Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Should I have bought ammo?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Kevatc, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

I drove by a sporting goods store yesterday and they had a big sign saying they had ammo. The guy right before me bought the last 4 boxes of 9mm ammo so I didn't bother to ask the price. However, American Eagle .40 was being sold for $22/50 and .45 was $27/50. How do those prices compare to what you've seen?

2. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

I've seen .45 at Fisherman's for ~$20. So I'd say no :)

3. jblake00

jblake00 North Oregon Coast Active Member

Willamette Valley Arms has .40 for $17 a box, when available. 9mm was going for $13 per 50. Best I have seen in a while.

4. waldow777

waldow777 Hillsboro Active Member

When people stop panic buying we will see shelves fill up and prices go down. I would say just buy what you need for now. Just my .02

lowly monk and (deleted member) like this.
  5. FortunateSon

FortunateSon Marion County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It pays to shop around, and avoid paying inflated prices (which I think these are). I've actually been able to increase my stash of ammo since December and really didn't overpay for any of it. I'm not shooting these days as often as I used to, but still....

Just be careful where you buy and pick up a little at a time. Ammo is starting to hit the shelves more often now and even though there is always a limit imposed, if you hit the right places you can find what you need at or near "pre-panic" prices. I usually hit Bi-Mart and WalMart and shop the forum here.

6. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

Dpending on how much you have and how much you plan on shooting short term, I would pass. If you need it to shoot now, then buy, but if it is for storage, wait. Prices are coming back down. Just be patient.

7. peetar

peetar Kitsap County Active Member

I agree, prices have been steadily falling.

8. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

9. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

My local Fred Meyer had a fair amount of .223 today but they wanted 13.99/20. :wow: This entire ammo thing just really irks me.

10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

On Tuesday I scored two 200rnd. mega packs of .223 UMC FMJ for $80 each. That's pretty close to "pre-panic" prices.

Kev, IMHO you didn't "shoot yourself in the foot" by NOT buying that ammo.

11. bigmacattack

bigmacattack KING COUNTY Member

im a little pissed at cheaper than dirts screwing people over policy, but midway has some pretty decent prices. west coast armory is the only place near me that has any stock of 9mm and its 16.99 a box for independence. not too horrible.

12. Trick

Trick St Helens Active Member

Seen that too.....it was the Winchester 20 packs. I just kept walking. They had PMC a couple weeks ago that I picked up for sub-$9 a box of 20. That wasn't bad.

13. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Picked up some 223 Federal 100 rd. bulk packs at Walmart for $35 each. It's starting to come back.