JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If carrying out a death penalty sentence was privatized the cost would plummet.

Hey, a good rope, or a bullet, a sharp sword and someone willing to be an executioner would be quite inexpensive.

I would imagine quite a number of folks would do it for free, hell, maybe even offer to pay the state.

Let the family of the victim do it if wanted

Career violent criminals who perpetrate the kind of horror Mikej outlined should not have to wait around for their death date.

They should be promptly extinguished.

I think the 'guillotine' a humane method to dispatch these violent vermin.

I'd guess the state wouldn't have to pay much for all the necessary machines as hobbyist/wood workers would probably build them for free, but ask the state to pay for the material.

In the rare case yes, but we have tens of thousands of life long career criminals that have an arrest record thicker than my recieps for my years taxes, im all for getting rid of the slag.
For sure, but when it comes to me sanctioning state murders of citizens, even 1 innocent man being put to death is too many. It's something I struggle with because I hate the cost. But I also feel that the state killing even 1 innocent person is the antithesis of American freedom.

100%

There are certain cases (Joseph Duncan etc) that the death penalty is made for.

Cases that rely on circumstantial evidence probably should not qualify.

We should figure out how to get the cost down instead of whining about how it's more expensive to put someone to death than incarcerate someone.
Firing squad, 2 live rounds, four dummy rounds. That should work out to less than $6.00 per execution. At that rate, I'll pay for the first hundred executions.

For sure, but when it comes to me sanctioning state murders of citizens, even 1 innocent man being put to death is too many. It's something I struggle with because I hate the cost. But I also feel that the state killing even 1 innocent person is the antithesis of American freedom.

But see, the proponents of the death penalty are not talking about innocent people getting put to death! So you can rest at ease!

Make it easy and cheap. DRUGS. A big, FAT, syringe, loaded with DRUGS. Those doing the deed can take comfort in the fact the process gave the murderer one last pleasant trip.

The old argument that the risk of putting 'one innocent person' to death should stop ALL executions is utterly bogus.

My wife had a hippie chick friend who believed no one should be put in jail or prison ever because they 'might be innocent'. That the vast majority in jail or prison are there for very good, provable with evidence reasons - is just where they belong. And generally, they've committed many, many crimes before being caught.

What, we should let all criminals go free for fear a tiny percentage aren't guilty is to invite chaos more than we already experience. Paralyzing society because of naive ideals rather than reality should be the order of the day?

No!

The system of how we treat criminals is imperfect. There's no perfection available, but the overwhelming number of turd buckets in jail or prison are right where they belong.

And, those designated to be executed for horrors they most definitely committed shouldn't languish on death row. Their sentences should after careful scrutiny (not lasting decades) be carried out with great expeditiousness.

Last Edited:
Since ms brownstain and her one party legislature have for the most part, eliminated capital punishment in Oregon, it really no longer matters.:mad:

I agree with Meaty, Thomas Jefferson said that one innocent man being screwed over by the system is too many, and if you look at the crime rate, innocent people are the ONLY people being arrested and or charged and convicted! The po-lice state/state needs a certain level of crime to justify their actions. A crack head here was arrested over 600 times for arson, assault, assault and battery, drugs, etc., etc. and spent a total of about 10 days in jail for all of them as he was a po-lice informer. The crack head climbed into a guys car through the window and the guy got arrested and convicted for defending himself against the crack head! The poor sod spent more time in jail waiting for trial, than the crack head did for all 600 arrests! The crack head was finally arrested for kidnapping a girl out of a convenience store, at knife point and rape, finally convicted and sent to prison for life. The cops are STILL trying to get him back out so they can keep the crime rate up to it's "usual" standards so they can do what they want.

So why are honest citizens being charges and convicted? The state wants easy convictions to keep the conviction rate high, honest people who haven't been run through the system and have no money or front groups who want to keep violent criminals on the street, are the easiest to screw over. Also the system (deep state) wants to convict people to give them a record so they can control them easier and get DNA, etc., as well as money from them. Here, the fine the court slaps on an honest citizen that is caught up and finally pleads out to keep from going bankrupt fighting the system that is using the poor sods own money to charge him, goes to the JUDGE, not some "court house/state/city/county" fund. Others claim the money goes to those groups, but not here, here it is the judge's retirement fund. The more and higher the fine, the more the judge can retire on. Plus they didn't build all those prisons to have them sitting empty either, do a google search of judges who were (are) convicting people to fill prisons and getting a kick back! Jailing children for a kick back! The list is endless. Sure I know that YOUR county attorney/judges/po-lice and others are paragons of just-us, it is all the other crooks that do that, but one innocent victim getting shafted deliberately is too many!

I agree with Meaty, Thomas Jefferson said that one innocent man being screwed over by the system is too many, and if you look at the crime rate, innocent people are the ONLY people being arrested and or charged and convicted! The po-lice state/state needs a certain level of crime to justify their actions. A crack head here was arrested over 600 times for arson, assault, assault and battery, drugs, etc., etc. and spent a total of about 10 days in jail for all of them as he was a po-lice informer. The crack head climbed into a guys car through the window and the guy got arrested and convicted for defending himself against the crack head! The poor sod spent more time in jail waiting for trial, than the crack head did for all 600 arrests! The crack head was finally arrested for kidnapping a girl out of a convenience store, at knife point and rape, finally convicted and sent to prison for life. The cops are STILL trying to get him back out so they can keep the crime rate up to it's "usual" standards so they can do what they want.

So why are honest citizens being charges and convicted? The state wants easy convictions to keep the conviction rate high, honest people who haven't been run through the system and have no money or front groups who want to keep violent criminals on the street, are the easiest to screw over. Also the system (deep state) wants to convict people to give them a record so they can control them easier and get DNA, etc., as well as money from them. Here, the fine the court slaps on an honest citizen that is caught up and finally pleads out to keep from going bankrupt fighting the system that is using the poor sods own money to charge him, goes to the JUDGE, not some "court house/state/city/county" fund. Others claim the money goes to those groups, but not here, here it is the judge's retirement fund. The more and higher the fine, the more the judge can retire on. Plus they didn't build all those prisons to have them sitting empty either, do a google search of judges who were (are) convicting people to fill prisons and getting a kick back! Jailing children for a kick back! The list is endless. Sure I know that YOUR county attorney/judges/po-lice and others are paragons of just-us, it is all the other crooks that do that, but one innocent victim getting shafted deliberately is too many!

Lol. Way too much wrong with your post to spend picking it apart, but I will say I don't think that you are making the argument that you think you are.

While I believe there are crimes that warrant a punishment of death, and while I am sure there are convicted criminals that deserve this punishment, we have each witnessed people condemned to death that have later been found to be not guilty be reason of DTNA evidence (or other evidence) to the contrary of their previous finding of guilt. Therefore, I am reminded of Blackstone's Ratio which many of the Founding Fathers held to: It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.

Perfection is a laudable goal...that can never be reached.

Lock em up and off with their heads if they've committed heinous crimes...

Bring back the 'guillotine' as it's quite humane if kept kept sharpened adequately.

The idea that we should be executing people and not be worried about executing the innocent is... Shocking, coming from a liberty minded group. Unless you are wealthy enough to provide your own defense throughout a lengthy trial, the only person in that room not on the states payroll is you.

"Love your country, but NEVER trust it's government"

Ok, ive changed my mind. The only crime that should carry the death penalty is not moving your car from the travel lane after a minor fender bender or letting your bubblegumheap break down in the travel lane.

Another example - this could have been a death penalty case, glad it wasn't. 4 in prison for 18 years

2016 Article

Right.
"The day the deal was reached, the Alaska Department of Law put out a statement declaring, "This is not an exoneration. In this settlement, the four defendants agreed they were properly and validly investigated, prosecuted, and convicted." "

"Late last year, state judge heard the new evidence during a five-week hearing that ended in November. The men knew there was a good chance they'd be exonerated, but they also knew that the judge might take over six months to issue his ruling, so when the state offered a deal that would overturn the convictions and instantly free them, they signed. The catch: In order to settle, the Fairbanks Four gave up their right to sue the state and withdrew their claims of prosecutorial misconduct, both concessions demanded by the state that legal experts called arguably unethical and reprehensible. "If you were in these defendants' shoes, the pull of getting out of prison is just so strong that you'd be willing to sign just about anything," Northwestern University law professor Steven Drizin tells Newsweek, adding that it's unusual for prosecutors to force convicts to sign away their right to sue in exchange for freedom. "

Scroll down in this article for the current (2020) events.

Just my opinion here...
So it don't really matter to anyone but me...

If the death penalty is to be carried out..
It needs to be carried out quickly , painlessly and professionally.

Anything else and one runs the risk of turning into the monster that one is trying to destroy.
Andy
Andy always seems to have a logical answer. I thank you. After reading most of the post I must admit that all of you folks have a very good point.

While I believe there are crimes that warrant a punishment of death, and while I am sure there are convicted criminals that deserve this punishment, we have each witnessed people condemned to death that have later been found to be not guilty be reason of DTNA evidence (or other evidence) to the contrary of their previous finding of guilt.

This is where I am with it too. There are crimes so heinous (e.g., homicide, rape, child molestation, terrorism, etc.) that warrants a swift removal of the perp from the living. If there was an absolute guarantee that the person in question was guilty of said, I don't see anything unethical about placing them in front of a firing squad.

That said, there are a number of human beings, right now, that were on death row for years before DNA or other evidence exonerated them. I am aware of some cases in which they ended up there by grossly unethical or incompetent actions taken by the state. As bad as doing time for a crime you didn't commit is, at least they lived to see freedom again.

Which brings me to my main reservation about the death penalty: giving power to the state to end human life is not a zone I care to go into. It is troubling because everyone can make a mistake, some can be corrupted, and the history of governments in the world is even worse. I have living family members, in another society (Argentina), that remember a time of routine torture and brutal executions, many extrajudicial. While unlikely American society would ever become as corrupt as the Dirty War era, it is a cautionary tale.

For those that did the worst of the worst crimes, hard labor with anything earned going to the family of the victims, nutritious but bland food, minimal or no entertainment, basic health care, and access to legal and religious counsel; nothing else. Decades of that may be more of a punishment than a few minutes blindfolded.

I don't wanna empower the state to hold a OBEY OR ELSE but unless if you are basically a menace to society at large and produce no value while only taking away from regular innocents in the name of funsies, then ya go for it. Don't need them going old school calling everyone a witch then burning them at the stake.

otherwise no.

Glad this guy had gotten Life rather than Death,
cause once again, he was innocent of the crime they convicted him of ...

"There's probably 5,000 or 6,000 innocent people in Texas prisons alone," said lawyer Mike Ware, executive director of the Innocence Project of Texas,

Ok, so...................We have that MAX train stabber who should be given the death penalty, and yet he is not eligible under current terms, and his sentencing should be pretty soon! Why even have the ability on the books if not specifically for this type of criminal, well known for his crimes, and guilty as hell beyond all contestation, he would never be able to appeal a case, and the state would have zero to worry about in this, the proof is irrefutable, we have all seen it!

I have to admit, I was pretty pizzed when I found out he wouldn't be getting the death penalty, he most certainly deserves it for what he did! And I don't care for Gov'ness Brownstains "Feel Good" policies, order the murder of a man on one hand, and then prevent a murderer from being given the sentence he deserves on the other! Talk about two faced!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top