JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think I would have an issue with it being mandatory for a FFL to provide free training of some sort. Again, it would be a great up-sell opportunity. If you offer a free class, and half the students buy a cleaning kit from your or holster and you have at least broken even on the class.

But I draw the line at FFL, not a person to person sale.

I agree. Not only could it increase sales, it could have the potential to decrease insurance costs (not sure on that one because I don't know how gun shop insurance is regulated).

No. Requiring training in order to exercise a Constitutional right is just a gateway to taking away that right. Should people be required to pass a writing skills test or spelling test before they are allowed to post on the internet, write letters to politicians or to newspapers? "Shall not be infringed" means the government cannot impose restrictions on the right to bear arms, even though there are plenty of examples (such as requiring a permit to carry a concealed handgun) where they have. If you want mandatory firearm safety training, incorporate it in grade school, but proof of completing the training is not required. If kids can be taught about safe sex in school why not safe firearm handling?

No, for several reasons. While it's a good idea for people to have instruction on firearms, once a requirement is in place, it could be manipulated to cause us all grief.

Safe firearm training used to be part of school for some. I can't fault that idea, as long as there's no "anti" leanings.

It wasn't a lack of training that got two people killed Tuesday.

I can understand the idea of wanting people to take a training class for firearms, but that should be your decision. Not a requirement. I have handled firearms since i was a child. Always under the supervision of my father, and shown the proper way to handle a gun. Yes a gun can kill you, but so can smoking ciggirets, do i have to take a class to show me what they will do to me if i smoke them before i by them. No. Now days with the internet, you can youtube safe gun handling and there will pop up dozens of videos on how to handle any weapon. I don't want it to get to the point were the only class you can take is taught by the government, and its just another thing we have to pay them for.
Yes you are required to take a hunters safety course if you are going to hunt. This is mostly teaching knowing your surroundings because of the fact that there are other people around you hunting. You will be discharging your gun in a area were other hunters are.
I do think that first time owners should be encouraged to take a class, I am sure that almost every range has some kinda class, they are not that hard to find.

Yes, I strongly support the government up my *** as deep as possible in every concievable aspect of my life. They can make personal decisions for me far better than I am capable of making for myself.

Unbelievable thread:rolleyes:

I don't think I would have an issue with it being mandatory for a FFL to provide free training of some sort. Again, it would be a great up-sell opportunity. If you offer a free class, and half the students buy a cleaning kit from your or holster and you have at least broken even on the class.

But I draw the line at FFL, not a person to person sale.

totally agree, i would draw the line af FFLs too. there for at least the little bit they learn they can pass on to their kids/wife whoever lives with them so they know basic gun safty. cause we were all first time gun buyers at some point, and we all knew much less then compared to now.

Sure, let's require training. Only on days of blue moons, only in Loomis, WA and it costs $25,000. And if you can't afford to go, well, too bad, you don't get to exercise your pre-existing, Constitutionally protected rights....

(yes, that is sarcasm)

Well I'm not sure how you would get the first time gun thieves to take a class. In the Clackamas town center and Newton CT shootings the Murderers both STOLE the firearms used.

I have a better suggestion instead of requiring people who buy a firearm take a safety class how about having basic firearms safety in schools starting with gradeschool children. Not the stupid don't touch run away crap that is mentioned. but actual firearms safety. It could be taught in stages say. A basic intro to 3rd graders then a more advanced class to 7th graders then in High school a full on class with actual firearms training. The early stages could be a couple hours long using multimedia and a video game like format. With the high school class similar to how bowling was part of our PE classes a couple class periods of instruction and then a trip to the gun range for the practical part. Make it part of health class afterall knowing firearms safety helps keep people healthy.

How about making people take a child rearing class before issuing a marriage license.
Maybe that would reduce some of the screwed up kids in this country.

As a new gun owner, I do not think that it should be mandatory that I take a class to buy or use a gun. I think it is MY responsibility to take the appropriate classes for the firearms I am using. I know not everyone will, or has to. There is no reason for someone that has been around guns and shooting since before they can remember. For others such as myself, I want to know what I am doing, and the proper way to do it. I have taken my CCW class, I go into to the local office on Jan 10 to pay my fees and such. I am signing up both my wife and I for a handgun essential class, followed by a practical handgun combat class. I am also taking an essential carbine class for myself. This is because I want to feel comfortable with what I am carrying, and shooting. The government should not make anything required, they have there nose in our lives way to much as it is.

Thats just my personal opinion, take it or leave it. Merry Christmas, and Happy New years

Shane

Sure, let's require training. Only on days of blue moons, only in Loomis, WA and it costs $25,000. And if you can't afford to go, well, too bad, you don't get to exercise your pre-existing, Constitutionally protected rights....

(yes, that is sarcasm)

I thought the was the bill being passed by congress
had me worried till I saw the (yes, that is sarcasm) lol

As a new gun owner, I do not think that it should be mandatory that I take a class to buy or use a gun. I think it is MY responsibility to take the appropriate classes for the firearms I am using. I know not everyone will, or has to. There is no reason for someone that has been around guns and shooting since before they can remember. For others such as myself, I want to know what I am doing, and the proper way to do it. I have taken my CCW class, I go into to the local office on Jan 10 to pay my fees and such. I am signing up both my wife and I for a handgun essential class, followed by a practical handgun combat class. I am also taking an essential carbine class for myself. This is because I want to feel comfortable with what I am carrying, and shooting. The government should not make anything required, they have there nose in our lives way to much as it is.

