Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Should I Shoot This?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by dball152, Nov 9, 2010.

1. dball152

dball152 Independence Active Member

I recently aquired 11 boxes of .45 M1911 Pistol Ball Ammo. The guy I got it from says that it is from WWII and that it shoots and cycles fine. Does anyone know more about this ammo? Is it worth keeping around? Any insight is appriciated.

I havn't figured out posting pictues, but it is in 50 round brown cardboard boxes with the following:

PISTOL BALL
    CALIBER .45 M1911
    LOT W.C.C
    WESTERN CARTRIDGE COMPANY​

See Pictures Below

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. taroman

taroman Willamette Valley Active Member

I was given a partial box of it and shot it in my new Remington 1911. It shot extremely well. One-hole group, in fact. That said, most, if not all of it is corrosive, so a good cleaning would be in order.

If they are sealed boxes in good shape, I'd consider consigning them to Wards Auctions over in W. Salem. They auction all sorts of collector stuff, mainly cartridges and boxes of them.

3. novamind

novamind Hillsboro Active Member

Sounds to me like they are worth more, as a part of History, than the reward of shooting them would encite.. I would research on this, before shooting.:thumbup:

4. dball152

P1060829.jpg
    P1060828.jpg

5. olyshoots

olyshoots Vancouver USA Member

Nope, I wouldn't shoot them either. Worth more historically then they are in terms of modern day ammo. Nope, wouldn't fall to that temptation. When something is irreplaceable, and this fits into that category unless you pay $$$, I wouldn't do it.

6. Dell_dude

Dell_dude Vancouver, WA Member

I would kill for an unopened spam can of that....just to have.

7. taroman

Here you go..

Ward's Auctions
    1808 37th Ave. NW
    Salem, OR 97304
    (503) 566-8800 Phone
    (503) 566-8596 Fax
    eric@wardscollectibles.com

8. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

No need to wonder how old it is. Just look at the bottom of the cartridge. It will have the two digit year of manufacture, along with who manufactured it stamped on it.

9. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

^what he said the head stamp has the date
    and that is good stuff

10. nick425

nick425 Eastside of Lake Washington Member

I have seen these run over a dollar per round in places.

11. dball152

The head stamp says "wcc 53". I assume this stands for "western cartridge company" and the year 1953.

A buck a round? I wont be shooting this...but will likely sell/trade it. Any thoughts about whether to sell as a lot, or to sell by the box?

12. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

since its open you can try both and yes
    do you need 9mm or 45 colt?

13. dball152

I decided that I would like to trade/sell this ammo. I would prefer to trade/sell it all together. The problem is that I dont know the actual value, but Nick425 has seen them for over a dollar per round in places. I would be willing to take $400 for all 11 boxes and the tin. I will consider all reasonable offers.

If nobody takes it as all together, I will piece it out box by box. I already have one person interested in a single box. If you are interested in individual boxes let me know and I will keep people in mind.

Saxton, I dont need any 9mm or 45 colt.

14. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

a buck a round is a bit agressive a price for this, even with the boxes. I collect WW2 stuff, but I only collect weird stuff when it comes to ordnance, like steel an aluminum cased ammo that was actually made during WW2. The stuff you have is post war, so it's not correct. The boxes are very similar. You could probably get $30/box for them without too much issue. With the 1953 date stamp it should be non-corrosive non-mercuric, which they switched to after the war.

Chances are this stuff was some of the stuff that got re-imported with that big lot of 30-06 that was re-imported from greece by the CMP a few years ago.

If you really wanted to get top dollar for this, go the auction route. That, or hope you find exactly the right collector at exactly the right time. Chances are if you found this stuff, so did 10,000 other people.

15. dball152

After posting the $400 price for all, I have had a couple comments that a buck a round is a bit high, and that $30 per box is is a more reasonable price.

So I guess $300 for all 11 boxes is more reasonable. I dont want to go the auction route, because of the fees (20%) and would rather see people get this stuff at a more reasonable price.

16. usmc

usmc oregon Active Member

i would shoot it. or save for last thing to shoot.

17. taroman

Not from Greece via CMP. Their charter does not allow them to deal in handguns or handgun ammo. .22LR excepted, of course.

18. bmgm37

bmgm37 Coos Bay Active Member

WCC 53 is the first year of Non-Corrosive for .45acp. This may be of some interest to some people but IMO I would just shoot it as I really dont personally think they are that special. Now if they were dated in the 40's they would be worth a lot more. Here is a sealed spam can of 1944 and they want $375 for 600 rounds.

.45 ACP WWII Spam can of ammo 600rd Surplus Ammo

19. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Personally I do not consider it to be collectable ammo and I would shoot it, save it or trade it as I saw fit.