JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for good advice. Some is just noise. Will dive in to the newly acquired manual and see what this author can teach me. Spent the early part of day at Emerald Empire gun range in conversation with a group of shooter-reloaders-hunters on the topic of concentric gauge . Take away from today is confirmation of good stuff read here.

20191202_143714.jpg

Been reading and reviewing recently acquired manual. Still considering myself a student of reloading, though been involved for sixty years, liked the author`s commentary on page 55, "...Then select a bullet that provides appropriate terminal performance..." He adds, "Having chosen for proper bullet type, next consider quality in regard to terminal performance characteristics. There are significant differences. " And he adds, "Premium grade bullets can deliver much better terminal performance...." He lists A-Square, Speer, Nosler, Barnes, Winchester and Swift. His studied opinion. While topics is considering a concentric gauge, author suggests not skimping on bullet choices when hunting-shooting. Go figure.

Been reading and reviewing recently acquired manual. Still considering myself a student of reloading, though been involved for sixty years, liked the author`s commentary on page 55, "...Then select a bullet that provides appropriate terminal performance..." He adds, "Having chosen for proper bullet type, next consider quality in regard to terminal performance characteristics. There are significant differences. " And he adds, "Premium grade bullets can deliver much better terminal performance...." He lists A-Square, Speer, Nosler, Barnes, Winchester and Swift. His studied opinion. While topics is considering a concentric gauge, author suggests not skimping on bullet choices when hunting-shooting. Go figure.
That's the same author of a book I recommended earlier, possibly in another thread.

Mic McPherson: metallic cartridge loading; "pursuit of the perfect cartridge"

That's the same author of a book I recommended earlier, possibly in another thread.

Mic McPherson: metallic cartridge loading; "pursuit of the perfect cartridge"

Good addition to anyone's resources. Goes from general information to critical, without leaving gaps in detail. Well done, to you.

"Pulled the trigger"...sorry! Brownell had Sinclair Concentricity Gauge on sale, plus ten percent off for giving my email. Received today. Ready to put to work having sorted and weighed brass. Trimmed brass, as needed. Will measure for seating depth with overall length gauge and then use the new tool. Thanks for counsel.

20200107_123528.jpg

"Pulled the trigger"...sorry! Brownell had Sinclair Concentricity Gauge on sale, plus ten percent off for giving my email. Received today. Ready to put to work having sorted and weighed brass. Trimmed brass, as needed. Will measure for seating depth with overall length gauge and then use the new tool. Thanks for counsel.

View attachment 647904
Let us know the delta/change in your groups, if any.

View attachment 647904
IMO, you got the better of the two. I've got both, and I think the Sinclair is the better gauge.

Update: measured bunch of reloads. Large number less than .002 out of true. Others that were not that close were .004 plus or minus. None more than .005 Recent loads were the worst. Took sizing die apart. Bent decapping rod. Replacement installed. Can't wait to take Rem 700 to range with straightest loads. May run others through one of my AR rifles with grandkids.

Update: measured bunch of reloads. Large number less than .002 out of true. Others that were not that close were .004 plus or minus. None more than .005 Recent loads were the worst. Took sizing die apart. Bent decapping rod. Replacement installed. Can't wait to take Rem 700 to range with straightest loads. May run others through one of my AR rifles with grandkids.
Exactly why we have tools to measure. To find out what step may have caused an issue.

Shot in the rain today, light wind, 40 degrees. Bench rest was used with sandbags. Left target was soaked at the outset so holes are distorted. On both targets I used Remington 700 action, Timney trigger, Pacnor barrel, mounted on Bell Carlson stock. Bullets are 55 gr ballistic tip Noslers. Rounds for left target were .004 rurnout. Rounds for right were no more than .002 runout. Obviously, the Sinclair gauge makes a credible difference. Solved a long term frustration.

20200111_143855.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top