JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should moderators be eligible to participate in our fundraiser giveaways?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With our big 2020 Spring Fundraiser coming up next month, I was thinking this over last night, and I'd like to get your input. Back when we first started doing the giveaways we literally printed everyone's name on a piece of paper, cut them up, and drew names out of a bowl. Since there was a human element involved we decided that moderators wouldn't be eligible to squash any suspicion of impropriety. We've come a long way since then and our giveaway system is now fully automated, with members submitting their entries and the system drawing names at the set time. Considering our moderators are some of our most generous donors despite the lack of fundraiser giveaway participation as an incentive, I think allowing their participation is something to consider.

For the record admins would still be prohibited. Since I'm the only admin, that means me :)

@Moderators feel free to comment here but please don't vote.

Edit: As @Velzey mentioned, Supporting Vendors have been prohibited as well. I'm going to make the call to allow them to participate if they have Supporting Member status (the Supporting Vendor status won't get any giveaway entries).
To be totally pragmatic about it and not getting into my opinion at all, my thinking is that you have to decide whether it's worth the flak if a moderator wins. If a moderator doesn't win then there is no flak. Perhaps if a moderator wins there will also be no flak.? I guess this thread is a good way to gauge if there will be negative feedback. If a moderator wins twice in a row I would guess there would be some flak.

I give a lot a credit to Moderators and thank them for doing what they do and I appreciate their efforts to keep the forums cleaned up.
I am a long time knife collector and have been asked to become a moderator on a couple of knife forums.
NO thank you was my reply. I enjoy spending time on the forums sharing our hobby with others. I come here to relax and have fun. NO way do I want the job of baby sitting all the whiners and trolls. I avoid threads that are argumentative.
If I want to get in an argument with someone, my wife is close by and always ready to accommodate that desire. :s0037:

I think the 'appearance' of moderator participation encourages others to join in. So yeah, mods should be able to participate however.....they can't win. The 'appearance' of a mod winning a giveaway is bad form, like all the folks disqualified on radio giveaways, basically anyone affiliated w/the station is ineligible so it would follow any mods would be ineligible to win.

HAHAHA LOL Realistically if anyone deserves to win it's the MODS! Mods are the lifeblood of a good forum, heck they should be the ONLY ones eligible to win IMO.

Three pages later, and I really don't know what answer the owner and employees of this forum are really hoping for. :s0071:

Most of us don't care.:s0093:

If everything is on the up-and-up, then it doesn't matter.

If everything is not on the up-and-up, then it also doesn't matter.

Either way, my odds of winning remain very low. My donations here have never been about a drawing.

I voted yes.

Three pages later, and I really don't know what answer the owner and employees of this forum are really hoping for.
Well I am hoping for :
A original Hawken Rifle Circa mid-1840's....
A way to remove the broken rear barrel band screw from my pre-64 Winchester 94 Carbine...
Some spending cash for the Big Black Powder Gun Show in March...
Oh yeah....And World Peace....:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews