure weapon manufacture and assembly in domestic facilities."

Though USSOCOM is starting with a pair of Russian machine guns, the research proposal speaks of foreign-made weapons in general. "Developing a domestic production capability for foreign-like weapons addresses these issues while being cost effective as well as strengthens the nation's military-industrial complex, ensures a reliable and secure supply chain, and reduces acquisition lead times."

Well, why not? Those Rooskies know a thing or three about firearms. This would save big on research and development dollars. Bet ya there is some redneck somewhere in Alabama who has already built one of those machine guns and keeps it in his shed...just in case. If Bubba can do it the whole USA military/industrial complex can figure it out too. BTW-nice article. Thanks.

Umm... I don't really see what the issue is here. USSOCOM has always had an interest and a supply chain for foreign weapons and ammunition that are supplied to allies in countries where these systems are the norm. The SBIR grant system isn't necessarily a bad one, however chances are good there will never be enough production demand to support their requirements. It would be much better to work with domestic suppliers of foreign sourced components, however current US importation law makes this kind of thing difficult (think the Clinton AWB of 1994.) even with the dispensation for supplying the US military, this is still no easy feat, as state department gets involved and causes headaches.

In general, I'm highly amused at the idea of a North Korean PKM being refitted with a US-made bolt carrier group and feed tray.

What would likely be a better solution, would be modifying US weapons to take advantage of existing stocks of domestic ammunition in these countries. A US-made M4 firing 5.45mm, or a 249 refitted to use 7.62x39, or a Mk48 shooting 7.62x54.

There's a balancing act to walk here, once the US starts shipping replacement parts, god only knows where they'll end up. Will a batch of replacement parts for peshmerga AK's end up in the hands of ISIS? Even then, if we provide them with russian made parts, who knows if they won't end up in the same place.

Well, why not? Those Rooskies know a thing or three about firearms. This would save big on research and development dollars. Bet ya there is some redneck somewhere in Alabama who has already built one of those machine guns and keeps it in his shed...just in case. If Bubba can do it the whole USA military/industrial complex can figure it out too. BTW-nice article. Thanks.
AK's aren't that hard to build. All you need is a shovel and a furnace.

In support of the Arabian Revolt during WWI, the British supplied the allied Arabs with large quantities of captured Mausers since they functioned better in desert conditions with little to no maintenance than the Enfields. The concept is nothing new.

My question is what happened to all of the Russian (to brush broadly) weapons captured in Iraq and Afghanistan? Couldn't there by a big stash set up on Diego Garcia or some other out of the way location? I can see producing ammunition for local friendly forces but waist not want not...

Did you read the story?

This isn't for our own troops, it is for foreign troops who don't want a mishmash of US weapons and Russian type weapons.
No, not the whole thing.
Title was misleading.
If for foreign "Friendlies" then nothing new here.
A non-story with a clever title to get folks to read it.

Be damn careful who you supply with weapons.
They might be pointed at you someday.

I am not worried about giving them weapons, they can pretty much get those anywhere if they have the money, it is the training that can come back to bite you.

That said, from what I have seen, giving the Kurds assistance to fight ISIS is hopefully a good thing to do.

Of all the Middle East operators, the Kurds have, over time proven themselves trustworthy.
A friend worked in Iran during the Shah era.
He said all his foremen were Kurds because they were competent and could be trusted.

However, if you occupy territory that they thinks is theirs, look out.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top