Thats just my personal opinion, take it or leave it. Merry Christmas, and Happy New years

Shane

how dare you have personal responsibility big brother needs to tell you how to learn:s0140:
your on the right path good show:s0155:

How about making people take a child rearing class before issuing a marriage license.
Maybe that would reduce some of the screwed up kids in this country.

Not sure that logic applies.

But in a certain legal vs. illegal gun ownership-like way I suppose it does. People will always pop out kids like Pez dispensers with or without marrying, or applying for a licence.

So who'd tax that, the ATFF?

But after reading the rest of the posts here I'm rethinking a bit. I do like the idea I firearms training in schools better than some mandatory class. Teaching them young is a great idea. By the time somebody is out of school I think certain areas of common sense are already unteachable.

I took classes in the scouts, as well as from my father. For these reasons I am a safe and responsible handler of firearms.

If this is to be taught in school then we need to also teach more responsibilities that seem to be missing from the syllabus lately... like sex education an personal finance and the ramifications of being ignorant to the above.

It all comes down to education and personal responsibility... things that really seem to be lacking recently.

Yes there should be required training. Some people just don't know and a lot of deaths and injuries could be prevented . Too many people growing up now a days with parents that substitute quality time to time in front of a video game or TV and they do not take time to monitor them.

Some people learn all they know about guns from TV and Video Games I know this for a fact.

My nephew who i took out shooting a few times and once told him if your ever at some friends house and they bring out guns and there is not a adult around or if they are not following the safety rules that i am showing you tell them to put the guns away or you will leave . when he turned 19 that exact incident happened 2 of his friends from homes with out guns who played violent video games and watched movies like Pulp fiction which glorified the bad guys just turned 18 and the other 19 and went out and bought 2 pump shot guns and they would jack shells and eject them and point at each other . He told them to put them away or he would leave and they did what he asked but that did not not stop them from playing that game later and one of them that though he had ejected the shell and thought it was empty pointed it at the other and killed him. One is dead the other is in jail.

I can't help but wonder had they had to go through just a basic safety course that thought them just how dangerous shot guns and how real they are maybe that would not have happened.

The truth is we don't live in the world we used to where there were not video games that you rack up points by killing people and movies like the dark knight and pulp fiction that glorify the the bad guys. We live in a time where Saying Merry Christmas can get you fired or offend some. We live in a time where "Thau shall not kill" can't be taught cause its not politically correct..
We live in a time where parents are doped up or pre occupied or just not there or just don't care.

There was a time when high schools had shooting ranges, Many of our Portland area schools had shooting ranges it was usual to see a car load of teen agers getting out of a car with rifles to compete at the high schools and never was there a incident.

Its different times there is a solution but it will never happen and its only going to get worse. The governments solution will be to take away the guns. The gun owners solution would be to arm everyone neither solution would have prevented what happened in that school . Even if the teacher was armed she may have had a chance but if some one barges in guns blazing and your the primary target , none of you even highly trained could have stop that .

We as a society need to take a look at what we have become what now entertains us , My favorite show is the walking dead i used to say its ok they are killing zombies now they are killing each other i am of sane mine its ok right? what if some nut bag watches stuff like that and wants to live it out " Life imitates art " we are not all sane people.

So should we as gun owners decide how to deal with gun rights to make the country safer or leave it up to the Government to do it .

Just my 2 cents.

Should there be required training for new gun purchasers ?
I am not saying a person needs a license to own a gun. However I am asking do you think people should be trained before they are allowed to have one.
I was trying to think of a analogy to compare it to and thought this.

Years ago a person went to the DMV got a license and went driving. Eventually they included a actual driving test.
Due to safety concerns they eventually decided that a permit for persons under 18 was a good idea.
I have the right to buy and own a car, I however should not drive unless I know how.
My brain tells me the same thing about gun owners, I am bothered but what I see as plain ignorance on safety and use.

Me and my wife were having our morning coffee talking about guns ( I love her ). Anyways she told me about this guy she works with. He took bought a new gun and is ex-military, and took his wife to go shooting in BLM. He thought he would play a practical joke on here. He took his 357 loaded 38 and shot it one handed, with just a little kick to it.
His wife decided looked easy enough. So he chambers a 38 round and then 357 next to it unknown to here. She fires the first one and goes not bad, fires the next and almost took her head off. Military training teaches combat safety not common safety. And this brings me back to anyone that first buys their first gun should have to take a safety class.

I ca not help but think this would sure put up a huge argument for gun haters, If people we trained it would be just like people learning to drive. I can already hey many say I know my guns bla bla bla, Well then this would not apply to you. I do think that if you can not show you either go to a range or have had safety training them it should be a no go.
And I think concealed holders should be required to take a safety class.

I am not telling anyone to compromise our 2nd rights, I am saying education goes along way in keeping our rights.
We can stand by and watch are guns are stripped away, or compromise and pass legislation to prevent it through training. I hear in this forum people complain and fear our goes may be taken, well then attack where they attack us.
They say guns are unsafe, lets prove them otherwise. The 2nd awesome as it is does not tell anyone you know how to handle a gun safely anymore then owning a car means you know how to drive.

Probably gonna catch slack but its how I feel and I am a 100% 2nd supporter, and support all rights to own and carry.
But we may lose these rights if we do not learn to fight for our rights like they do against it.

Since when has more government intrusion ever been a good thing or made things easier and better. Driving is a privilege, gun ownership is a right. Please differentiate with discression.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top