Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SHOULD I use Winchester 400 Small Rifle Primers for use in an AR15?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by zippygaloo, Mar 1, 2012.

1. zippygaloo

zippygaloo Oregon Member

SHOULD I use Winchester 400 Small Rifle Primers for use in an AR15? Or should I only use CCI #41 5.56mm primers?

Also, does anyone know where I can find CCI #41 5.56mm primers locally? Thanks.

2. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

I use Winchester and CCI small rifle primers in my AR 15, and have had no problems what so ever. I would say use what you think works for you. I don't know where you can find primers you want locally, but I was looking at Natchez web site and thought I saw them listed there. Good luck safe shooting.

3. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Never used #41 and I load a lot of ammo for my AR.

4. bmgm37

bmgm37 Coos Bay Active Member

Never used the #41's either. Use CCI, Remington and Winchester without any problems even in my full auto M16.

5. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

I use the Wolf small magnum rifle primers. For my 5.56 reloads.
    About 20,000 so far and not one miss hap.
    I've shot them Semi auto and a from a buddies Full auto Hk 33 and m16 no problems..
    There around $17.00 a 1000....
    And i have good luck with the Privi FMJ 55gr bullets and there cheep as well..

6. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I never use the 41's and never a problem. Just good ole CCI small rifle.

7. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

The 41's are designed to prevent slam fires through controlled sensitivity. More of an issue with FA weapons or weapons that can allow the firing pin to protrude some when going to battery. For most well maintained AR's this isn't an issue.

I've used the Wolf .223 Primers for several years but mostly because I could buy them for about $15/thousand and standard SRP's were $10 more. I sure wouldn't pay what they want for the 41's.

8. rrojohnso

rrojohnso Vancouver, WA Member

Depending on where you are, there is a gun shop in Vancouver that has the CCI #41 in stock, and they run about $35/1k. I don't own an AR, and have never purchased these primers. The 7.62 version of the CCI primers are a little hotter than the standard large rifle primers - some books say to load them with mag loads, while other say not to load them any differently... maybe the 41's are slightly faster burning compared to the standard primers? Who knows. I know nothing - but to answer your question, Brightwater ventures has 'em.

9. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

The only primers you really want to avoid in the AR platform are the federal primers, the cups tend to be a bit on the soft side. I've never had a problem loading them, but I am quite well aware how soft federals are, and how hard semi-auto rifles can be on primers. As a consequence I'm in concert with the many voices out there that say avoid federal primers for autoloaders.

I've loaded #41's, CCI small rifle (400?), winchester WSR, and just about everything else you could shove in the back end of the cartridge and expect it to go bang, I did have problems with wolf primers, but it wasn't once they were loaded... they just wouldn't feed reliably in high speed commercial loading machines (would get stuck in the tube too often because of errant primer sealant).

+1 on PRVI bullets I load tons of these in .303 brit, and .30-06, also Xtreme bullets has a pretty competitive price on 55gr FMJ's X-Treme Bullets - (800) 482-2103

10. Gunner3456

If I buy 3500 bullets, I can get Montana Gold's true FMJ copper jacketed (not plated) bullets for the same price as these bullets. Xtremebullets lists them under plated and then calls them FMJ so I'm not sure what they are. I've loaded about 10,000 Montana Gold and had no problems.

Actually, Montana Gold's prices include shipping so they are actually cheaper when ordering 3,500. LINK

11. deadshot2

Gunner-

Metal is metal. Even plated bullets are referred to as FMJ's.

Ditto on your preference for Montana Gold bullets. Why settle for plated when you can get a jacketed for the same or lower price.

12. Gunner3456

LOL. Don't confuse me now. First say that plated bullets are FMJ and then say why settle for plated when you can get jacketed... :D:

I've never bought lead, or cast lead, or bought plated for a center fire rifle. I used to cast lead for pistols and still like that FBI cast hollow point. For close up, I suspect that a true wadcutter would be nasty.

I wish I knew the expansion and penetration qualities of the Montana Gold JHP pistol bullets. I just keep buying brand names that I can find data about for defensive bullets.

13. deadshot2

A "Jacketed" bullet is essentially a two-piece bullet. The separately formed jacket and the lead core that the jacket is swaged around to form the final shape. The jacket has a substantially stronger structure and doesn't "wrinkle" when seating like some of the Plated bullets do.

All that said, I prefer the Gold Dot Hollow Points for Self Defense rounds (sorry Massad, your argument against carrying reloads doesn't hold water) because they ARE plated and there is no jacket to separate on impact. I don't see the MG hollow points as a good SD bullet but then again, I doubt anyone would stand up long if they were hit by one:);)

14. Gunner3456

I was just messing with you. :)

I too like the Gold Dots. I got a heckuva a buy on 1500 124gr JHP 9mm about a year ago and haven't loaded them up. I do have the brass, powder and primers too so shame on me. I'm going to have to spring for some .40's before long.

15. deadshot2

Waaaell then next time just be sure to use this "smiley" poked-emoticon.gif

16. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Xtreme bullets while they list them as "plated" are not plated like pistol bullets, I think it's more that they didn't want to add another category, Xtreme bullets are jacketed in the traditional fashion, I have about 20k of them right here.

Montana gold if you buy 3k is still about $91/k, with xtreme if you buy 2k, you're at 84/k, so it's about $7 cheaper by the thousand, and the xtreme bullets are standard FMJ, I've seen the plated .224" bullets, they are complete garbage and totally agree that is not what you want.

17. svtrc51

svtrc51 Woodland Member

I have used the montana gold jhp's with the 10mm/40. And while they are hp's good luck getting them to expand. They are hard lead with a brass jacket acting like a fmj. I believe they claim no expansion as well.

18. Gunner3456

Doesn't Montana Gold have free shipping?

Thanks for the pics and the info.

19. deadshot2

Definitely YES! They ship via USPS Flat Rate Box. You ought to see the face on the "Mail Girl" when she has a delivery of a couple cases. She's now started to just back into my driveway with her mail truck and drop them off before starting the rest of the neighborhood deliveries.

Don''t pay attention to the "Residential Delivery Charge" shown on their website. That's a holdover from the days they used UPS.

20. billt

billt Glendale, Arizona Active Member

This is an even better deal. 5,000 Lake City 55 Gr. FMJBT for $390.00 DELIVERED USPS Priority Mail. That's only $7.80 a hundred. I'm currently shooting these bullets, and they are some of the most consistant FMJ bulk bullets I've ever loaded or shot.

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC