JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is only a deterrent if it is carried out. With the current and previous Governor (ying/yang) refusing to carry out the law that the citizens of Oregon voted in. the only thing the criminal will receive is a lengthy stay at the Oregon State Penitentiary Spa.

No- i dont believe in death penalty. Cut them apart and sell their body parts to the riches that need kidneys and lungs balls whatever and use that money to pay back to the victims family.

It is only a deterrent if it is carried out.
Statistically I believe it is NOT a deterrent to crime - but it sure prevents second time offenders. My answer though would be yes to carrying it out but ONLY if it could be done quickly and inexpensively without all the Pomp and Circumstance of a typical execution. However I have often thought of an alternative plan. "Warehouse' those on Death Row in incredibly small cells with no windows or contact with others. Basically existence at the most minimal level but give the inmate the choice of life in this environment - or death by self inflicted suicide. A 'Suicide Room' could be easily designed where the inmate could push a button when ready. The inmate would have the opportunity to see loved ones, family members prior to but would then enter the room alone.

I dont support life sentances.. Waste of money. Just hang them.

I think the victim(s) or victim(s) family should be able to choose the punishment though.

I also dont like the idea of an easy stay at prison.. Hard hard labor should be reintroduced.

"Gang" activity inside prisons should be dealt with brutal punishment as well.. Sick of seeing gangs flourish and their numbers increase because of the networking being done inside.

That whole "tough guy" attitude guys go into prison with should be beat out of them.

The problem is it is never carried out. Then when it is it is carried out it is for a 20 or 25 year old murder. This is caused by the left's contortion and perversion of the eighth amendment (cruel and unusual punishment). This is not accidental, but by design. They want it to be such a PITA that those who do want it carried out throw up their arms and say "why bother".

When it was carried out as it was intended, that is often, it had a tremendous effect on crime rates and recidivism. But again, over the years those who are "enlightened" (in other words, the do-gooders) have contorted and perverted this argument into what we have today.

I still have trouble with this "cruel and unusual punishment" statement. I was taught in English class when using the word "and" in a statement both must be true or the statement is false. Although capital punishment might be cruel, depending on how it's carried out, it's far from unusual. But cold blooded murder of the unborn isn't cruel and unusual, so what do I know.

Yes, actually go the public hanging route if you really want it to be a deterrent. Best make sure they are guilty beyond any doubt though since there are no do overs.

Yes, actually go the public hanging route if you really want it to be a deterrent. Best make sure they are guilty beyond any doubt though since there are no do overs.
My though is no victim no crime..
Crimes against "the state" are a joke and seem like government over reach.. IMO.. like small moving violations or city ordinances (to an extent).
However clear crimes against a person or persons should be dealt with.

Last Edited:
Some more interesting data on relation between murders and death penalty :

Country | Homicide Rate | Death penalty
US | 4.8 | YES
Iceland | 0.3 | NO
Austria | 0.6 | NO
Switzerland | 0.7 | NO
Spain | 0.8 | NO
Germany | 0.8 | NO
Denmark | 0.9 | NO
Italy | 0.9 | NO
Canada | 1.6 | NO

Only developed "civilized" countries are listed. Now obviously there are countries out there which have lower homicide rates than US, and which may be developing, "uncivilized", etc, but have death penalty. Conclusion I want to make though - it is likely possible to deal with homicides without death penalty altogether. And you may be aware that the homicide rate in the US has been decreasing for last 20 years.

Some more interesting data on relation between murders and death penalty :

Country | Homicide Rate | Death penalty
US | 4.8 | YES
Iceland | 0.3 | NO
Austria | 0.6 | NO
Switzerland | 0.7 | NO
Spain | 0.8 | NO
Germany | 0.8 | NO
Denmark | 0.9 | NO
Italy | 0.9 | NO
Canada | 1.6 | NO

Only developed "civilized" countries are listed. Now obviously there are countries out there which have lower homicide rates than US, and which may be developing, "uncivilized", etc, but have death penalty. Conclusion I want to make though - it is likely possible to deal with homicides without death penalty altogether. And you may be aware that the homicide rate in the US has been decreasing for last 20 years.
Wasnt it in Japan or Switzerland where a Japanese man murdered and ate a woman and hes free now.. Living in Japan..

Not sure if I could let that slide.
Especially if I was a family member of the woman he murdered.

Not protesting your post, just stating on an opinion.. I think some crimes deserve an eye for an eye.

Wasnt it in Japan or Switzerland where a Japanese man murdered and ate a woman and hes free now.. Living in Japan..

Not sure if I could let that slide.
Especially if I was a family member of the woman he murdered.

Not protesting your post, just stating on an opinion.. I think some crimes deserve an eye for an eye.

Yes, there are two aspects to the question - moral and pragmatic. Pragmatism is much easier to address than morality :)

Yes, it's the law........Oh never mind.
What's that got to do with anything. Our WA State Governor recently announced that nobody would be executed on his watch. So much for what the voters wanted. Hope everyone remembers that at the next election (hah!).

Argue all you want about whether it's a deterrent but it sure cures recidivism. Anyone want a great example of why there is a Death Penalty, read up on the Charles Rodman Campbell case. He even has his own Wikipedia page.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top