JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I like it - fun to shoot, not so much to carry weighing 61 ounce (granted, that and the comp and the grips make keep it fun to shoot - even with hot loads).

I kind of bought it on a whim - the idea being I wanted something that shot .45LC and possibly .45 ACP (with mods). The fact that it would shoot .454 and .460 mag was a plus, but doesn't really get me far in a SHTF situation. It is about the equivalent of a .45-70 in a revolver (except for the heaviest .45-70 loads) - I am certain it could handle an elk or any bear I am likely to encounter in the PNW - as long as I did my job with bullet placement - even a bison.

I do want a .45 ACP revolver (a 9mm too - I would like to see Ruger come out with an LCRx with a 3"+ barrel in 9mm) as a backup to the semi-autos should they be involved in a tragic boating accident. That is one part of my preps; less "evil" guns in the same chambering as the more "evil" guns I own - bolt/lever/single shots and revolvers being less likely to be banned.

I was thinking about a Ruger Redhawk in .45ACP/.45LC - but I gather they are no longer made?

A S&W 325 Thunder Ranch would be nice, but it is only .45 ACP.

Both are on the expensive side.

I have to admit I've always found the .460 S&W Magnum intriguing, but never pulled the trigger, in a manner of speaking. The ability to run .45 LC and .454 Casull being a chief benefit. (And finding it mildly funny that .454 Casull is considered a lighter load.) But since we've already "standardized" on the .44 Magnum, in both wheel gun and carbine form, it never happened.

To sell or not to sell? That is a harder question. Do you have a large-bore revolver that is adequate for dangerous wild life? If the answer is yes, and I seem to recall you have a light .44 Magnum, then maybe selling works. If not, that is a niche application to consider.

Good luck. :)

I have to admit I've always found the .460 S&W Magnum intriguing, but never pulled the trigger, in a manner of speaking. The ability to run .45 LC and .454 Casull being a chief benefit. (And finding it mildly funny that .454 Casull is considered a lighter load.) But since we've already "standardized" on the .44 Magnum, in both wheel gun and carbine form, it never happened.

To sell or not to sell? That is a harder question. Do you have a large-bore revolver that is adequate for dangerous wild life? If the answer is yes, and I seem to recall you have a light .44 Magnum, then maybe selling works. If not, that is a niche application to consider.

Good luck. :)

I do have a S&W 329 PD in .44 mag plus a Rossi 92 16" carbine in .44 mag.

The main thing I was aiming for was a .45 ACP revolver with .45 LC as a significant plus. The .454 and .460 were icing on the cake - but now I am wondering how that really fits into my needs and plans. I don't hunt and I don't shoot that much.

I know a lot of people really like the big boomers and yes, it is fun to shoot regardless of what you shoot in it - the flames from the magnums (even during the day) are interesting, as is the sound. But I am just not going to be carrying a 61 ounce revolver around in the woods. I am much more likely to carry around a 325 or maybe a Redhawk (a full pound lighter) or my TRR8 or the 329PD.

While 44 magnum is a fine and versatile pistol and carbine cartridge, I standardized a long time ago with 45 LC. Handloaded and pistol hunted for years with a Ruger 7.5" Blackhawk and always had a couple of lever actions around chambered for the same. The 460 S&W is an interesting cartridge, but if I want to shoot something of that power I'll unlimber my 45-70 Contender pistol... or lob some in with my 1885 rifle. Yes, a Redhawk in 45 LC would be tits... But my Anaconda 45 with a Rossi 92 works well enough.

1190513397_20160925_193728_2343519_resized.jpg

While 44 magnum is a fine and versatile pistol and carbine cartridge, I standardized a long time ago with 45 LC. Handloaded and pistol hunted for years with a Ruger 7.5" Blackhawk and always had a couple of lever actions around chambered for the same. The 460 S&W is an interesting cartridge, but if I want to shoot something of that power I'll unlimber my 45-70 Contender pistol... or lob some in with my 1885 rifle. Yes, a Redhawk in 45 LC would be tits... But my Anaconda 45 with a Rossi 92 works well enough.

View attachment 753430

I thought about getting a Rossi carbine in .45 LC (or .454 if I could find one) but I already have a .45-70 Marlin, and the .460V has more power from a revolver than the .45LC or .454 does from the rifle. Also, I have the .44 mag and I really like it so that leaves me with the only significant benefit of a .45 revolver being shooting the .45 ACP (which my 460V doesn't do - yet).

I've seen Rossi 92s in .454 Casull pop up on Gunbroker fairly regularly. They seem to command a premium over the other calibers. I couldn't justify another caliber or lever-gun, so skipped them. But they do show up at times.

Never shot a 460, but have 454 Casull. I enjoy the boom, but not sure I'd ever want to step up to anything bigger as I haven't gone too deep into hot loads for it yet.
Love the versatility. I call it my bear/Sasquatch gun. Been looking for a Rossi 454 for years now, and finally preordered a Citadell LevTac in 454 Citadel LEVTAC-92 – Legacy Sports International
Its either FUGLY or a beautiful modern take on a lever action. (I prefer the Marlin Dark series look more, but no 454)
Most importantly, it reasonably priced and from what I can find Citadell>Rossi.

TLDR summary: If I had a 460, I'd keep it. Shoot 3 high power rounds, with the option to load 45 Colt as hot or mild as desired. Plus choices on a companion PCC. I'd call it a winner.

That versatility has cost me $$$ though. It was pretty easy to justify adding to the .45 cowboy gun collection as I needed more reasons to stock "cheaper" warm up ammo. :s0073:

The comp and the weight make a big difference in recoil - in my experience.

Worst recoiling handgun I ever shot was a Grendel P10 .380 - left a bruise on my hand.

The worst recoiling handgun I still own is the 329 PD in .44 mag - less than half the weight of the 460V, it has actually drawn blood (thumb) and regardless of load, stings your hand - hot loads leave your hand numb for a few minutes.

The 460V is a pussycat by comparison - although with the magnum loads, you do know you have shot a magnum, it is fun to shoot. Just not sure what I want it for.

BTW - I did sell the 460V this year.

Took a rifle, chainsaw and $ in trade.

I did this after I got a 325 Thunder Ranch in .45 ACP

This resulted in me giving up the .45 LC as a cartridge, but that isn't crucial as I have a 329 and a Rossi lever action carbine, in .44 mag that fills that same role.

Would be nice if S&W had made something similar to the 325 or 329 in .45 LC then I would have the .45 LC too, but again, not a big deal as the .45 LC is a nice to have, but not as much as the .44 mag IMO.

Would be nice if S&W had made something similar to the 325 or 329 in .45 LC then I would have the .45 LC too, but again, not a big deal as the .45 LC is a nice to have, but not as much as the .44 mag IMO.
Keep your eyes peeled for a 625 Mountain gun in .45 Colt. They are out there. Not quite as light as a N-Frame Scandium gun, but more shootable at the same time.

if you already have a marlin in 45/70
sell the 460 and get a bfr in 45/70

i did. :)
now i just need to go shoot it.
only had it less than a month......

Update: as I mentioned yesterday:

I sold the 460 and got a rifle & 325TR. So now I think I am rebalanced.

My vote for a .45 ACP revolver:

SANY5546.JPG

Smith & Wesson Model 25-2, previously called a Model 1955.

My vote for a .45 Colt double action revolver:

P6020002.JPG

Smith & Wesson Model 25-5, .45 Colt.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR