JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently aquired 11 boxes of .45 M1911 Pistol Ball Ammo. The guy I got it from says that it is from WWII and that it shoots and cycles fine. Does anyone know more about this ammo? Is it worth keeping around? Any insight is appriciated.

I havn't figured out posting pictues, but it is in 50 round brown cardboard boxes with the following:

PISTOL BALL
CALIBER .45 M1911
LOT W.C.C
WESTERN CARTRIDGE COMPANY​

See Pictures Below

Last Edited:
I was given a partial box of it and shot it in my new Remington 1911. It shot extremely well. One-hole group, in fact. That said, most, if not all of it is corrosive, so a good cleaning would be in order.

If they are sealed boxes in good shape, I'd consider consigning them to Wards Auctions over in W. Salem. They auction all sorts of collector stuff, mainly cartridges and boxes of them.

P1060829.jpg
P1060828.jpg

Nope, I wouldn't shoot them either. Worth more historically then they are in terms of modern day ammo. Nope, wouldn't fall to that temptation. When something is irreplaceable, and this fits into that category unless you pay $$$, I wouldn't do it.

The head stamp says "wcc 53". I assume this stands for "western cartridge company" and the year 1953.

A buck a round? I wont be shooting this...but will likely sell/trade it. Any thoughts about whether to sell as a lot, or to sell by the box?

I decided that I would like to trade/sell this ammo. I would prefer to trade/sell it all together. The problem is that I dont know the actual value, but Nick425 has seen them for over a dollar per round in places. I would be willing to take $400 for all 11 boxes and the tin. I will consider all reasonable offers.

If nobody takes it as all together, I will piece it out box by box. I already have one person interested in a single box. If you are interested in individual boxes let me know and I will keep people in mind.

Saxton, I dont need any 9mm or 45 colt.

a buck a round is a bit agressive a price for this, even with the boxes. I collect WW2 stuff, but I only collect weird stuff when it comes to ordnance, like steel an aluminum cased ammo that was actually made during WW2. The stuff you have is post war, so it's not correct. The boxes are very similar. You could probably get $30/box for them without too much issue. With the 1953 date stamp it should be non-corrosive non-mercuric, which they switched to after the war.

Chances are this stuff was some of the stuff that got re-imported with that big lot of 30-06 that was re-imported from greece by the CMP a few years ago.

If you really wanted to get top dollar for this, go the auction route. That, or hope you find exactly the right collector at exactly the right time. Chances are if you found this stuff, so did 10,000 other people.

After posting the $400 price for all, I have had a couple comments that a buck a round is a bit high, and that $30 per box is is a more reasonable price.

So I guess $300 for all 11 boxes is more reasonable. I dont want to go the auction route, because of the fees (20%) and would rather see people get this stuff at a more reasonable price.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top