JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Roughly two years ago my girlfriend bought me my first (and only) 1911, a beautiful Springfield Loaded with factory night sights and CT grips. I couldn't wait to get it to the range, but once there I was highly disappointed. The CT grips were off by quite a bit, which was fine because I can adjust them easily myself. However, when I tried the sights, the gun consistently shot high left, about 2-3" up and 2-3" over, and I was shooting from the bench. I figured it was probably me because I was still getting used to the gun.

On my next visit there was a guy there with a GI model shooting one rough hole. We got to talking and I told him my problem, then asked him to try shooting my 1911. Shooting it from the bench, he was able to shoot one hole with it as well, but it was off the same as when I shot it, 2-3" high, 2-3" to the left. We drifted the rear sight a bit and got it down to about .75" to the left, but the sight was all the way over and the gun was still shooting high. Since that range visit the gun has been in my safe, untouched. I really like 1911's and I think it's time to get this problem corrected so I can shoot it.

I know Springfield has a warranty, but would it cover something like this? If not, how much would it cost to have them dial it in? Would it be better to take it to a local gunsmith? How much should I expect to pay?

I'd call them. Explain the problem and see what service options are available. What was the distance to the target? What kind of ammo was being used? A light bullet like a 185 grain LSWC might have a 2-3" higher trajectory than the standard 230 grain ball.

I'll give em a call Monday. Distance was 50ft, approx. 16.6 yards. Memory is a little fuzzy but I believe it was 230 gr Winchester white box.

Back a few years ago when I was shooting a Springfield Custom Shop gun...I used to follow the Springfield forums on the web pretty regularily. From time to time, point of aim problems would pop up. Springfield (back then...don't know if its still the case) would function fire each gun before shipping them into a bullet trap...but wouldn't sight them in. If you send the gun back, they would have to take it to an offsite range to test it.

Springfield has lifetime warranties on their guns and will pay for return shipping both ways. When you talk to them and get a RMA ask them about getting it shipped on their account.

Perfect, I'm REALLY excited about getting this dialed in. It's a pity such a beautiful gun has been living in the closet for the past two years.

mr1911, she's a great girl, but I'm about as marriage-shy as one can get. It doesn't help that she consistently outshoots me, lol :)

Does Springfield care if you are not the original owner?

As I recall, the warranty says "original owner". I'd recommend calling up Springfield (800-680-6866) ....ask for Deb in the Custom Shop (you'll probably get her anyway) and discuss it with her. I'd recommend mentioning that you aren't the original owner but ask if the warranty still applies....I'm guessing that they'll say yes...unless the original owner messed with the gun enough to screw it up.

Oh yes, I did. The helpful lady at the end of the line assured me it would be taken care of and emailed me a shipping label. I'll be sending it out tomorrow ;)

I think I was the guy who helped you with the 1911. I think a re-shoot is in order, maybe a new set of sights from TOPGUN SUPPLY would help (adjustable rear high front). Great for target shooting. We must discern between shooting self defense and target can't have both with great accuracy!

This is from my 1911

crack-shots-(1).jpg

crack-shots-(1).jpg

Unfortunately the great majority of factories no longer generate a test target grouping. It's a pity, but it seems that the sights are all installed in the middle axis of the slide and they figure that is fine for most shooters (and it usually is).

I recall reading a thread that HK Poo Pooed a complaint about an HK's sights not being regulated. They wouldn't even consider "fixing" a problem that "couldn't exist" due to the extra fine tolerencces of an HK.

Springfield does offer a lifetime warranty. (technically to the original owner; but as this was a gift then that would extend to you; if your GF bought it used, Springfield would use their descretion)....Don't be surprised if it takes weeks before the gun is returned; range testing by the techs is very limited. I think function testing is just by firing in a barrel of water.

If you have exhausted all avenues then you should. You are on the right track about factory testing. Things are as they were years ago, quality control is minimal I feel. I can offer a second shooter opinion of this particular gun. I would shoot it on a rest establish the gun habits and response or shot placement pattern(s). I feel we can eliminate common errors by shooting on a rest. Having said that ammunition is also very important. Of course I do understand there are times gun shiped from the factory with sights not well align, it happened to me with a loaded SA 1911 over $800 price tag. The rear sight dance like disco fever. Customer service at SA said some gun are shipped with sights purposely not locked! Huh!? Some are off a little because barrel rides off left or right a little. So much for tolerance in quality bushing and match grade barrel.

In conclusion not to say you were not mindful of above specs but little things adds up to unhappy results. I own several a learn the hard way shooting and reading book worm of a sort but a earn my knowledge I feel. Drop me a line perhaps we will meet up at JC gun club and get down to business.

I appreciate the replies guys. I did send it in on the 21st, and unfortunately it's still being looked at according to SA. Luckily, they did say they were going to cover it under warranty. I'm really looking forward to getting it back! :D

TMan, what distance did you shoot that target above and what are the specs on the 1911 used?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top